*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1701006-The-Creation-of-Enu
by Enuwey
Rated: ASR · Other · Fantasy · #1701006
Once upon a time, there was a man who wished to have a daughter.
The Creation of Enu

Once upon a time there was a man who had everything. Women, Fame, Recognition, Love, Life,and his Stories. But the man still felt that he was missing something. The man had no heir, and up until this point had never had any thoughts of gaining one. The man decided to have a daughter, but was killed before a child could be acquired.

----
         
Many years passed for the man who was supposed to be dead, and as those years passed the man began to create a puppet for a daughter, having forgotten the real reason he had wanted a daughter in the first place. The man’s puppet was nothing more than that. A puppet, mindlessly following the orders of its puppet master, no thought, no action, no speech of its own.

---
         
When a certain story of the man’s came to life the man was enthralled. There would soon be an ending to the tale he had left unfinished when death had come for him. But as the story began once more, the man realized that without a guide the tale would end long before his time. So the man sent his puppet daughter out into the world as a guide to keep the story moving, and to stall the characters from their inevitable tragedies. But then something happened. Something terrible. The puppet the man had worked so long and hard to create killed her self to save the life of a few measly characters who were probably going to die anyway.

---          

As the man watched the flames eat away at the creation that had almost been his daughter, the man remembered the reasons he had wanted a daughter in the first place, and began to cry.

---

When his daughter’s daughter came onto the scene, little more than a child with a heart and mind all her own, the man decided to try one more time. This time he did not want to make just another puppet. This time the man wanted to create something that had a will, a mind, a heart, and thoughts all her own. This time the man would create a true heir, to both his stories and his legacy.

---

As the man’s last work came to a happy ending, and the man’s granddaughter came to live with him in his world between worlds, the man’s heir swiftly began to take shape.

---

First her mind. The man wanted an heir with a mind as curious and as plotting as his, but with quirks and ideas all her own.

---

Next came her body, the shell for which all that she was would soon reside. The man decided that although he would make her beautiful, he would also make her fade into the background so she could watch the world without its knowing she did so.

---

Her hands came after that, seeing as the man had quietly forgotten to create them along with the rest of her body. The man decided that her hands would be sturdy yet delicate. Artistic, dependable, beautiful in a plain sort of way, but always ready to wip out a quill and make things fit.

---

Then came her hair. Long, a bit choppy, and muted brown. The man’s inspiration came from a hardly little sparrow he had seen in his youth, and wished to reproduce in this heir of his.

---

What came after that was her voice. Strong, gentle, playful, or even evil; never quite dull. With this the man gave her personality, although he didn’t realize it yet.

---

At last came her heart, everything else she would need having already been added by the man. The man never did decide what her heart would be like. He created it in the way only he could, with words and wishes, and hoped for the best as life began to trickle into her.
---

When she opened her clear brown eyes she became all that the man had hoped and dreamed for. She was beautiful, she was alive, and she was not a puppet like the others had been.

---

He called her his Little Sparrow. And she called him her Uncle.

---

It was his granddaughter who decided upon her true name.

---

But even with a name the man still found reason to call her his Little Sparrow when it was just the two of them.

---

The day that she left for the real world was a sad day for them all. But it was a day that had to come. She promised to return often. And the man promised to always leave her door open. His granddaughter hammered away at her little toy drum, a happy little march for the one about to leave. There were no tears shed,  because she was going to come back soon.

---

But even then the man could not help but wonder what it would have been like if the he had gotten the chance to obtain and raise a daughter while his heart still beat.

---

On the day the man’s heir left she became Enu Sparrow, heir of Drosselmeyer, teller of a different kind of story.

-end
© Copyright 2010 Enuwey (enuwey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1701006-The-Creation-of-Enu