*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1701118-My-Life-With-Jose--Introdction
Rated: E · Other · Biographical · #1701118
Stories from the enduring marriage of an interracial couple.
My Life With Jose'


(Stories from the Life of an Interracial Couple)


Introduction


Jose and I met in 1969. I was twenty-two and he was twenty. I am African-American, black at that time, he is Mexican, Chicano at that time. In spite of the country's mood of acceptance for all, the Civil Rights Movement and the Flower Children, our relationship was not acceptable. In spite of the confrontations in the streets of the black ghetto, and the stares and disapproval in the barrio we continued dating. Our families objected at first but the members of both families who truly loved us eventually came to accept us as a couple and to know and care for us as individuals.

We were married January 10, 1975 and have been together since then. Of course there are many interracial couples. Most of them being black men and white women. This remains the case but there are more black women involved with non-black men. In 1975 a black woman with a non-black man bought out the “ugly” in people, especially black men. I have many stories of how this has affected our lives.

All these years together has shown me a certainty; nothing in society has changed, there will always be intolerance and hatred of those who are different. But at th same time acceptance and love is also here. The trick is to find and cherish the good and fight against the bad. Interracial couples, even those from minority groups have the same issues of intolerance, misunderstanding, and outright hate from society to cope with. We have encountered all types the good, the bad and the ugly. We have met many wonderful people, and enjoyed many wonderful experiences. I have forty-two years worth of stories to tell. Some funny, some sad and everything in between. I plan to tell these stories in no particular order, I'll mix it up. Some from today, and some from our past. I hope you enjoy them all.
© Copyright 2010 Claudia (claudia_r at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1701118-My-Life-With-Jose--Introdction