*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1701360-Ron
by emma
Rated: E · Other · Biographical · #1701360
Ron was born in 1956 in South Florida. POSTPOLIO SYNDROME
Ron was born in 1956 in South Florida. when he was 3  He had a cold,  as most kids get,then flu like symptoms. his doctor  said he had POLIO and rushed him to children's Hospital in Miami.he spent his first three months there in an iron lung, for almost a year after that. he spent his days with physical therapists and lying in bed  in the childrens ward with other victims of this disease with his legs and feet restrained by leg brace,high top shoes with long wood bottoms  so he would not be able to move his legs or his feet.

He was one of the lucky.....Some of the other children were totally paralyzed and some with both their arms and legs made useless by this disease.

Almost a year later he was well enough to come home with metal crutches,braces on both leg and special special corrective shoes.Oh, and i should not forget the acerbic acid which was to be taken daily.

As he grew older the crutches and braces fell away, but the corrective shoes lasted till about 10 or 12 when refused to wear the any more.

He became a carpenter, contractor, heavy equipment operator. Made a good living.

A few years ago he was having migraines, not feeling well,tired all the time, no amount of vitamin's or pain killers worked.  the doctor had no explanation other than he was over worked, 
Eventually he lost his job.Could not find another one... he is luckier that others in some respect. he has his own house and for a while he got unemployment, .

His pain kept getting worse, the headaches never seem to go away. he could barely make it to the mail box on some days. 

his  unemployment ran out, they turned off his utilities. Hr wanted to go stay with his mom,but she live 250 miles away. He was in such pain and his body shook from the nervous condition that this also caused he was afraid to drive and pride would not let him call someone to come and get him.








© Copyright 2010 emma (imma at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1701360-Ron