*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702873-The-midnight-castle-Ch1-p2
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1702873
Part 2 of my story. Enjoy! :)
Sami pulled his necklace off and pressed on the back of a small metal pendant that hung from it, a key flicked out. He inserted the key into the smallest padlock on the book which made a whirr then unlocked, the others followed suit by their own accord. The book whirred open to an empty page. Words began to slither out and glow softly on the page.

"Good morning Sami, it's been a while since we talked last."

"It has been keeper. I trust you slept well?" Sami's voice was quiet as not to draw the attention of any guards that may be strolling past on patrol. His words appeared in the book two lines under that of the books with a single initial before it. "S"

"Yes, as well as one could without dreams. Something about mortality I do miss." The book paused, possibly expecting a reply from Sami or attempting to create drama without sound. No reply was given. "What is it you wish of me this morning?"

"I have learned a new spell. I wish for you to record it and alter it if that would be alright?" The book was old, maybe by thousands of years old. Sami instinctively treated it with the up most respect, more respect than most would get from him.
"Do you have the original spell script?"

Sami pulled a neatly folded piece of parchment from the inside of his shirt, the keeper lifted the page slightly as Sami unfolded and slid the parchment face down on to the page below. The keeper took some time to analyse the spell script.

"This is not to complex, easily rewritten, what is it you wish to be done?" Sami was proud of his new ability, something about the keepers cold calculating and silent words stripped him of his pride. He took a moment to recover.

"I want to be able to talk while I am in that form."

It was breakfast time and Alec Fernheart sat in his usual seat of the mess hall at the far side from the entrance below one of the mess halls great stain glass windows. The sun was shining brightly through them, sprinkling the many rows of cold stone tables with a rainbow of colour that gave them a false sense of warmth and wel-coming the stranded occupants of the castle needed in such dark times. He peered up at Sami's empty seat. He had given up ponder-ing the reason as to why Sami is always late to breakfast when eat-ing is supposedly his one true passion since that night he caught him out after curfew. It was just a few weeks ago, Alec was on late night patrol. He was just about to take a quick peek into the mess hall when Sami burst through the mess hall doors with a large piece of cheese clenched between his teeth. His hands where supporting his shirt, which he had folded up and filled with other assorted edibles from the pantry. He let him go that time. Sami was his friend after all. He was an interesting man. Tall with a good figure dark brown handle bar moustache, matching lamb chops and relatively long hair that he kept swept back. It was an ideal look for the un-ideal guardsman to ever set foot within the castle grounds. Not like they had much choice these days.

Alec was just about to make a start on the cooks lovingly prepared steak he had been salivating over in the queue when Sami whisked the plate away as he walked by Alec's seat. Alec grabbed for it. In his desperation but lost his balance and fell back into the isle with a clank of his armour. Sam barely noticed as he sat down and began gorging himself on Alec's beloved steak.

"Morin Aleph" Sami could barely speak through the juicy thick steak. Alec picked himself up and brushed himself down, his metal gloves made a horrible screeched of his armour that floored almost everyone in the room. Alec automatically let out an embraced mile and a laugh.

"Sorry about that!" Alec turned to the thief sitting across from him. "Good morning to you to!" His voice was harsh with irritation
.
"Luff the sarcasm, Aleph" Sami smiled at him with steak filled ham-ster cheeks. Alec leaned in close, supporting the weight of his ar-mour with both hands on the table.

"Couldn't wait in the queue, boyo?" Sami put his fork down and looked over to the steaming canteen.

"No, I’m too hungry." Sami peered over at the food counter. "Better hurry up, this steak the cook’s made is going fast!" With a flash, Alec flicked his gaze over to the item in question faster than what Sami thought was humanly possible.

"What!" He ran off towards the counter, his armour clanking as he went.

"Does Alec ware that in his sleep?" Sophie’s warm voice was music to Sami’s ears. He looked over his shoulder at the girl. Her affec-tionate expression and fair skin made him blush.

"Good morning Sami." Her voice was so soft. Sami smiled at her. His usual habits had started to kick in as his reply did not quite make it to the surface before she sat down next to him.

"Morning Sophie." She smiled at Sami as she hugged into him, their usual morning ritual. As they pulled away, Sophie suddenly realised something.

"Sami, I want to ask…" Alec dropped down on the other side of the table from them with a defensive growl as Sami's attention was brought quickly to the fresh piece of steak on Alec's plate. Alec peered at Sophie with his narrow eyes. They always made her feel uncomfortable.

"Good morning miss, Sleep well?" Sophie was just about to answer Alec's question when she realised that she had neglected to feed the cats before feeding herself.

"Oh god's, not again!" She jumped up. "Do beg my pardon but I must go." Sophie turned form the table and rushed across the hall holding her long black skirt up from her feet so she did not fall. Sami made best use of the distraction and pounced for Alec’s steak only to be swatted away.

"I'm not letting you get at this one! You're so gluttonous." He watched as Sophie disappeared out the door. "Where is she running to?" Sami shrugged and then reached for the ceiling as he preformed his morning stretches.

"You probably scared her." He said casually.

"Me?" Alec jumped to his feet and brought his fist down on the ta-ble. "I find that idea most intolerable. A gentleman like myself could do nothing but enchant and enthral young women such as Sophie. A man of my…" Sami's attention began to dwindle. The idea that he had possibly managed to start Alec of on one of his famous rants began circling in his mind. That soon changed to daydreams of the world outside; beyond the swamps and his old life before getting trapped here. "And like I said before, the idea that a man as kind hearted and as good looking as me could scare someone is an insult and sin against my name." He was just about to begin on another sentence before Sami interrupted.

"Alec, calm down, it was a joke." He laughed as Alec realised he had the entire dining rooms attention. Alec dropped in his seat and looked about nervously.

"Sorry" He whispered.

"Don’t worry about itch" Alec was just about to make a start on his steak when he realised Sami was chewing on it.
© Copyright 2010 Samuel J Macvicar (soulsam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702873-The-midnight-castle-Ch1-p2