*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1703213-Happy-Innocence
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #1703213
A real story describing how kids are serious in their dealings.
Happy Innocence!

After returning from school, one day my younger daughter came beaming with a question, “Mama! Mama!  Today is Shraddha’s birthday, will you allow me to attend the party in the evening?” It is not that I’m a strict mother and don’t give the kids the required freedom but I often have to change my city on account of my husband’s transfer and somehow the situation becomes that I don’t know the address of all the friends of my two star daughters. The elder one, aged 12 manages her outings on her own, courtesy the bicycle group of her friends. I remain hesitant for the 7 years old party animal as who will drop and pick her up at 8.30 in night. Perceiving my dilemma she said, “Don’t worry, her father will come to pick me up for the party in the evening.” I asked, “How the host will spare the time for you.” Without answering she started doing her homework, also finished her lunch only in half an hour. Other days this boring ritual lasts for minimum two hours. Keeping an eye on the wall clock, she started to play with dolls besides teaching her virtual students. She has her corner of imagination with real blackboard, chalks, duster and of course stick to punish the non-existent pranksters. It started raining then and she came with the query as to when that rain would stop. I soothed all her anxieties about the rains as well as for the ‘odhni’ which she was to wear. The admiration for sarees and odhni which the 4-8 age group girls exhibit, confirms the immortality of culture of our country. The clock struck four and she, after assigning homework to her students, came to me,”mama, help me to get ready.’’ I decorated her with those earrings, bangles and hair accessories which matched best to the lahenga-blouse-odhni trio. Intermittingly, she would see her reflection and guide me in her make-up.  Before departing for the event, she was on cloud nine when she looked herself in the mirror. She went to her doll to comfort so that it shouldn’t cry in her absence and by quarter to five she was standing at the main gate of our house with gift in her hand. She didn’t want to waste a single second after the arrival of her friend’s father. The clock struck five, five –thirty but the gentleman did not appear. By quarter to six, she couldn’t bear anymore and tears came rolling down her cheeks, but she remained stood at the gate. I felt very bad that I should have been more skillful mother and should have taken numbers of all her friends leave alone Shradda. God knows why she didn’t take and she did not know her surname either. So, I can’t even ask someone about the location of house of birthday party. Enters my husband in the unusual peaceful home and takes the little girl on his bike to land in market. They bought a cake and returned. In order to brighten the mood of our daughter he offered to celebrate her friend’s birthday at our place itself. My younger star cut the cake and we all had our share of cake. After gulping a small piece, I went outside quickly to shed that extra calorie, when I saw a gentleman on a bike standing at our main gate. He asked me that why Nanmun was not sent for the party. I understood that he was Shraddha’s father and instantly explained my situation as to why we couldn’t send her. Then he told me that he had given that responsibility to Mr. X, who knows both the families well, in afternoon itself. This fiasco happened because Mr.X forgot to convey me and escort my daughter. Hurriedly he told me to send Nanmun as he has came for that purpose only. I said, ”party must be over by now”. He replied that the birthday girl has taken a stand that she would not cut the cake unless and until Nanmun arrives to whom her father had promised to escort. Hearing this Nanmun ran off to the bike in such a proud gait as if she was the princess of whole earth. And she was, her friend made her day.

© Copyright 2010 enquiria (nanmun at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1703213-Happy-Innocence