*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1704378-The-Call
by
Rated: · Other · Technology · #1704378
the idea of this story came from the song "The Call," by Matt Kennon.
         "So....you called me to come over to sit with your back to me all night?" David* asked quietly from behind me.  I felt the bed shift a little under his weight as he reached for me.  Taking a quick glance at the clock on my dresser, I realized I'd been sitting in silence for almost half an hour.  "Babe?  C'mon, say something.  Anything.  You're really starting to freak me out."

         "I'm late," I uttered finally.  His hand dropped from my shoulder, and I turned with just enough time to witness the color drain from his face.  "I thought it was just the stress of sending out applications to schools and finals coming up soon, but it's been weeks and still nothing." 

         "Aw, man," He ran his hands over his face and stood. "Did you...when are you going to know for sure?  I mean, do I have to go get you a test or something?" His voice rose with his emotions.

         "Please keep your voice down.  If my parents find out you're here this late there will be no need for a test, because I won't be alive long enough to take it." I waited until he was sitting down again to continue.  "You don't have to buy anything, I already have one.  I was planning on taking it tomorrow morning, it says morning pee is best."

         "Now...take it now," he choked out.  "Please, Kara."  Leaning forward, I quietly pulled open the drawer of my bedside table and took out the pink box. I shuffled across my bedroom, opening the packaging as I went, my heart in my throat by the time I reached the bathroom door.  I went in alone, did my business then laid the test on the sink to wait the approximate 3 minutes. Resting against the bathroom wall, I slid down to the floor, my arms wrapping themselves around my knees.  How could you let this happen, my brain screamed at me. The birth control, taking all the necessary precautions, for what?!  That three minute wait felt like an enternity, and couldn't help but tear up as I rose from my spot on the floor to read the results. Two pink lines stared up at me. A shakey hand grabbed for the doorknob, and eased the door open. "Well...?" he all but demanded as I came into view.

         "Positive," I mumbled, holding up the evidence for him to see. He stumbled back onto my bed, and buried his head in his hands.  "What are we gonna do?"  Waiting for his response felt like an even longer eternity, but when he finally did answer I almost wished he hadn't.

         "How are we gonna have this child?  We're 18 years old, not even out of high school.  We're heading off the college soon, babe.  Do you really think we're going to be able to take care of a child?  I can barely take care of myself."

         "So what are you saying?"

         "There's only one thing to do. I'll have the money in your glovebox tomorrow morning, okay?"

My head shook slowly, "I don't understand."  Outstretched hands beckoned for me to move closer, and when I did, he took my hands in his.

         "Baby, just think about this for a second.  Let's say we go through with this, and have this child, that means you'll have to give up your dreams of travelling to third world countries and helping all those people with your inventions.  Are you really ready to give that all up just because we made a mistake?  It doesn't have to be that way.  There's a way out of it, you just have to trust me." He stared up at me with the same stormy grey eyes that got us into this situation.





...still a work in progress, more to come....
© Copyright 2010 ♥ (girl_in_love08 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1704378-The-Call