*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1705245-KAWFEE
by ChrisP
Rated: E · Essay · Biographical · #1705245
Grands grow up
"So now your drinking "kaw-fee," I said.



"Coffee," she said, and started to giggle.



I watched my beautiful sixteen year old granddaughter, Krystal, as she giggled.  Her face was flushed, her blue eyes sparkling with that twinkle of humor.  My heart filled with love for this sweet women/child.  Growing up so fast.



It's funny that Krystal has coffee with her Mom on their "Thursday together time," the time she doesn't have to share her Mom with her siblings or anyone else.  It's funny because her mothers idea of coffee is one oz. of coffee, six oz. of milk, and lots of sugar.



Krystal is the first of my grandchildren to become a coffee drinker, even her older cousins don't drink it, so I see this as a rite of passage into the world of grown ups. I am glad she is sharing this with her Mom and hope she finds coffee drinking a comfort as she finds her path in life.  It is not easy to be a teen today.



I remember my first cup of coffee.  I was fifteen, at my boyfriends home with his family. A package had arrived from family in Puerto Rico, which included fresh coffee beans.  After the beans were ground and a pot brewed, we all sat around the table to chat as the coffee cooled.



It was the best!  The color was brown, with steam floating above the cup.  The aroma filled the air with it's exotic scent, earthy and sweet.  At first taste I knew why no one needed to add a thing, it flowed smoothly over my  tongue, with a natural sweetness of its own.



Over the years I have tried many coffees, but I have never been able to duplicate that wonderful coffee.  Maybe it was the company?
© Copyright 2010 ChrisP (parks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1705245-KAWFEE