*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1705554-When-It-Rains-It-Pours
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Mel<3
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #1705554
Jordan is having difficulty dealing with the fact that her parents are getting divorced.
Jordan Nicholson sat cross-legged on her silk pink bedspread. Her nose was pressed up against the window pane as she watch her dad load moving boxes into the back of his old red pick up truck. Jordan had lost track of how many precious memories she and her dad had created in that pick up truck. She still couldn't get over the fact that he was moving back to his hometown in Indiana and leaving her mom, her little sister, Haley and her in Oklahoma. All of Jordan's life she'd thought her parents were happily married but if she wasn't so naive and had been reading between the lines, she would've figured out that their marriage fell apart seven years ago when Haley was born. Jordan couldn't help but believe that Haley was the reason for their parents divorce but deep down she knew that wasn't the real reason. Tears were running down Jordan's cheeks as she watched her dad climb into the truck and drive off. As much as Jordan wanted to go downstairs and hug her dad one last time, she knew it would only make her more upset. Her father did promise that she and Haley could come to Indiana for a week in the summer but summer was still four months away. Jordan was still in shock that her parents were calling it quits after being together for eighteen years. It seemed like everyone's parents were getting divorced these days. Her best friend, Ashley's parents had been divorced for about a year now. Her aunt and uncle had been divorced for about three years now and most of Jordan's friends and classmates from school had divorced parents.

Half an hour passed and Jordan decided to watch television to get her mind off of her screwed up family. Her favorite reality show, The Way I Feel About You Now was half over when she heard her mom say,

"Jordan's in here. She's a little shaken up over Scott leaving today, just fyi."

"Thank you, Ms. Kimberly. I won't stay long." A familiar voice replied. There was a knock at the door.

"Come in," Jordan approved. Ashley popped her head in the door.

"Hey Jordan," she greeted.

"Ash! What are you doing here?" Jordan asked, jumping out of bed, throwing my arms around my best friend.

"I saw your dad at the gas station on his way out of town while I was working. I had to come by and make sure you were okay."

"Thanks."

"Here, I brought you some beef jerky." Ashley added, throwing a stick of beef jerky at her best friend. Beef jerky had always been Jordan's comfort food.

"Thanks." Jordan thanked, ripping open the package and devouring the stick of beef jerky. Ashley took a seat beside Jordan on her bed.

"I know what you're going through, Jord." She assured. "So if you never need anything, don't hesitate to ask."

"Thanks, Ashley. That means a lot to me." Ashley hugged her best friend.

"I have to go back to the gas station though. Brent only gave me fifteen minutes to come check on you."

"Thanks for stopping by, Ash." Jordan thanked.

"No problem. I'll call you later, okay?"

"Okay." Ashley works as a cashier at the Get Gas and Go down the street from Jordan's house. She has to help her mom pay the bills because she doesn't have a decent paying job since she dropped out of high school when she was seventeen because she got pregnant with Ashley. Ashley is so positive about it though. She works her ass off everyday from four to seven and never complains an ounce. Jordan admired her positive attitude. She knew she would freak if she had to work. Jordan's mom came in Jordan's room after Ashley left.

"Ashley's a sweetheart, isn't she? She came all the way over here just to see if you were okay." Jordan's mom commented.

"And to give me a beef jerky." Jordan added.

"You're really lucky to have a friend like her."

"I know."

"Maybe you could have Ash over to spend the night tonight. It would get your mind off of your dad." Mom suggested.

"I don't know. Maybe next weekend. I just want some alone time."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"Alright, Sweetie. But if you change your mind, Ashley's welcome to come over, okay?"

"Okay." Jordan's mom exited the room. Jordan didn't appreciate her attempt at being cheerful. Just because she was cool with her dad's moving out, didn't mean Jordan was too. Her mom was too happy time. Jordan turned the television back on and tuned out the world.
© Copyright 2010 Mel<3 (imjustmel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1705554-When-It-Rains-It-Pours