*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706436-Soldiers-Story
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Military · #1706436
What does the military really give soldiers when they prepare for deployment?
Soldier’s Story


June 3rd, 2013
My arm hurts. They just gave my platoon the shots they’ve been talking about for months. We still don’t know what the hell they gave us. Said something about making us “more efficient”. I don’t see how a damn shot can do that, but whatever. I’m paid to kill, not think. Lt. Col. Gallagher advised us that anybody that refused the shot would be court-martialed, and I for one do not feel like going through that over a stupid injection. In two weeks we will be deploying. Let’s see what this shit does, shall we?

June 7th, 2013
Sgt. Johnson died today. He was the best team leader my squad has seen. We don’t know WHAT happened. We were walking home from the mess hall when he just kinda snapped. His eyes were bloodshot and he had a crazed look on his face.
“I can fly”, he said, then took off running. He ran up the fire escape on the battalion building and jumped. His head just EXPLODED when he hit, but the weird part is there wasn’t much blood. The medics ordered everyone to stay away until they could clear the body. You fucking idiot, Johnson. Why’d you do that? You were my best friend. What could have possessed you to do this?

June 12th, 2013
They ruled Johnson’s death a suicide caused by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder due to his 3 terms in Iraq. Bullshit. I served with him during and after the war in Iraq. He was fine. He was fucking FINE.

June 20th, 2013
We arrived here in Lithuania two days ago. We had another death upon arrival. Our platoon leader Second Lieutenant Davis didn’t pull his ripcord when we jumped in. We found his body, and his cord hadn’t even been touched! What the hell is going on here? They can’t say PTSD for him, he’d never been in combat before. Does this have anything to do with that damn shot they gave us?

June 29th, 2013
Our patrols have been going well lately; the civilians don’t want us here any more than we want to, but they are tolerant of us. I hope it stays that way. Last night, two Lieutenants from Intelligence paid a visit to our camp. They spoke with our platoon sergeant, Sergeant First Class Evans. When they finally left, he looked pissed. Wonder what they wanted?

June 30th, 2013
The boys from intelligence came back today. They assembled us all outside the camp and told us a little more about our injections. They said that it was a new serum developed to keep us fighting in the event that we are injured in combat. Apparently, it blocks pain receptors and makes our blood clot as soon as it makes contact with air. They wouldn’t tell us any more than that, however. I’m really starting to question whether or not this was a good idea. This serum sounds dangerous. Did they even bother testing it? We did ask them, but they wouldn’t answer.

July 4th, 2013
It’s been pretty quiet the past few days. They took everyone off patrol today since it’s the fourth. They brought in beer and steak, and we all had a great time. I drank in Johnson’s memory, God rest his soul. I miss that asshole. Why’d he hafta die? I wanna know more about this shit they gave us. I think I’m going to pass out. Drank too much.

July 10th, 2013
We ran into trouble last night. My squad and I walked into a damn firefight. The locals were fighting each other over God knows whatever reasons. Two groups of about twenty each; one group yelling to the other, shots being fired, then yelling again. The process kept repeating. When they saw us, they starting firing at us instead of each other. We took cover, but Specialist Stevens wasn’t quick enough. He took two rounds in the chest, but he didn’t fall. He didn’t really bleed, either. It was strange, but I guess the serum worked. He didn’t even know he was hit. He survived, and I tell you, he took out four of the bastards that shot at us. Lucky shit. He was hauled to the medics when the battle ended. Hopefully he recovers fully, though I don’t think that’ll be a problem.

July 11th, 2013
Stevens was back today. He looked fine. I asked him what they did in the medics’ tent, and he said they gave him another shot. Why? Some sort of booster perhaps? I really wish I knew more about what was coursing through our veins.

July 12th, 2013
Stevens killed himself today. Just took a pistol and blew his head off. What the FUCK!?

August 15th, 2013
I haven’t been myself lately. I can’t finish my sentences, I can’t think strate. I hate this. I think it was that dam shot. Every patrol gets shot at now. Hell. I am in Hell. Help me…please.

Awgust 29th, 2013
It hurts. My arms and legs are on fire. I want my mommy. I’m skared.

Awgist 30
My leg don’t hurt no more. I chopt it off. Stupid leg.


Excerpt from the Stars and Stripes, September 3rd, 2013
“Tragedy has struck the Army camp in Lithuania. Staff Sergeant James Everett was found locked in a supply shed in the makeshift motor pool, his left arm and both legs severed. He was found days after being reported AWOL (absent without leave) by his unit. It is reported by an un-named source that he was found in the shed only because he was heard yelling ‘I’m all better, Mommy. You can come get me now’. The Army has said that he apparently suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (commonly known as PTSD), a result of several tours of duty during the war in Iraq. It was also stated that Everett was found with a journal of some sort, but the soldier’s commanding officer would not confirm or deny the existence of it when interviewed. SSG Everett is survived by…”


© Copyright 2010 Jared Lord (nekrataal0 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706436-Soldiers-Story