*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1707099-Pokemon-Battlefield
by Cedi
Rated: NPL · Other · Fanfiction · #1707099
Sometimes, you must do more than sit on the sidelines... (P/1)
**AUTHOR'S NOTES**

For one, as I can only have up to ten items in my portfolio, and this story will eventually grow to more than ten chapters, I'm going to write everything in this one item (Or maybe split it into multiple sections, each with multiple chapters), and edit it as neccesary for new chapters. Look to the Brief Description for a key on how much of the story is written thus far.

**AUTHOR'S NOTES**





Prologue to Battle

June 10th, 2010 AD

         Everyone had been very familiar with the policemen throughout the streets of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. Their identities among each other might have been… similar at one time or another, but that makes them all the more comfortable to talk with. And their trusty Growlithe and Arcanine were powerful Poke’mon that never let a criminal escape. Nothing wrong with them, right? Well, on that date, a new Chief of Police was hired for Sinnoh, as the old one had gotten literally old. With that, he replaced every last officer. I’ve heard the same happened to Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn. The new police, admittedly, was much more efficient, but something seemed… odd about them. I couldn’t help but feel worried when I came across one in the street. Your country might not have the same justice system as ours, but in the 4 regions of the Poke’mon League, the police themselves sets the laws, as long as they are within reason in the eyes of the government. It wasn’t too long after the new Chief of Police’s assignment that a new law was passed- all weapons and combat arts became forbidden to be used by humans. Don’t misunderstand where I’m going- Everyone has relied on Poke’mon to fight and defend themselves for as long as history remembers, and that’s a good thing. But that recently passed law… is there even a REASON for it if you’re either a Trainer or completely defenseless? Not even criminals ever relied on more than Poke‘mon to attack. Something didn’t seem quite right to me, although I didn’t think about it much until a couple months later…

August 2nd, 2010 AD

         That was the day my life turned upside-down. I suppose I should introduce myself before I say anything else, shouldn’t I? My name’s Sentou. I’m a 15-year old guy living in Hearthrone, Sinnoh, who often wears a black headband right at the hairline of my silver, spiky hair. I also wear a white vest and black pants, both made of leather. I didn’t notice it back then , but I guess that makes them pretty durable too. I have large, red eyes, and I also have a pair of fingerless gloves like plenty of Trainers do. Speaking of which, I’ve gone on a Poke’mon training adventure… a year ago, was it? My partner on which was no other than my trusted Chimchar, now an Infernape. I also got my hands on a Riolu during my journey. What was I out to do? The same thing as everyone else; to become the champion. Sadly, I never even defeated one gym leader. But hey, I don’t regret it. I’ve also taken on fencing once as a hobby, and nothing more. Of course, I’ve had to stop ever since the Anti-Arms Law was written…
         It all started as some ordinary day, just a few weeks before school started again after summer. I had gotten out of bed, threw on my clothes, chugged breakfast, brushed my teeth, and rushed outside towards the usual spot. I tend to have Poke’mon battles with my sister, Yarushi, on Saturdays like today was. She has long, brown hair and dark blue eyes, and tends to wear clothing that is light and green. Sometimes, she likes to put on a feathered cap of some sort. Her Poke’mon of choice are Roserade and Vespiquen. She actually has a bit of a hobby herself outside of Poke’mon training- archery. You can already guess where her bow has lied since June 10th. I’m protective to her, but she always says she can take care of herself. Admittedly, I never thought she could until recently. You’ll see what I mean in due time.

         By that usual spot I mentioned before, I meant a small grove just outside of Hearthrone. We had both reached it in just about the same time. We had our hands on our Poke’balls, and had eyed each other with that “I’m not losing today” look. Just seconds later, we had sent out our Poke’mon- Riolu stood on my side, and opposing him was Roserade.
         “Whenever you’re ready, Sentou!” Yarushi announced.
         “Alright, Riolu! Use Force Palm!” I ordered. Riolu runs up to Roserade, his palm glowing with energy.
         “Roserade, stop him with Bullet Seed!” My sister commanded. Roserade fired seeds from her flowery hands like a machine gun, hindering Riolu’s progress.
         “Tch… there has to be a way around that defense…” I think. Then I realized a hole in her strategy. “Aha! Riolu, use Foresight!” I yell. Riolu manages to find a way through Roserade’s sweeping seed fire, and land the earlier ordered Force Palm.
         “We’re not done yet, are we Roserade? Use Poison Sting!” Roserade fires a series of venomous shots at Riolu.
         (Ah… Poison sting can cause trouble if that connects in the wrong way.) I think. “Leap up and use Force Palm!” Riolu jumps into the air, dodging all but one Poison Sting, and then falls down on the flowery rival.
         “Dodge it, Roserade!” Roserade gracefully sidesteps the attack, causing Riolu to strike the ground. Suddenly, the ground below Riolu’s palm starts to crack! The earth below the two of us began to shake…
         “Wh-what’s going on?” I ask rhetorically. Before I know it, the ground gives way below Riolu and I, who plummet toward the earth below! I manage to grab Riolu’s paw, but that leaves my own life in jeopardy.
         “S-Sentou!” Yarushi extends her hand for me, and I stretch my arm to reach it. But before I can, I fall down to the abyss underneath…
         I don’t know what happened up above right after that. All else I can say is that the recoil I felt after hitting the ground was nothing compared to the pain on the adventure I was about to face…




Chapter 1
Paladin


         That fall had knocked me out when I finally reached the bottom. I didn’t know it at the time, but it took me a few hours to become conscious again. Miracuously, I was devoid of any serious injuries. No bleeding, no broken bones… just a sore backside. Riolu, on the other hand, looked much more dire than I was. “Riolu!” I run over to the small Poke’mon, reaching into my bag. (All I’ve got is one Super Potion…) I thought. It was either this or leave Riolu in pain. What kind of Trainer would I be to choose leave him in pain? After applying the medicine, Riolu slowly opened his eyes. “Are you okay?” I ask, holding him in my arms.
         “Ri… riolu.” The Poke’mon replied in his own language. His nodding says yes, but his weak voice says no. Still, Riolu’s always been a fast healer, plus I can’t count on medicine to work just seconds after applying it. I decide to assume it does work, and stall any rash, dangerous behavior of Riolu’s with a few more words. I look up above us and observe the chasm we had just fallen down. We couldn’t even see any light from down there.
         “Where are we…?” I ask. From the looks of it, we were in some kind of underground cavern. “There’s no way that one Force Palm could have made all this… I think this might have been here for a while, and the ceiling of this cave might have been really thin. Your attack might have caused that ceiling to collapse…” I decided. “I left Infernape back at home, so we’re on our own in here. Let’s hope there aren’t any wild Poke’mon…” I pray, looking around us. We were inside a large, cylindrical cavern, and the ground was dotted with stalagmites. The only exit from this ‘room’ was a lone tunnel behind us. “That tunnel doesn’t look completely natural… did somebody make these caves? Either way, it‘s the only way we CAN go…” I observe. Making sure I didn’t miss any details, I slowly made my way into the small tunnel, hoping it would eventually lead us back aboveground…

         Unlike the cave we came in through, the rest of the caverns had actual ceilings to them in sight. Ceilings that acted as many a Zubat’s sleeping quarters. We were fortunate enough to avoid waking any of them up, however. I notice some small lumps of stone sticking above ground, but the rock around them is too hard to dig them up and examine them. Eventually, we came into a wide open cavern with a few points of interest- a stone tablet of some kind, and a stick poking out of the ground.
         (What’s that…?) I wonder. My curiosity got the better of me, and I approached the rock. I read the words on it out loud…
         Here lies the vigilant hero, Arc. May he rest in peace, for he has gone to great lengths to give us our own peace.
         285 AD to 342 AD

         “A grave?” I ask myself. I then recalled the many stones I saw on my way to this room. “Wait… could this entire cave be one large, convoluted cemetery?” I wonder. I take a closer look at the stick. Upon closer examination, it looked like a sword of some sort. Albeit rusted, it seems rather strong. “What’s this doing here? There’s nothing about this kind of stuff in our recorded history…” I decided to reach out for the blade. As soon as I did, I felt a shock in my mind.

         “Are you OK?”
         The voice of a young boy came into my ears.
         “Please, get up! You can‘t leave me yet!”
         I slowly opened my eyes, my vision still blurred. I must have fallen unconscious again from the aforementioned shock. I saw that the sword I touched lied in my right hand. I was lying against the cavern walls, with Riolu standing in front of me.
         “Ah, what a relief! I was worried something horrible happened to you!”
         I couldn’t see where the voice was coming from. I got back up on my two feet and took a walk around the room, but nobody else was present.
         “Hello? Can’t you see me? …” I heard a sigh following that. “Oh, what’s the point? I’m sure he saw me, and he can’t understand me anyway…”
         “Wait a second…” I leered behind me to where Riolu was standing.
         “Master, are you sure you’re OK?”
         For a second, I wasn’t. I stood in awe for a few seconds.
         “What’s wrong, Sentou? Is something wrong with your face?” Riolu asked with a concerned tone.
         “I… I… Impossible…”
         “You’re fine, then? You look as if there’s a ghost behind me.”
         “… how? Since when did you learn to talk, Riolu?”
         “What?!? You can understand me all of a sudden, Master!?” Riolu asks, just as confused as I am.
         “You mean you don’t know either!?” I exclaimed in confusion.

         “Ah, my apologies. This is what I get for not explaining our pact beforehand.”
         This time, the voice sounded quite like a young human man. I looked behind myself again, and saw a figure I had never seen anything like in my life. Except maybe in one of those copyrighted Japanese RPGs. He had neat, brown hair, and a pair of brown eyes. He bore some kind of light, white armor and donned a yellow and blue cape, and held in his hand a sword of some kind. His body even seemed… transparent.
         “… and you are?” I ask. In my mind, I declared that this was the weirdest day of my entire life.
         “My apologies. I am Arc, the very man whose grave lies before you”. The man described. Well, maybe I shouldn’t say man, considering he appeared to be about my age, but he sounded much more refined and experienced than me.
         “… so you’re DEAD.” I confirmed. That explained his ‘transparency’.
         “Correct. I have resided in the proper realm for the passed away, the World of Spirits, for centuries. But as of late, He commanded that I return to this plane of existence to stand guard over the very sword I once wielded.”
         (So, he used to use a sword? Is this guy even from Sinnoh?) I wonder. “He? Who is this ‘he’?” I asked.
         “I cannot tell you. If you truly do not know, I have pity upon this new age who lacks respect for Him. All I am permitted to say is that I have been given orders from Him to forge a pact with the first living man to touch the blade that rests in your hand”.
         “… and that would be me?” I ask.
         “Correct. Well, to be honest, we have not forged the pact yet. I am simply giving you a sample of what this pact will be like”.
         “So this ‘pact’ thing is why I can talk to Riolu right now?” I made an educated guess.
         “Correct again. However, I can only make this temporary pact for a few minutes unless you agree to forge a permanent one. In doing so, you shall gain permanent rights to my blade, the ability to speak with… what’s the modern term for magical creatures? ‘Poke’mon’, yes? And I may be available whenever you require an advisor”. Arc explains. I take next to little time to think over this- using a sword or other weapon is illegal, plus what could I possibly gain from having him give me advice? It all felt like a sudden, weird dream that I wanted to end.
         “I refuse this pact.” I reply.
         “Very well, He and I respect your decision. But should you change your mind, He is always watching, and may establish the pact at any time you wish”. With that, the phantom turns away and walks, slowly fading into the background.
         “… wait! Why did ‘he’ send you in the first place?” I tried to ask. But by then, it was too late.
         “Rio rio…” Riolu said in confusion. I could no longer make out whatever he said. All of a sudden, my right hand bearing Arc’s sword was filled with shocking pain. I didn’t plan to take it with me anyway, so needless to say, I dropped it onto the ground in retaliation. Dropped the metallic sword onto the stone ground. Which was, unknown to me until it was too late, very close to a flock of Zubat resting upside-down on the ceiling above us. The resulting clang had woken up said Zubat flock. They flew towards us, looking rather disturbed by their rude awakening…

         “Gah! Riolu, run for it!” I screamed in panic, running for my life from the venomous bat Poke’mon, Riolu tagging along. As we progressed through what felt like a million caverns and tunnels, our pursuers grew in number. We were occasionally forced to dodge a Wing Attack, Gust, or some other move within Zubat’s arsenal. “Tch, it’s no use…” I started to think, wearing out from all the running. Then I realized a rather large stalactite hung above the narrow passageway a few feet ahead. “It‘s a long shot, but it might work! Make some distance, Riolu!” I strategize, placing all the energy we had left in one final sprint to ensure we had enough time. We passed under the stalactite, while the many Zubat remained across the corridor. “Now, use Force Palm on the stalactite!” Riolu responds by leaping on the walls, and letting out a shout before striking the cone-shaped rock with his hand. In doing so, the stalactite collapsed, causing it to plummet down below. That, and a number of rocks that fell with it, had blocked off the passage just enough to keep the Zubat from continuing their chase.
         “Riolu…” Riolu expressed his exhaustion from the sprint with a wipe of his forehead and a collapse to the ground. I did the same, panting heavily.
         “I think… we’ll be safe… here…”, I barely spoke, still gathering my breath. Having much more time, we slowly paced our way forward through the caves.

         Eventually, the two of us had grown weary. “I can’t go on any longer…”
         “Rio riolu…” Riolu nodded in agreement.
         “Maybe we can rest here for a minute… or 60”, I decided, tired of all our efforts to find an exit. As I lied down against the rock formations, a drop of water fell on my head. I had assumed it was just a drop from a stalactite, until a few more dropped onto me. It was only a matter of seconds until I realized what was going on. “Oh, look, it must be raining…”
         And a few more to realize what that meant. “Raining!?” I looked up above, and saw a few gaps in the rock above us, leading to a dark and cloudy sky. “Just what happened to dark and gloomy clouds being a bad sign!?” I exclaimed, dragging Riolu along with me down the passageway. Only one turn later did we come across an exit to the caverns. “There it is! We’ve found the exit!” My tears of joy had become mixed with some of the rain leaking through the surface overhead. I ran all the way to the end of the caves, where I found some familiar sights. “This looks like Route 209! Hearthome City is just west of here!”
         “Riolu!” The excited Fighting-type shouted its own name with relief. We marched through the weather, feeling rather triumphant. I was mistaken to not take the dark and rainy weather as an omen for the bleak…

         The Hearthome City gates were in sight. The guard at this particular gate was sleeping, and I can’t blame him- the guy sits there 24/7, doesn’t he need some shuteye now and then? The sky was so dark, you wouldn’t know it was still afternoon. My mind was still clouded with thoughts about Arc, the mysterious ghost I had seen underground. I tried to think it was all a strange dream from my unconsciousness, but I knew that I was just lying to myself. Riolu and I had just barely crossed into city limits, our clothes and fur dampened by the rain. I had thought everything was going to be okay, but in reality, this was just the beginning.
         I gazed off toward the distance, and saw red and blue lights flashing in harmony with a loud siren. (Police lights?) I had thought. (Our house is just by that spot… did someone try to rob us?) I wondered. I had to get closer anyway. In the distance I could see some policemen talking into a microphone, and two more restraining a young woman. (She looks too young to be thrown into jail…) I thought, taking note of the prisoner truck nearby. She looked… just about my age.
         “HELP! I’m innocent! What do you jerks think you’re doing! First my brother falls down a hole from nowhere, and now I’m arrested for nothing!?”
         I recognized the voice almost immediately. “Yarushi!? What the heck is going on!?” I demanded to know, running right next to the scene of the crime. From close up, there was no doubt about it- that was my sister they were arresting.
         “Quiet, you! These records show you’re in clear violation of the Anti-Arms Act!”
         “I quit archery ever since that law was passed! Isn‘t there an amendment or something that proves I can‘t be arrested!?”
         “Wrong country! We’re taking you in for questioning, and stripping you of your Poke’mon!”
         (This… this is RIDICULOUS… No, LUDICROUS!) I immediately thought. These policemen were arresting my sister, a minor, on grounds not even legal by the very laws they set! “LEAVE HER ALONE!” I immediately vaulted over the police line and between some policemen and the restrained Yarushi.
         “Sentou! Get outta here! I’ll be OK!” Yarushi insisted, struggling to wriggle free of the officer‘s grasp.
         “Hey, isn’t this punk the girl’s brother?” One policeman held my records of fencing.
         “Yeah, that’s him alright. Arrest him, too!” On that order, three Poochyena were sent out on Riolu and me. “You two, take the girl away. We won’t have any trouble with this kid…” With that, the two with my sister hauled Yarushi into the jail truck and started to drive away.
         “Arrest my…” I resisted the temptation to use words that would displease the younger audience. “Riolu, use Quick Attack!”
         Riolu ran like the wind, using his speed to strike one of the Poochyena with his body. The enemy didn’t even flinch at our attack.
         “Is that all you got? Use Bite!” On his officer’s order, the Poochyena sunk his fangs into Riolu’s flesh. Riolu reeled back in pain, but still stood with energy to fight.
         “Poochyena, Tackle the suspect’s Riolu!” Two of the wolves had chased down Riolu, preparing to ram their bodies into my only line of defense. Luckily, Riolu dodged both of them with a single leap.
         (Can these guys really make those kinds of taunts if they can’t even beat an outnumbered kid’s Riolu…?) I had thought. Suddenly, I took a quick look at Riolu; he appeared weaker than he did right after the Bite, yet he was not scratched since then. “What the…? No!” I suddenly recalled my battle with Yarushi’s Roserade, who managed to strike Riolu with a single Poison Sting. That one shot must have poisoned him, sapping him of his strength ever so slowly since then!
         “Looks like the culprit’s had some kind of bad luck. Now’s our chance!” The policemen once again ordered their Poochyena to Tackle Riolu, who was too occupied with his poison injuries to avoid the blow.
         “Riolu!” I shouted in shock. Riolu collapsed to the ground, barely able to stay conscious. “No…” I uttered to myself.
         “That should take care of your henchman. Now, arrest the boy!” The remaining policemen had approached me, completely helpless to defend myself anymore.
         (No… it’s all over.) I began to think. (Riolu’s down, and he’s the only Poke’mon I have with me right now… I‘m defenseless to protect myself from a group of corrupt policemen, and I have no chance of convincing the courts of our innocence. Plus, if I did, if these men have the nerve to pointlessly arrest us, I‘m sure they‘d do everything in their power to tip the scales in their favor. I failed to protect myself… I failed to protect Riolu… I failed to protect Yarushi…)
         That was when a vision of the rusted sword I found underground thrusted itself into my head.
         (Wait. I might still have the option to form that pact with Arc. But… how can I know these guys aren’t the only corrupt policemen? What if it’s only this group? I’d be breaking a major law for next to no reason. Then again, it might be the only way…)

         At that moment, I was so occupied that it felt as if time itself had frozen. Before I could blink, I started to vision myself floating above the ground. When I looked below, I saw… myself. Observing the police’s lack of movement, and raindrops suspended in midair, I started to think time DID freeze or something. Confused, I continued to rise until I eventually reached a few white clouds above the black rain generators. I rested my feet on the fluffy mass of water vapor, and before me I saw Arc and a mysterious, majestic silhouette impossible for me to make out the figure of. The only features I can recall are blood red eyes and an odd symbol jutting out from its back. I had assume it was some kind of Poke’mon, and possibly the ‘he‘ Arc referred to many times.
         “So, I see you must have had second thoughts about our offer?” Arc asked, no longer appearing transparent. “Pardon the interruption, but He has severed your soul from your body so that we may discuss this matter without worry of the ruffians below”. He explained, thus explaining why I was looking at myself down below.
         (You mean his master MOVED MY SOUL out of my body, and yet I‘m still alive and unconscious down below!? What kind of being am I dealing with?) I wondered in curiosity. “Let me confirm something. If I form this pact, I can use your sword, speak with Poke’mon, and you will be a guide of sorts for me?” I asked, believing I’d need all of those except the third.
         “Correct, child.” The ominous figure spoke with a powerful voice. I was stunned in amazement for a few seconds, but quickly gathered myself together again- I was afraid this might not be the creature I’d want to disrespect. “My servant will do all of this for you, if you agree to bind the deal.”
         “I must warn you”, Arc began, “that once you form this pact, I will be bound to you for as long as you live, life-threatening crisis or not. And needless to say, the authorities will be less than pleased by your possession of my blade.” I thought over it for a minute, making sure I was truly willing to take this risk.
         “… I’ll take my chances. The old police wouldn‘t have done anything like this, but this new police… I felt just a tad suspicious of them from day one, and I must find out why they‘d do such a thing as they are now. Heck, I need to learn why replace the entire police force in the first place! I can’t do this even if I had Riolu and Infernape at top shape, and I doubt anyone else is going to believe me. Plus, Riolu might be left for dead if I don’t do anything now, and my sister…” I stopped myself from entertaining any more unpleasant thoughts. “I can’t just sit on the sidelines and give orders if I‘m going to do this. I have to join the battle if I want to survive”.
         “Very well”, Arc extended his right hand to me. I slowly reached out until I held it in my own. The gigantic creature’s red eyes flashed, and a white light blinded me as I shielded my eyes with my other arm.

         When I removed my arm from my eyes, I found myself standing upon solid pavement once again. My right hand still was holding something… when I took a look at it, I was once again holding the sword. Although it remained rusted beyond repair, it actually appeared useable. In front of me were the cops who were about to take me, who now stood back in amazement and possibly fear.
         “You call yourselves the arm of the law, when you can’t even respect said law yourselves. Even if we actually have broken the law after it was made, you cannot arrest a minor under the penalties of an adult criminal. I am going to do everything in my power to stand for what I believe in and right your sins!” With my speech out of the way, I held the worn blade into the sky.
         “What are you waiting for? Attack him!” An officer ordered. Although confused at first, the Poochyena followed orders and ran towards me, fangs at ready. I took a deep breath, and focused on the oncoming threats. When they were an arm’s length away, I sliced the Poochyena with my sword, leaving myself without a scratch and many of them on my assaulters. “What!? How can he be so skilled with that piece of trash!?”
         “Relax, just get his henchman!”
         “Se… Sentou…” Having made the pact with Arc, Riolu’s words were once again crystal clear as promised, although his voice was weak from his wounds and poison.
         (They’re not going after Riolu, are they?) I sprinted with all of my energy to put myself in the distance between the Poochyena and Riolu. “If you’re going as low as to attack a fainted Poke’mon, then you must go through his Trainer first!”
         “Fine, then! Show no mercy!” Following that command, a fierce battle was commenced between myself and the three Poochyena.
         “Master…” Riolu remarked as I fought fearlessly when I was clearly outnumbered. “He’s going to such great lengths…” I struck a Poochyena with the blunt side of my blade, knocking him out as I barely dodge the tackles of the other two. “… even risking his own life…” Another Poochyena sunk its teeth into my arm, causing me to reel back in pain, but still guarding Riolu. “… just to protect mine…” A saw a glow behind me, but I paid no heed to it as I hacked and slashed with everything I had to stop the assault.

         “Huff… huff…” I panted, having fought for so long and so rashly with so little experience. The two remaining Poochyena also stood weakened as I was, but the victory still appeared to belong to them, as they had numbers. One of them started to remark to the other, not knowing I could eavesdrop on their growls.
         “For a human, this kid’s not a bad fighter… we might have to resort to attack plan Beta.”
         (Attack plan what?) I wondered. Before long, one of them lunged toward me, where I dodged just by an inch. I fought back at the one who lunged at me while I noticed the other seemed to have disappeared. I took caution, and looked all around myself to make sure he wasn’t planning taste my vest from the backside. Within 20 seconds of combat, I finished off the one who didn’t vanish with a thrust into its side. (But what happened to the other-)
         “Gotcha’!” I felt the ground below me shake before I was tackled where I least expected it to come from- underground. Knocked down, I used the sword as a walking stick, severely injured.
         “Darn it… he got me with Dig.” I remarked. I tried to gather the strength to stand back up, but I remained on my right knee and my left foot forward. (This looks like it. I’ve done everything I could, and it still wasn’t enough. I’m done for…)
         “Heh heh, this kid put up a good fight, for a human. Too bad he won’t get a chance to learn his lesson…” The Poochyena said to himself. His fangs sharpened, preparing for one last bite where it’ll hurt. “This is for my brothers back there. You better say your-” Before he could finish his sentence of barks and growls, a large, blue orb flew towards him. “What the-!?” The orb impacted the Poochyena as his eyes grew wide with surprise, exploding and knocking him out. I looked in the direction the orb came from, and saw a tall, blue figure whose hands were glowing with a blue aura.
         “That is what happens when you endanger a Lucario’s master”. The figure spoke in the few seconds Poochyena had left.
         “Riolu… is that you?” I asked.
         “Of course, Sentou”, the Lucario spoke to me. I gasped in amazement when I confirmed that my Riolu had evolved into Lucario! “Tell me. Do you know of how a Riolu evolves into Lucario?” I shook my head, not knowing the answer to this riddle. “It requires no more than his trust in his master”, Lucario answered. Both of us knew that Riolu had always trusted me, but the fact that I gambled with my very life to save him must have increased his trust to that very level required. Biology is an odd subject, isn’t it?

         “You take care of these so-called policemen, Lucario”, I ordered as I finally stood back on my two feet. I saw that, somehow, the jail truck was still in sight, nor did any men aboard it seem to notice that their brothers in ‘justice’ have been defeated. “Come back here, you…!” Once again omitting poor language, I shifted my mood from proud to enraged as I began to pursuit the truck.
         I ran through the deep puddles caused by the still-falling rain, using every alley I knew of to create shortcuts to the truck. I could count my blessings that they didn’t even notice me, but what’s worth celebrating when your sibling is being innocently taken from you!? I rushed through an alley with the most haste, sure that I would find my target at the end… but instead, I found a gigantic mass of nothing. I looked all around, refusing to accept that I had lost the truck, but eventually, it all sank in. “No…” Whether or not I survived back there, one fact remained- I lost. I lost Yarushi. “Why…” I began to question if there was even any point in staying a free man. My sister meant everything to me, and now, she was gone. “WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?” I channeled all of my rage, confusion, and frustration into one single shout, piercing the heavens.







         The next day, I woke up in my room, my sword hid from my parents under my bed. Yarushi’s Vespiquen and my Infernape were both missing- I assumed the police took them both for evidence, confiscation, or something. I didn’t want them to know I just tangled with the police, so I told them Yarushi went on a journey to become the Poke’mon champion, and that I let her borrow Infernape for it. She actually kinda wanted to recently, so they believed it. It’s miraculous enough that they were both at work while her arrest happened. I had woken up a few hours early, and was surprised to see Arc’s transparent face greet me.
         “What are you doing!? What if my parents see you?” I whispered.
         “Relax, Sentou. Even if they were awake, I can only be seen by those He permits, and He will base that upon your beliefs of who and who should not”, Arc explained to me. “I feel pity for you that your sister was taken captive, but I must admit that you have surpassed both His and my expectations yesterday. When I was alive, there was a common belief among the residents of the world- only cowards stay behind off the battlefield, but only fools rush in alone.”
         “Your point?” I asked.
         “My point is that you are both brave and you have a strong heart. The point of that saying is that in my time, those who are of the greatest respect are both strong warriors and can co-operate with Poke’mon wonderfully. You fought with far greater skill than I would expect for a first-timer, and your will to protect Riolu- pardon me, Lucario- is something I respected greatly, and reminds me of myself. You deserve the title of a paladin, one of the highest honors of my time”.
         “A paladin, huh…” I picked up the rusted sword and looked at it in awe. (If this sword could be so powerful when it’s so rusted, imagine it’s strength in full repair. But why forge such a sword in the first place…?) I had wondered. I could ask Arc, knowing it’s his sword, but I didn’t want to know that badly. Besides, it probably relates to an event from his past. “Oh, that wasn’t my first time. I used to take fencing as a small hobby I did on the side of Poke’mon training. I’m not sure why, I just thought it looked interesting”, I explained to Arc.
         “Really? Fascinating”.
         “Well, it’s going to become more than a hobby now…” I looked out towards the window. “I’m going to need it if I want to find Yarushi”.
         “The day is young, Sentou. Perhaps we may make our tracks now?” I thought about it for a second.
         “… yes.” I clenched my fist. “Mark my words, world. I’m joining the battlefield, and I’m finding answers on it”, I devoted myself to finding not only my sister, but the truth behind the new police force. What could they want? Was it really by chance that Arc formed his pact with me? And who is the godlike entity he worships? Not knowing where to go, I decided to set my course to Route 209...

         … and so my adventure began.
© Copyright 2010 Cedi (cedifonei at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1707099-Pokemon-Battlefield