*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1707800-Obamas-End-of-Iraq-War
Rated: E · Article · Political · #1707800
This is a reflection on the speech President Obama gave on teh war ending in Iraq.
President Obama has given a speech on the end of the war in Iraq. He starts by telling Americans that we have been at this war for a decade now. From the very desk that President Obama was sitting at was that seven and a half years ago President Bush announced the start of the war in Iraq. It’s time for a change; he states “the future is ours to shape with confidence and commitment”. Operation Iraq Freedom is over; the soldiers have completed every mission that was given to them. He encourages Iraq leaders to move forward with their government and make them strong. All troops will be out of Iraq by the end of the year 2011.  However, as troops are drawn out of Iraq troops will be sending troops to Afghanistan to support the offense there. We have been at war with Afghanistan for 10 years and Al Qaeda is still plotting against the United States. But, President Obama states that “we cannot do for Afghans what they must do for themselves.” They will make the transition to Afghan responsibility in August 2011. He also mentions and praises our troops because without them the United States won’t be where she is today. They secure the dream that “A better life awaits anyone who is willing to work for it and reach for it”.

I think that President Obama did well in remaining loyal and keeping his promise to withdraw troops from Iraq. He also gives us details about what was going on and what was handled. However, I disagree with the fact that he will be sending more troops now to Afghanistan to finish the job there. But, I do understand that it is needed in order to get the Afghans together and to end the war quicker. What makes me disagree is that being a sister of a troop it makes it hard to watch them go and worry for their safety. President Obama displayed empathy for the families of troops and what they go through. Overall, I believe it was a great and informative speech.
© Copyright 2010 Butterfly13 (salcedo13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1707800-Obamas-End-of-Iraq-War