*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1708315-Dark-Night
by Likan
Rated: E · Fiction · Mystery · #1708315
Suspense Filled story of Mr & Mrs. Wall
It was a dark night. The mighty wind was showing its ardor by whizzing past the giant trees and making them shake like frenzied tribals. The merciless rain god was pouring relentless water droplets making the whole highway look cloudy and hazy. In that serpentine highway, a car was trying its entire engine to speed up against all odds. Seated in the car was Mrs. Mary Wall.

Mr. Steve Wall was in his study having a news paper and a cup of coffee. Seating on his comfortable couch with legs out-stretched on the table, he was relaxing after a busy day at office. Mr. Wall had just started reading an article about the U.S. economy and its impact on developing countries. Just then he looked at his wrist watch - a fine black Swiss made Rado, which was gifted to him on his recent b’ day by his beloved wife, Mary.
"Oh! It's 8.30 (p.m.), Mary should have been home", he uttered to himself.
Steve lifted himself from the chair placing the newspaper on the table but still holding the cup and took a little sip from the almost empty cup and moved towards the window and raised the curtains to see the outside view.

"It's raining badly", he said in a complaining tone.
"Let me call her", picked up his cell phone and dialed Mary's number.
"When you are really in need, these screwed up networks don't work", he growled to himself frustrated.
"Let me have another cup", muttered and went for the kitchen.
Just then the door bell rang. Putting the cup near the coffee maker, he dashed for the front door. On the way, unknowingly, his eyes went to Mary's photo case on the table near the flower vessel beside the wall. Steve felt a sense of happiness seeing the bridal photo of his sweetheart. After all, after so many days they will be getting some time to spend with each other. With a pleasant smile he opened the door. There stood Mary with a faint smile on her face.

"Hi honey" he greeted and hugged her gently.

She kissed him on his lips in return and smiled.

"I started to get worried. It was raining so heavily", he said to her making a comfortable room for her to come in.
"Your patients must have been lucky to have you as their doc. Who on earth would go to such a faraway place in this type of weather", he said complainingly as well as appreciating his wife’s guts.
"Oh dear! They need me." she replied quickly with a smile.
"And me?" He inquired with a mischievous smile.
"Let me take a shower and I will let u know what I think…. About you", came a reply with the same mischievous grin & a wink.
She left him stand in the middle of the drawing room and watching her go.
Steve walked slowly towards the kitchen to pour him another cup of coffee.

It was just when he took the first sip, the phone rang.

"Hello". Steve answered after adjusting the receiver to his ears.

"Is this Mr. Steve Wall?", replied a strong but concerned voice.

"Yes" he answered.

"I am detective Justin Blake, NYPD."

Steve was surprised rather alarmed a bit by the call of a police officer at this hour.

"What is this, officer? Is there anything wrong?" he asked with some uncertain fear brooding within him. He did not know why he is feeling a bit nervous.

"I am afraid yes. It's your wife. She has met with an accident here on the highway gas station and I am sorry to inform u...",he took a pause and said, " she is dead".

Anger and frustration circulated through Steve’s mind and he exploded, "what kind of nasty joke is this? She is with me. She arrived just a couple of minutes ago."

"aaaaahhhh..... Are u sure?” Came a surprised answer. "But we found from the dead body an identity card which read Mary Wall and a purse with a mobile having your residential number from which I am calling."

Steve quickly looked at the caller-id. It indeed showed Mary's number.

"But how can that be possible!!! She is in the bathroom" but this time Steve's tone was not angry. He was feeling some kind of strange feeling in him....

"I would appreciate if u check and give us a confirmation about your wife, Mr. Wall", the officer asked for.

"Just  wait." He replied to the officer holding the phone and turned to the door of the attached bathroom. He can see the door clearly from where he stood.

"MARY", he shouted. No reply.
"MARY, ARE U THERE?" He could hear his own voice only.
The receiver fell from his hand and bounced against the carpet on the floor of the bedroom.
Steve dashed for the bathroom door and opened it with a jerk.
The room was empty, leaving Steve in an eerie silence................


Likan
© Copyright 2010 Likan (likan_qul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1708315-Dark-Night