*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1713048-Lines-On-My-Face--Part-I-
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #1713048
A story of a creative mind that finds an outlet in a unlikely place
Same old routine...Leave work, drive-thru dinner, then hit the local Wal Mart for the bare essentials before making the thirty minute trip back to the house. What a horrid existence. Drone, robot, pendulum, tick-toc...The days go by like tv channels. I used to be quite funny. I used to be silly. I would often say " Silliness is the end result of unchallenged genius". Whatever. I love being in public. I can't help but observe everyone around me. It's very entertaining to piece together the lives behind the faces, The stories written with wrinkles and expressions. That, is how I discovered how judgemental and paranoid I can be.Wal Mart, to me, is a small slice of what is going on outside my self-created microcosm. I think that is what Wal Mart wants me to believe...And, I will obey. I've been programmed to.
In an effort to be nice, I wait patiently for a young hispanic woman and her child to decide which brand of toilet paper is going to bring them the most comfort, savings, and love when potty time rolls around. I think she is reading the label, as if it might contain MSG or high fructose corn syrup. Her child, a young boy about four or five is checking all the packages on the bottom shelf. Apparently to ensure they can be thrown in the middle of the aisle and ridden like a Hippity-Hop. They have all passed inspection and he is on his way to a shelf lined with aerosol cans...Lovely. Mom has found the toilet paper of her dreams and begins to yell at the kid in Spanish. I know enough Spanish to know that the current minefield of cans and paper was not mentioned, and they bore their way out of the aisle.I begin to push my basket through the debris and reach for the multi-family pack of double-ply, double roll quilted. Of course, an employee walks around the corner and promptly begins muttering expletives under his breath.I think he's pouting. He looks up from the mess and directly into my eyes and scowls. Without thinking I blurt out "I didn't do this!". He didn't respond. His facial expression didn't change. He just turned and stormed off. Really? How often do middle-aged men come in here and trash aisles? Wait... That was a stupid question. This is a "super" Wal Mart.They have seen that type of behavior more than once, I'm sure.
Someone please explain to me why the hell there are five-thousand different shampoos! They need a help desk for product selection."Number seventy-two!". "That's me!,Hi,I was looking for a shampoo that will clean my hair and doesn't smell like ass. Any suggestions?"
There is an elderly white woman standing in front of the light bulbs staring as if she is looking for her youth.
She is lost in the technology of modern lighting options and remembers a simpler time when there were two kinds of bulbs...working and not. "Number ninety-seven!". "Yes young lady can you tell me which light bulb'll keep me from steppin on Mister Fluffy Doodles?".
© Copyright 2010 Keelhaul (keelhaul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1713048-Lines-On-My-Face--Part-I-