*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1714317-The-Caregiver
by kevo
Rated: 13+ · Other · Writing · #1714317
A lonely farm widow needs a helping hand. But is it the hand of a monster
The car swung violenty back onto the road as Judy sprang awake and jerked the wheel. Her eyes the sharp left corner she was quickly approaching. She slowed down but still ended up halfway off the road, her tires sliding in the loose gravel of the shoulder. Judy locked up the brakes and the tires screamed to a stop. she took a quick moment to regain herself. She knew she was tired, she had been up since daybreak, but she had never dozed off while driving. She rolled down her window to get some air, and turned the stereo up almost as loud as it would go. She was tired, but there was no way she was sleeping out here in the middle of nowhere in her car. She put the car in gear and headed down the road. She was about an hour from home. She had spent the day doing odds and ends around her farm. Her husband had died the previous year, and since her only family member was a daughter who lived three states away, not much got done as far as the farm went. She had sold off all but a handfull of the cows and chickens. The garden was so overgrown with weeds that no vegetable would dare try to grow. And the barn looked as if it was begging to be knocked down. A recent wind storm had really done it in. Yes, the beautiful home her husband and she had built had really took a turn for the worst over this last year, but it was still her favorite place to be. It was home. As her car sped on, Judy began to regret taking the trip into town that evening. It was nearly seven thirty by the time she finished the chores and got something to eat. Mr. Fronter from the shop in town called to tell her the riding lawnmower she had brought in for repairs was ready to be picked up. Judy asked if it could wait, but Mr. Fronter informed her that he would be going out of town for nearly a week in the morning, so if she didn't get it tonight she would be without it longer. She relctently agreed to make the ninety minute trip into town to pick it up. The trip into town had been fine. She stopped at the candy store to grab some pecan clusters and then headed to the shop. With the mower loaded securly in the trailor behind the car she headed back. But now her eyes began to burn, she yawned as she drove past the familiar Freds Gas sign. 'Freds Gas' Fuel, Food, and Fred. 2 miles. What a relief. She was almost to Freds. Freds was the last sign of civilization as you headed out the country road toward the farm. He was open till ten. Judy glanced down at the clock on the radio that was blearing. Nine thirty seve. Perfect, she would have time to stop and get a last minute cup of coffee for the road.
The only car in the parking lot was Freds old pickup when Judys headlights flashed across the parking lot as she pulled in. She pulled along side the building so her trailor would be out of the way in case someone else pulled up. Not like that was very likely, but still. As Judy rounded the corner of the building she nearly ran straight into Fred. "Whoa there. Fred, what are you doing standing out here? You scared the daylights out of me." Fred nodded his head in the direction of the pay phone out in the parking lot. "I'm seeing what the hell this guy wants. Judy looked over and saw a large Native American looking man sitting on the ground right beside the phone. He had on a jean jacket that was to big for him and his back pack, which sat on the ground next to him, was runnuing over with random things. Cooking pots and such. "He's been out there for a while. Came in the store and bought a pack of Winstons. Paid in all change. been out there every since smoking and eating, i dont know, looks like popcorn or something. If he don't get along by time i close, think im gonna call the sherrif." Fred was peeking over the gas pumps at the man now."I'm sure he's nothing to worry about Fred. Probly just a drifter whos taking a break. By the time you wake up tomorrow, he'll be to Hudson County. Now quit stareing and grab me a cup of joe if you still got any." Judy thought it was funny how Fred thought everyone was out to rob him blind.



































© Copyright 2010 kevo (coosbaykevin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1714317-The-Caregiver