*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1714385-Broken-Home
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1714385
A prose that follows a young boy while his parents are fighting.
A small boy sits huddled in the corner humming melodically in futile attempts to drown out the constant squabbling of his soon to be separated, divorced or however they plan on titling their new found freedom. The air reeks of utter disdain as the empty accusations fly through the air as cannon balls would between two pirate ships. She fights to keep the tears back; he fights to not sound like his father. Their young son can't take any more, stands up and belts out "I left the milk out, so stop fighting". The boy’s honourable attempt to tame his parent’s harsh tongues is thwarted by a short lived hollow comforting from the same parents he tried to comfort. With new found ammunition the argument grows fiercer as it continues its downward spiral. One blaming the other for teaching their offspring to lie, striking a nerve in turn sending a retort about the wife's inadequacies. Fighting the overwhelming urge to weep the boy releases what he believes to be a bombshell "I wish I was never born!" he injects resentfully and hastily storms up the stairs to his room slamming the door as he has seen done countless times before. Instinctively diving into his bed underneath the non-judgemental sheets of safety. The last ditch effort by their son resets the mood to that of a sombre one, both of them if only momentarily raising the proverbial white flag setting aside their differences to go and attempt to coddle the troubled boys emotions.
© Copyright 2010 Ryan Darling (rjcobra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1714385-Broken-Home