*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1716849-Fresh-Grind
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1716849
Last minute entry to The Writer's Cramp"
Fresh Grind

{linespace:2.0)  The invasion had started just before midnight.  Banked along the side of Highway 68 was a 24 hour diner and motel called the Dew Drop Inn.  Harry veered his truck into a large spot and powered down the vehicle. He stared out towards the diner and noticed a man stumbling out.  "He must be drunk" muttered Harry as he unloaded himself out of the truck.  As he made his way towards the diner, the drunk approached him.  He didn't speak but just lumbered towards and bumped into Harry. Harry pushed him away and the man crumpled to the ground.  Sputum fell from his mouth and as he sank to the ground, he spat out "doan eart meeroaf."  "Whatever," Harry thought as he headed into the diner.
    Once inside, he eased into a stool at the countertop and opened up a menu.  The Dew Drop Diner offered a variety of foods -- everything from soups to steaks.  harry had a craving for something meaty, maybe a beef vegetable soup or a juicy New York steak. The waitress came over.
"What can I get ya?" she asked as she pulled the pencil from behind her ear.
"What's good tonight?" harry inquired.
"Well, our soups are made fresh every morning."
"That's 18 hours ago," Harry thought to himself, "how fresh can that be?"
"Naaa, I think I'll go with something meaty," he said.
"You know what, we grind our own meat in the back so maybe a burger or the meatloaf sound good to ya?"  Harry remembered the man outside and his warning suddenly came back to him.
© Copyright 2010 Wordsmith (lmakim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1716849-Fresh-Grind