*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1717275-Prologue
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1717275
This is the prologue to a story that I am currenly writing.
Prologue


Wispy tendrils of translucent cloud covered the full moon's light, a large and dark foreboding mass following closely behind; I knew it was only a moment or so before I would feel the cool rain drops upon me. The sound of the poles slicing through the humid air brough back memories of long ago; memories that would send chills down most human's spines. At least for this reason, I guess it's a good thing I am no longer human.

Near frozen rain pelted unyieldingly upon the fisherman, yet they continued with hopes of "bringing home the big one." Only the so called "hardcore" fishermen remained on the jetty, the others having ran for cover long ago when the ebony quilt appeared. The wind whipped crazily making the rain sting a bit, but no one mentioned it; they didn't want the others to think they couldn't handle weather like this. Besides, everyone knew it would soon pass and the fishing would be at its best when it did.

Kaleb pulled the hood's drawstring tighter when he realized there was water running into the front of his shirt as it trickled past his trench coat. Suddenly, something tapped his line, "fish on!" His bellow sent the men into a frenzy of excitement; some pulled their lines for fresh bait, some did so only to recast, and someone ran for a drop net. His pole bent so hard it nearly snapped, if he hadn't loosened the drag precisely when he did, it probably would have.

By the time the fish made surface, the storm had passed. Kaleb grumbled, annoyed by his catch, "damned catfish." The not-so-quiet snickering from a fisherman close by only irritated him further.
© Copyright 2010 MrsPaul08 (jpaul08 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1717275-Prologue