*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1717795-First-Things-First
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1717795
Grog has his priorities. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: Write a story about someone long dead and risen from the grave in an unfamiliar, modern world.

First Things First

Grog’s eyes popped open, displaying an instant alertness that caught the scientists off guard.

Moving only his head, he slowly took in the strange new surroundings. Odd shaped suns hovered overhead, seemingly near enough to touch – although he knew from experience that such a thing was not possible.

“Hello in there. Can you hear us?”

The sound came from – everywhere.

Somehow, Grog understood the question. “Where am I?” he asked with an oddly British-sounding accent.

Again, from all around, “You are in our laboratory. We have brought you back to life using the genetic coding found in your fossilized remains. A language augmenter has been placed in your head so that you can communicate with us.”

Grog understood immediately. Then, just as quickly, he lost interest in the “everywhere” voice. There were more important issues at hand. First of all, he was starving. Grog took a minute to look around before finally saying, “food.”

Almost on demand, a small opening appeared in the wall of the “cave” and a tray of something, apparently edible, was pushed through.

He attacked the offering with great enthusiasm. Each time he cleared the plate, another full one appeared. Soon, he sat back and held his bloated stomach in both hands. He didn’t know where or even “when” he was, but this place was one he could easily get used to.

The “everywhere” voices continued to pester him but he paid them no mind. Although full, he definitely wasn’t completely satiated. There were other needs to fill. He got up from the floor and again began to search his immediate environment. He was looking for something very specific. Finally, he managed to tear a leg off of a chair. This would make a fine club.

Perfect.

Looking up to the everywhere voices, he said, “woman.”

Word count 300



http://www.jimdillingham.blogspot.com

© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1717795-First-Things-First