*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1718778-Hush-little-baby
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1718778
My entry for the Dialogue 500 competition. Word count: 471
"We've got another one here!"
"Oh, not another one..."
"Yup! Get your behind in gear and take her out back."
"Do I have to?"
"Do I have to pay you?"
"Fine, but we can't just keep doing this."
"I can do what I bloody well please. Bleedin' whores come in here and get themselves caught up with that man. They shouldn't take the drinks, that's all I'll be saying about that."
"But she's not-"
"Take her out back and then go home. They're of no use to anyone. Bloody women..."
"Eurgh...she's heavy for a little one...I can do it but it's going to be a difficult...oh...he's not listening anyway. Lets get you outside shall we? Yes. You do look lovely in the streetlights, even with this spot of drizzle. But then again, I think that's why he picked you don't you? Pretty little thing, no one around. I wonder where your father is right now?
"Uurgh"
"Yes, that's what I said. You're getting the hang of this! I bet he's worried. It's ok though, I'm here now. I can look after you, protect you from the outside world. Tom wants me to leave you and go home, well I would never do that, would I? What kind of person would I be to leave you out here all alone? And with such a short skirt on too. Silly girl. Still, the drugs will wear off by the morning. Be glad he found someone prettier, that's all I can say. Heaven knows what's happening to her right now..."
"Where am I?"
"You're under a street light my little darling. I'm just propping your head up now...there we go. You look so angelic. I'll just pat you down, get those creases out...there we go."
"What are you-?"
"It's ok, just fixing you up so you look pretty for the policemen in the morning. They'll find you alright, you'll be fine. Lets do your hair as well. My little girl. That's what you are for the night."
"Eeergh"
"I know. I know. Maybe I should sing you a song? I think my little princess deserves that, don't you? Definitely. Let me hold you now."
"Where is Mike?"
"Mike's long gone by now. He slipped you a little something and left you. Isn't that sad?"
"I want Mike."
"I know, but shh now. It's ok. Hugh little baby don't say a word..."
"Please let me go home."
"Shh now. Paps gonna buy you a mockingbird..."
"Don't..."
"And if that mockingbird don't sing."
"Please...please..."
"You won't be able to stand up until morning my darling, there's no point trying now. I'll keep you safe until then. Papas gonna buy you a diamond ring..."
"Mike..."
"And if that diamond ring turns brass, Papas gonna buy you a looking glass..."

Word Count: 471
© Copyright 2010 Elena Salvatore (panyd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1718778-Hush-little-baby