*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1719518-Sororate-Chapter-3-Updated
by onaya3
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #1719518
B & Declan Babysit The Next Generation Of Sabre's

3rd September 2227

It was approaching six o’clock and I knew Declan wouldn’t be home for another hour.  He’s had a lot of work at the Garage lately, so I didn’t wait for him to cook dinner.  Mind you, my food preparation was nowhere near his gourmet skills, so I resorted to heating up leftovers coupled with a supermarket bought salad.

Maia and Brandon were staying with us this week, whilst their parents were away.  They were attending a conference for Tribal Elders of indigenous people, to discuss environmental issues.  Their parents went along as assistants to the Lokoti Tribal Elders.  It was a hoopla of an event, with the President of the United States and the Prime Minister of Canada, attending. They were joined by several UN Environmentalists, as well as a couple of Hodge Endeavour representatives. 

I was invited to attend, thanks to my role as the Head Chairwoman on the Board of Directors, but I didn’t feel inclined.  Besides, I like playing the role of the mysterious owner of one of the word’s most powerful companies, where only the Board knew what I looked like.  I had given the Circulate Mainframe the go-ahead to send the company’s best lawyers and scientists to assist the Lokoti Tribal Elders.  There had been a couple of pollution problems without the proper protocols followed, which I knew would be brought up.  I gave the Hodge Endeavour Legal Department, the ‘green light’ to nail our competition over their failings. 

Since Declan and I were seen as the ‘old but not elderly’ couple with no young of our own; our relatives had no qualms about ‘dumping’ their kids on us.  However Maia and Brandon Sabre were now 17 and 15 years old, and although they were old enough to take care of themselves for one night, they weren’t mature enough to be left alone for five days.  This meant that the sister and brother, were sleeping in our spare bedroom. We had twin beds which were perpetually on standby, in our role as our families’ backup babysitters.

In the beginning, we helped Declan’s human brother Derik and wife Rachel, mind their kids for a night here and there.  Next, we helped their children by babysitting their offspring now and again.  As time passed and our grand nieces and nephews had kids of their own; our spare bedroom and services continued to be used.  We didn’t mind, we saw it as a change to our rather solitary lifestyle.  We managed to keep our hands (or claws) to ourselves, for a night here and there in the company of little folk.

As our relatives died of old age - with the humans faster than the Werewolf ones - and new generations were born; my mate and I were simply called ‘Uncle Declan’ and ‘Aunt B’.  It would be too much of a headache to call us by the correct titles, ‘Great, Great, Great, Great Grand Uncle Declan’ or ‘Great, Great, Great, Great Grand Aunt B’.  We appreciated the fact that our human relations looked up to us and appreciated our advice.  Our elderly relatives whom we had babysat in earlier years, deferred to us on many family matters. 

Into the third night of our babysitting adventure; I was in the kitchen tossing the home-made dressing through the pre-made salad whilst the lasagna was heating up in the microwave.  Maia was supposed to be helping, but she was too busy complaining about her on again/ off again relationship with a non-Lokoti boy she was dating from Alma High School.  I tried to stifle my growl, this girl has been boy-crazy since she turned 13 years old.

“I don’t get it Aunt B,” she whined, “Hiro keeps running hot and cold!  One minute he buys me flowers and the next he ignores me!”

Brandon, whom was playing with an interactive, electronic comic book on the couch, he too was getting tired of hearing about his older sister’s love life.

“Yeah well, Maia?  I’m trying to ignore you too.  So whoever said ‘ignore them and they’ll go away,’ was lying.”  He grumbled.

She rolled her eyes before she continued; “I mean, Hiro bought me flowers last weekend when he took me out for hamburgers and a movie.  But today when I walked past with my friends and he was standing by his locker talking to his; he didn’t even look at me when I said ‘hi’ to him!”

“I would have gone one step further, by putting a paper bag over your head.” Her brother muttered.

I had to turn away and pretend to check on the lasagna, so I could stifle my snicker.

“When we were watching the movie, he tried to… you know, make out with me?  But I pushed him off because I don’t want to do that in public.”  She leaned back against the kitchen bench.  I had asked her to set the table, but she’d forgotten about it.  “Aunt B, I don’t mind holding his hand and giving him a quick kiss when other people are around, but I don’t want to be groped like that!”

My overprotective instincts as a Lokoti Werewolf, didn’t want her to be groped like that - period.

“Maia…” I tried to tell her that she shouldn’t feel coerced into doing anything she wasn’t comfortable with, but I didn’t get the chance.

“What do you think, Aunt B?  I can always talk to you about this stuff instead of Mom or Dad, because they’d hit the roof.  Do you think he’s pissed off that I didn’t make out with him, and that’s why he ignored me?”  She fretted.

“No, it’s because you left the house today without wearing a paper bag over your head!”  Brandon taunted.

“Shut up you little runt!”  She shouted back.

“I’d talk to me a lot nicer if I were you.”  He threatened.  “If I mention one word to Mom and Dad what Hiro tried to do with you in the cinema, you won’t be allowed to date him!”

That was it… she stormed out of the kitchen to take him on, leaving me to both set the table AND make dinner.

Next, I heard a loud SLAP!

“Oow!”  Brandon yelped. “That’s it!  I AM going to tell Mom and Dad!”

“You wouldn’t dare, if you don’t want me telling them about your secret stash of porn!”  She threatened. “You dirty little pervert!”

“That stuff isn’t mine!  I’m stashing it for some friends!”  He tried to lie.

Then I heard further scuffling as the two went at it; scratching, hitting and probably pulling the other’s hair, as I had seen them do before.

“I’ll just set the table then, shall I?”  I talked to myself.

I left the lasagna warming in the microwave, as I grabbed the table cloth and cutlery out of the draws.  Then I walked over to the dining table, whilst partially listening to the fight, to ensure they didn’t kill the other. 

“Oow, Brandon! That HURT!”  She squealed.

“You hit me first!” He retorted.

Just as I returned to the kitchen, I heard this strange hissing noise.  Oh no!  Quickly, I darted forward and stopped the microwave.  Damn it!  I overheated the lasagna again, making the pasta turn hard.

I could hear Declan’s words now; “I hate it when you re-heat it in the microwave!  How many times do I have to tell you, to slowly warm lasagna in the oven?  Next time, wait for me to come home.  I’m supposed to be the cook, anyways.”

“Don’t maul the messenger.”  I sighed under my breath.  I used a tea-towel to take the hot dish out of the appliance.  “Or the person who was just trying to do something nice while you’re slaving away at the Garage.”

Suddenly, I heard a deafening SMASH! 

“That was Brandon’s fault!”  She quickly called out.

“But Maia pushed me into it!”  He was quick to refute.

What the hell was that?!  Hastily, I walked into the lounge room where Maia and Brandon were standing awkwardly.  On the floor between them, lay the pieces of my Venetian vase, which I had bought during our European holiday. 

My cherished, hand-blown piece of Venice, I had bought during the first time Declan and I ever went away together; was now in tiny pieces over a five meter radius.  The vase had completely smashed and there were shards scattered everywhere!

“W - w - what the hell happened…?!”  I exhorted in both anger and shock.

“Maia pushed me into it!”  He repeated as he pointed her way.

“Brandon said I was so ugly that he was surprised that Hiro would touch me at all, let alone with a six foot pole!”  She pointed back.

The two were standing there with only their socks on, so I had to deal with the issue of safety first…then I’ll kill them!

“Stay right there and don’t move.” I glared their way.

Fuming, I went to retrieve the ‘wet & dry’ vacuum cleaner from the linen closet.  I returned with the machine and switched it on.  I made the two stand there for a full ten minutes, whilst I vacuumed the whole room.  I had to make sure there weren’t any errant pieces which could find a way into their soft, human feet. 

“Don’t move!” I growled at Brandon, when I saw he was about to take a step. When I finished, I looked at the pair unhappily, “fine, it’s safe now.”

Lastly, I carried the vacuum to the bin out the back of the house, so I could empty it.  As I tipped out the waste compartment, I saw the sharp, sparkling pieces from the hand-crafted artwork, be laid to rest.  Frickin’ hell, I really liked that vase too.

When I carried the vacuum back into the house, I found the two fighting again. This time it was Maia, whom was knocked backwards into Declan’s shelves!  His prized, antique music collection, rocked precariously.

“HEY!” I roared at the two.  They did a double-take when they saw my human blue eyes flash my Werewolf glowing turquoise.  “Knock anything else over and I will pick the both of you up, run you down the hill, and throw you into the river!”

“But Aunt B - ” Brandon started.

“I don’t care who started it, but right now I’m ending it!”  I snarled.

Both brother and sister exchanged wary glances at aggravating their supernatural Aunt.  Next, I spun around and stalked into the kitchen to serve up.  I was going to wait until Declan came home, but I think these two were playing up because they were tired and hungry.  The sooner I feed them, the sooner I can put them to bed.  Here’s hoping…

I served up the lasagna and the salad in the kitchen, before I carried their food-laden plates over to the table.

“OK monsters, go and wash your hands then come and eat.”  I ordered.

Within two minutes, we three were sitting down and starting on our meals.  When I cut into my slice of lasagna, I felt the pasta truly had hardened from being overcooked… double damn!  I could hear Declan’s dissatisfied growl, now.

Maia and Brandon were still throwing hateful looks at one another, but she ended it when she tried to talk to me again.

“Aunt B, you’re a Werewolf so that makes you a strong, old woman…” she began, and I almost choked on my mouthful at how she made me sound like an old hag!  “…so that means you’re wise, right?  What would you do about Hiro?”

I would tell the loser to go jump… particularly into the river in the middle of winter.  I wanted to tell her that she shouldn’t be ignored by her boyfriend, especially after she told him to stop groping her.  I didn’t like the lack of respect he treated her with. 

Just as I opened my mouth to tell her this, I stopped myself.  Once upon a time, Declan used to run hot and cold because he was fighting his feelings for me; in respect of his little brother who also had designs in that area.

So I tried a different tact, “I think that you should open the door to communication.  Talk to Hiro and hear his side before you make a decision.  Ask him why he was ignoring you in school?  Tell him how that made you feel.  If he doesn’t have a good reason then you can tell him to go jump.”

“Yeah and if you do, make sure you do it in front of his friends like Steve and Jason!”  Brandon’s eyes widened, in excitement.

“Who are Steve and Jason?” I turned his way.

“Two of the school’s biggest losers!”  He rolled his eyes. “Just because they’re on the football team and Jason’s parents are away a lot, so he can hold lots of parties; they think they’re so cool!”

“They’re not like that!”  She snapped.

“You’re just saying that because you’re dating Hiro, so you’re invited now.” Brandon sneered.

“Yeah right!  I was invited to their Halloween party last year before Hiro asked me out!”  Maia tried to defend herself.

“You were only asked, because Hiro, Steve and Jason had a bet that they were going to ‘score’ that night with either you, or the other girls that they’d invited.”  He quipped. 

Maia’s face fell and I was starting to really dislike this Hiro, Jason and Steve.  I felt a growl start to crawl up my throat, as my nails grew a little longer.  I looked down and saw this, whilst they were drumming on top of the table.

“Maybe I should have a ‘talk’ with these boys.” I said coldly.

“No Aunt B, don’t!”  She cried out worriedly.

Brandon cracked up laughing at the idea of his Great x4 Grand Aunt who as a Lokoti Werewolf; put the three non-Lokoti boys, in their place.

“Go on Aunt B!  Do it!”  He guffawed. “Take Uncle Declan with you!  If those three losers saw the two of you angry, they’d definitely treat Maia and I, with more respect!” 

“Shut up, Brandon!”  Maia’s face turned bright red.

“I’d love to see their faces, if they heard Uncle Declan growl and saw his eyes glow!”  He went on.

“Stop it!”  She kicked her brother under the table. 

Just then the front door opened and the subject of conversation, came inside.  The kids had been so loud, I didn’t notice the sound of his pick up truck, pull up on the driveway.  His denim work clothes were dirty and he looked tired.

“Who am I supposed to be scaring?”  Declan greeted, showing he had overheard. 

“Maia’s soon-to-be ex-boyfriend and his two loser friends.”  Brandon eagerly filled him in.

I noticed my mate was looking on the fact that we had started without him, in mild offence. 

“Sorry we didn’t wait, but these two are tired and hungry.” I sighed as he walked past into the kitchen, to grab his plate.

“Aw, B!”  He immediately complained. “You heated up the lasagna in the microwave again, didn’t you?”

“Then chuck it out and cook up a whole new lasagna for yourself!”  I flared.

Declan ignored me as he came and sat down at the table with his meal.  However overcooked lasagna or not, he was soon cutting up his food and scoffing it down, hungrily. 

“Thank god that there’s another male in the house!”  Brandon declared. “I’ve been hearing Maia whine all afternoon, about her boyfriend troubles!”

“Is this the kid that I’m meant to scare the crap out of?”  My mate asked in amusement.

“She’s going out with this idiot on the football team, who’s only nice to her when he wants some.”  The 15 year old, summed up.

“Shut up Brandon, or so help me I’ll kill you and then I’ll dump your body in the river!”  She shrieked in embarrassment.

My husband’s eyes narrowed as he looked from Maia to Brandon, before he enquired, “so what does this idiot look like and where does he live?”

The 17 year old girl waved her knife at her brother, “not one word!”

But he ignored her, “Hiro Yakasake has a Japanese appearance.  He’s not that tall but he is strong.  He says his grandfather was a Sumo Wrestler.” 

I think he was enjoying the idea of setting up the jock for the scare of his life.

“Sorry Declan, I’ve already marked this one as my quarry.” I said coolly.

“No Aunt B, let Uncle Declan have him!”  The boy whined. “He’s bigger than you.”

I looked on unimpressed, “our nephew thinks you’re more dangerous than I am.”

“I am more dangerous than you.”  My mate said matter-of-factly.

“Oh, so the fact that I’m also a Circulator, is no never mind?  Or my Gran who was another Circulator, was the one who took down the European Werewolf who changed you?”  I asked sarcastically.

He pretended to think; “nope!  I’m still more dangerous than you.”

Brandon began to laugh again, as he liked it when his Werewolf Aunt and Uncle argued about their supernatural differences. 

“You are not!” I rebuked. “Trust me, I think this Hiro is going to be a darn sight more worried about what I can do with my sword!”

“But I think Uncle as a European Werewolf looks a lot more scarier, Aunt.”  The teenaged boy disagreed.

“Nobody is going to harm my boyfriend!”  The love-sick girl said adamantly.

“Maia sweetie…” my mate looked on his great x4 grand niece, “I’m not going to harm him, well not right away.  I’m going to have a talk with him, man to man.”

“Will claws be used in this ‘talk’?”  The boy asked hopeful.

In a huff, she stood up and carried her half-eaten plate into the kitchen.  We heard her drop it into the sink before she stormed past and upstairs to her room.  Next, we heard a loud BANG! when Maia slammed her bedroom door behind.

Unperturbed, my mate carried on; “so what kind of car does this idiot drive?”

“A red Jeep Cherokee.”  He answered.

My fingers drumming on top of the table turned louder, as I could tell he was planning something.

“Declan, didn’t you hear me when I said that I would handle this?”  I asked in annoyance.

“Yeah I heard you,” he said coolly before he turned back at Brandon, “so again I ask, where does this kid live?”

“Brandon, not one word.”  I ordered.

The boy looked torn as he glanced from his Aunt to his Uncle, as he was worried about angering one of us.

“B, this is a guy thing.”  My husband said simply.

“No it’s not.”

“Yes it is.”

“No it’s not!  Maia came to me first, which makes it a girl thing!”

“Trust me B, a teenaged male all juiced up on testosterone, is NOT going to be afraid of a verbal warning by a hot woman that smells as good as you.  This one’s for me.”

“He will be when I deliver the warning as a territorial Werewolf, looking after her young!”

“He’s NOT going to see you in your supernatural form!”  Declan barked back.  “No humans in Alma can know that my wife is a Werewolf!  It’s going to stay that way and that’s that!”

I crossed my arms as I sat back and glared at him.  “What is this?  You think just because we’re married, you can boss me about?”

“No, it’s an order from your Second in the pack.”  He seethed.

Screw this, I thought as I too lost my appetite. 

The sexist males were left sitting alone at the table, when I too stood up and carried my unfinished plate into the kitchen. 

*****

The next morning, Declan’s digital alarm clock woke us up at 7 AM.  Normally, we would rise at 7.30 however with the kids staying, we’d set it earlier to get them off to school on time.  The mornings we slept in, were either on a weekend or after a hunt during a full moon.

My mate beat me downstairs as usual and when I eventually came down, I found him in the kitchen.  He was not only making himself a packed lunch, but Maia and Brandon as well.  I brushed past, to turn on the kettle and make my morning coffee, whilst watching him in the corner of my eye.

He was smearing some slices of wholegrain bread with pesto, before layering some cold meat and salad in between.

“You want a sandwich too?”  He offered.  “I can put it in the fridge and you can take it out at lunch time.”

“No thanks.”  I answered.  “I’m going to Circulate HQ today, so I’ll use one of the meal synthesizers in the Mess Hall.”

He passed me a long look, before he completed the lunches. 

“What are you going to do there?”  He wondered aloud.

“Research for my next trip back in time.”  I replied.

I tipped the milk and then the artificial sweetener, into my beverage.  Then I picked up the hot mug and held it in both hands to enjoy the warmth, before taking a sip.  Mmm… nothing beats your first cup of coffee for the day.

Declan turned quiet for a moment as he wrapped up the sandwiches and then put them into three paper bags, along with a banana each.

Eventually he asked, “whereabouts is Taurus Six anyways?”

“On the far side of the Milky Way Galaxy.”  I educated.  “It’s inside of an unstable, gaseous, green coloured nebula.”

“An unstable nebula?”  He echoed unhappily.  “That doesn’t sound very safe.”

“It’s only unsafe for space ships who try to enter.”  I shrugged it off.  “But Taurus Six is a Terran-Class planet, with vegetation and a breathable atmosphere.  Since I instantaneously phase to the surface, I don’t have to go through the nebula, do I?”

“B,” my mate began, as he put the ingredients back into the fridge; “maybe you should wait until I come home from work?  You haven’t taken me to this second headquarters yet and I should see it for myself, if it’s safe or not.”

“Declan,” I put down my coffee to object, “what’s with the, ‘I’m the boss’ attitude lately?  I’ve been to the back-up headquarters PLENTY of times, and you’ve never complained.  Besides, I don’t think the Circulate’s best minds would be stupid enough to set up a base camp, inside a keg of dynamite.”

He opened his mouth to argue further, when we were interrupted by another arguing pair in the shapes of brother and sister.

“You’re such a bathroom hog!  I almost peed myself, waiting for you to finish up so I could use it!”  The boy grouched.

The immaculately groomed 17 year old, retorted; “when don’t you pee yourself, Brandon?”

“Ha ha!”  He sung sarcastically.  “Just admit it Maia, you take so long in the bathroom to try and make yourself look pretty, because you really are a hog.”

“Alright you two, knock it off.”  Their Uncle growled.  “Here are your lunches and I’ll give you both a ride to school today.”

“No!”  Maia looked horrified at the idea of being seen with a parental figure.  “I want to catch the bus.”

“I don’t mind a lift.”  Her brother said amiably.

“That’s because you have no social status in school, so you don’t care who you’re seen with!”  She snapped.  “I’ll catch the bus with Lucy and Nina.”

With that, she snatched up her lunch and her school bag, before flouncing out the front door.

Their Uncle rolled his eyes at his niece’s behavior and then he turned to plant a kiss on their Aunt’s cheek.

“I’m gonna be home late again.”  He said as his farewell.  “But text message me when you’re back from Taurus Six.”

“Yes sir.”  I mockingly gave a salute.  But before the males could disappear, I sung out knowingly; “you driving Brandon to school today, wouldn’t be related in anyway to you trying to see what this Hiro looks like, would it?”

Both Brandon and Declan stopped in the front doorway to look back.  Whereas the boy looked surprised, the older man was trying not to smirk.  Lastly, he threw me a wink and then he shut the door behind.

*****

As soon as my teeth and hair were brushed, I locked up the house whilst I was still inside.  Then in a bright flash of light, I disappeared from our living room in Alaska, to reappear in another bright brilliance, inside of the Viewing Room on Taurus Six.  The electromagnetic interference by this mode of travel, caused the screens to momentarily show static, before returning to normal.

“Welcome to Circulate Headquarters, Bianca.”  The female voice of the Circulate Mainframe, greeted. 

“Hey CM,” I said back, as I took one of the three seats in the room, “how are you today?”

“All systems are operating within normal parameters.”  She reported.  “How may I assist you today?”

Instead of typing my instructions into the crystallized control panel in front, I sat back into the chair and gave voice commands instead. 

“I’d like to see how the conference is going, as well as do some research for my next circulation through time.”

The computer responded, “would you like me to show you day four of the congregation?”

“Yes please.”

The huge, upside down, three-sided, crystal pyramid which was slowly turning around in the centre of the room; instantly changed it’s images.  In one side, it had shown a scene of Ancient Egypt in 2,000 BC, in the second triangle it had the Roman Forum in 200 AD and the last scene, it had showed my house in Alaska from the date I had just left, 2227 AD.  All of these were now replaced by the view of the United Nations Headquarters, in New York City.

I was looking at an amphitheatre, which had a crowded seating area around a podium where somebody was speaking.  The delegates whom were sitting down, were listening with their assistants taking notes on iPad’s or laptops.  I spotted Julius and Therese Sabre, sitting behind three Lokoti Tribal Elders, whom were paying attention to the speaker.  Therese was typing away in her laptop, as Julius leaned in to show one of our Elder’s some information, on his iPad.  The Elder took the iPad from him and then passed it to the woman in the expensive suit, who must have been one of Hodge Endeavour’s legal team.

“Would you like me to activate the sound so you can hear what the speaker is saying?”  The computer offered.

“Please.”

Instantly, the Viewing Room was filled by a male voice, speaking in an authoritative manner.

“…as you can see, the plutonium-eating microbes, are combating the radiation spill in the National Park.”  The speaker pointed at the large screen behind him, which showed scenes of Kakadu, in Australia.  “We are developing more microbes, to apply to the other damaged areas to ensure the contamination doesn’t spread.”

It was here the Hodge Endeavour lawyer, passed on the iPad to an Australian Aboriginal Tribal Elder who next put up their hand.

“But how long is it going to take the microbes to eat all of the radiation?”  The dark-skinned woman, interrupted.  “According to this data, the Hodge Endeavour Environmental Department say it’s going to be at least 24 months!  The flora and fauna are already dying by your mining disaster.  Kakadu doesn’t have 24 months!”

“Hutchins Earth & Minerals, are doing all they can to minimize the damage.”  The suited speaker said guiltily.

“No, Hutchins Earth & Minerals are doing all they can to try not to be sued!”  The woman rebuked.  “But you’re too late.  The Hodge Endeavour Legal Department says not only can we sue, but we can prevent you doing any further damage by breaking your contract.”

This made the speaker go on the defensive, “but our contract is with the Australian Government, not with the Gagudju People.”

“That means we can sue you both!”  The woman fired back.  “And when the Government sees the size of the damages we can claim, do you really think that they’ll continue to ally themselves with you?”

I could see the speaker, whom must have been a lawyer for the corporation in the wrong; was rallying to the debate.  He too was holding an iPad, which controlled the images on the large screen behind the podium.  He changed the image of Kakudu, to show his corporation’s contract.  But before I could hear the company’s excuses, I cut him off.

“Computer, cease audio.”

The Circulate Mainframe instantly returned silence to the Viewing Room, so I was simply looking on the conference instead of listening to it.

“What can Hodge Endeavour do, to help the contamination of Kakudu National Park?”  I ordered.

The Mainframe went quiet for a few seconds, as it computed.  Then it offered, “Hodge Endeavour has a medical lab close by, outside of Jakarta in Indonesia.  The pharmaceutical facility could be converted to a bio-chemical lab to produce more plutonium-eating microbes.”

“Do it.”  I stood up from the chair and began to pace around the glass-top, circular desk, on which the three crystallized control panels were placed.  “Don’t charge the Gagudju People for this service, but charge the Australian Government.  They’re partially to blame for what’s happened, so let them pick up the tab.”

“Acknowledged.”  The computer chirped.  “The cost would be 3.3 billion credits.”

“Say what?”  I paused in surprise.  “Can the Australian Government afford it?”

“The Australian Government would not be able to pay the 3.3 billion credits for the microbes, as well as the 6.7 billion credits in damages that the lawsuit will ensue; without raising taxes.”

“Then contact the Hodge Endeavour Legal Department as well as the Gagudju People.  Wrangle a deal that nobody sues anybody, if the Australian Government will pay for the microbes, to get this disaster fixed faster.”  I thought on my feet.

“Acknowledged,” the computer complied and I noticed the crystallized control panels glow, as it acted on my commands.

My Calculator Vincent, once explained to me that the Circulate Mainframe, could send messages to me as well as Hodge Endeavour; on beams of light traveling through space and time. 

The light beams were of a high frequency on the light spectrum that the eye couldn’t see, and were partially related to the way a Circulator could phase through time.  When I go into phase, my body turned itself into light to pass through the time, the same way light passes through glass.  The same frequency of light which could escape Black Holes or others which could pass through solid matter, was similar to a Circulator’s light frequency. 

Although the Circulate Mainframe could send emails and text messages through time to either myself or other Circulators, Calculators or even Hodge Endeavour; we couldn’t reply the same way.  The technology for that hadn’t been invented yet, which was why the Mainframe operated smoothly and efficiently with its futuristic, 25th Century systems.  The smart computer which acted as Calculator to the last Circulator in human history, consistently watched over my well-being via the Viewing Room; as its sentient programming could also retain itself with self-diagnostics. 

I liked the Mainframe, we had always gotten along well.  It’s core directives were to keep its charge safe from harm, and to make sure I didn’t irreparably damage humanity’s timeline.  I liked the idea of the computer acting as my Calculator, because in my opinion; it seemed to be doing exactly what Vincent had done anyways.  He was a Calculator and although he could see through time like Viewing Room technology can too; he couldn’t phase through time like a Circulator could.  Whereas the human Calculator saw through time via visions, the computerized Calculator saw through time by specialized beams of light.

“Bianca,” my computer – slash – Calculator, spoke again; “you should know that Hutchins Earth & Mining has also petitioned the Alaskan Government to drill in the Arctic Ocean.” 

This stopped me in my tracks, “no way in hell!”

“I would recommend that we send instructions to Hodge Endeavour’s Legal Department to obstruct the petition.”  The Mainframe plotted.  “The Elders of several Native Alaskan Tribes including Lokoti, would support this decision.”

“Right.”  I stood still as I thought aloud.  “Send this information to Julius and Therese Sabre’s email account.  Let’s give the Lokoti and the other Native Alaskan Tribal Elders, a heads-up with this information.  Maybe while they’re combating Hutchins Earth & Mining over this debacle, it will put off the corporation from making another.”

“Agreed.”  The computer chirped once more.

Then I saw the effects of the computer’s work, when the images showed the Sabre’s faces as they received our message.  Julius passed another iPad to the Elder to show them, which the Elder read before passing it to the Hodge Endeavour Lawyer.  Now the Caucasian woman in the expensive suit stood up, to interrupt the Hutchins Earth & Mining speaker, in his haute couture clothing. 

I didn’t have to hear what she said, when I and the rest of the conference saw the man turn pale.

*****

I was feeling pretty proud of our little feat, when I phased home at the end of the day.

Once I had reformed into my solid shape, I went over to the bookshelves to retrieve my laptop.  I plugged the crystallized computer chip, into the USB port and switched the technology on.  As I downloaded the historical information onto my hard drive that the Circulate Mainframe had retrieved for me, I sat down at the dining table to start on my academic work.

I returned to my paper on, ‘Female Deities in Ancient Mythology: Early Expectations On Women’; and incorporated the images I had saved from the Viewing Room.  The Circulate Mainframe had helped me search for pictures of one of the sub-themes; the roles of wives in the ruling houses of the ancient cultures.  As my formal paper was on the computer, I used a pen and paper to jot down some personal notes.  I was thinking of circulating through time, to visit an Ancient Egyptian wedding during the Middle Kingdom. 

Whereas a normal person may make a ‘what to pack’ list for an upcoming holiday; I wrote down my ideas of what to wear, how to have my hair, and how I could smuggle my digital camera back in time.  With the heat of Egypt, even the upper classes could dress as scantily as the lower classes did, where it wasn’t just the men walking around topless but sometimes the women as well.  I knew my husband would hit the roof, if my breasts were bared.  I decided to wear a large, flat, gold necklace, which could cover that area of my body and it would look appropriate amongst the rich.

Suddenly, I was interrupted by a very loud, BAM!

Startled, I turned to see a furious Maia standing in the front doorway.  She had flung open the door so hard, it banged against the wall. She stood there seething, wearing a mask of indignation whilst her hands rested on her hips.

“Hiro broke up with me today!”  She proclaimed.  “And when he did it, he kept apologizing for what happened in the cinema!  He was so nervous, he wouldn’t look me in the eye!  What the hell did Uncle Declan do to him?!”

“Say what?”  I shook my head in confusion.  “Why do you think your Uncle has something to do with it?”

“I hate him!”  The 17 year old cried out overdramatically.  “It’s all his fault!”

With that, she stormed through the living room and upstairs to the guest bedroom where I heard another loud BANG!

Frickin’ hell, I’m not going to get any work done with this melodrama going on.  Wearily, I rose from the table and followed after my grand niece.  Tentatively, I knocked on the bedroom door she had slammed shut, before making my way inside.

“OK,” I took a deep breath, “let’s start from the beginning.  Tell me exactly what happened today.”

Maia was lying face-down on top of one of the single beds, sobbing her heart out.

“C’mon sweetie, tell me all your problems.”  I sat down beside to rub her back sympathetically.  “You never know, I might be able to help somehow.”

“My social status in school is over!”  She sniffed.  “No boy will ever date me again!”

“I’m sure that’s not true.”  I pulled her upright so I could see her face.  “You’re a very pretty girl and just because one horny toad treated you disrespectfully -”

“You’re just as bad as HIM!”  Maia pushed my hands away.

“I’m as bad as who?”

“The interfering Uncle Declan!”  She re-collapsed into her pillow.

“Then tell me what you think he did, to make Hiro break up with you!” I cried out, exasperated.

She wiped her cheeks as she sat up to face me.  “I don’t know exactly, but all I know is when I got off the school bus; I saw Uncle Declan was in the student car park from dropping off Brandon.  He was walking back to his truck, away from Hiro who was standing by his jeep.  When I started to walk towards him to say ‘hi’, Hiro went white as a sheet and ran off in the opposite direction!  Then at recess, he dumped me!”

Just then I snorted, which made her look on betrayed.  I tried not to laugh, but it didn’t work.  I couldn’t stop myself from roaring with laughter!

“This ISN’T funny!”  The girl stood up in indignation.  “I’m never going to be invited to the cool parties, ever again!”

“Sweetheart, from what I hear what girls have to do, to be invited to these so-called, ‘parties’?  Maybe that’s a good thing.”  I tried to point out.

“You don’t understand!”  She wailed.  “The snobby girls were just starting to talk to me.  All the boys noticed me.  Now I’m down at the bottom of the food chain and no boy will ever ask me out again!”

With that, she swept from the room to go and sulk in another part of the house.

*****

That evening, my husband came home from work earlier than expected.  However the sound which came from his truck, were two doors shutting instead of one.  When the front door opened, in human form a European Werewolf and then a Lokoti Werewolf, crossed the threshold.

“Hi honey, I’m home!”  Declan’s voice rang out.

I came out from the kitchen, where I had been contemplating on what to make for dinner.

“Forrest?”  I looked on in surprise, at our unexpected guest.  “What are you doing here?”

“Hi Aunt B,” my Riverclaw relation gave a wave, “Uncle Dec asked me to come to dinner.”

“Yeah, I wanted to say thanks for his help at the Garage today.”  My mate said appreciatively.  “Bruce called in sick and I still had three vehicles to fix.”

“You worked at the Garage today?”  I looked on the younger Werewolf.

“Um, yeah I helped out Uncle Dec, Gracie and Norm, with the repairs.”  Forrest’s face flushed with modesty.

From what I understood, since completing High School the Lokoti Werewolf paid his way by doing odd-jobs around the tribe.  One day, he was cleaning gutters, another fixing a roof and then the next, repairing somebody’s plumbing. So it didn’t surprise me he also knew his way around a plasma-powered engine. 

“So, what’s for dinner?”  I looked on my mate expectantly, as I didn’t feel like cooking.

“I think we’ve still got some mince and pasta sheets left over, so I was thinking caneloni.”  He breezed past, through the kitchen entryway.

I stood back and watched my husband wash his hands first, before picking out the ingredients from either the fridge or pantry.

Forrest stood politely yet awkwardly, by the dining table.

“Oh I’m sorry, would you like a glass of water, or juice or root beer?”  I offered.

“The root beers sounds good.”  He gave a nod.

“Yeah, me too.”  Declan included himself.

I took three glasses out of the cupboard to serve the beverages.  As soon as they were poured, Forrest took a glass and my mate helped himself to another.  The males gulped them down, whilst I returned the bottle of soda to the fridge.  By the time I picked up my glass, the males were putting their empty ones down.

“So, what did the Circulate computer say today?”  My husband enquired as he began to cook.

“Oh, nothing much…” I drawled as I nursed my drink, “…the timeline is behaving itself, and I’m planning my next circulation in time to a wedding during the Middle Kingdom of Egypt.  Oh yeah, it’s also helping me sue the multinational corporation, Hutchins Earth & Mining for causing a disaster in Kakadu National Park.” 

“Where’s that?”  Forrest asked interestedly.

“The Northern Territory, in Australia.”  I informed.

“Oh yeah, you have some distant relations in Australia, don’t you Aunt B?”  He remembered.

“So do you.”  Declan chuckled.  “Except in your case, they’re very distant now.”

“Yeah…” he nodded along, “…we’re something like ten times removed now, aren’t we?”

“Probably.”  My mate shrugged, as he began to roll up mince within the pasta sheets.  “B hardly talks to the Baker family now, as they barely remember us.”

At that moment, we were interrupted by Brandon coming home.  He was puffing as if he had run, whilst carrying his schoolbag on his back and a soccer ball under one arm.  He often played sport in the community centre on tribal lands, after school.

“Forrest!”  The 15 year old boy’s eyes lit up.

“Hiya Bradon, how are ya?”  The 20 year old man greeted amiably.

Then the teenager dropped what he was carrying, and rammed the much bigger and stronger, Lokoti Werewolf!  The younger and older males engaged in a play fight, with the older easily fending off the younger one.  It got to the stage where Forrest was fighting Brandon with just one arm, which made Declan and I laugh.

The members of the pack were treated a little like celebrities, by the human members of the tribe.  People could still stare at Declan and I, when we left our house on top of the hill and shopped in the general store, or ran errands about the tribal lands.  Where the townspeople in Alma lived in ignorance of what went on; the Lokoti bonded over the supernatural secret.

“Stop cheating!”  Brandon taunted his stronger opponent.

“You wish!”  Forrest guffawed.

Then to the Aunt and Uncle’s amusement, we watched the young man easily pick up the boy, sling him over his shoulder and begin to spin him around! 

“I’m gonna be sick!  I’m gonna be sick!”  The teenager threatened.  “I’m gonna throw up, all down your back!”

“If you do, I’ll hunt you instead of moose on the next full moon!”  The Werewolf returned.

However the fun and mayhem were interrupted by the unhappy voice coming from the top of the stairs; “what’s all this racket?  I can’t concentrate on my trigonometry homework!”

Immediately, the young man halted as I watched him raise his head.  Then he completely froze and by doing so, he accidentally dropped his load!  Brandon landed head first on the floor with an audible, “oomph!”

“Oow, that’s gotta hurt.”  Declan flinched in sympathy.

“Are you OK?” I put aside my drink to help him up.

“Forrest!”  The teenaged male whacked the older one on the arm, but it was barely acknowledged.

We watched the young man slowly move towards the staircase as his eyes never left what they beheld.

“Hi Maia, how are you?”  He asked in a tight voice.

The 17 year old gave the 20 year old a funny look at first, and then we saw her face turn pink.

“Um, I’m OK thanks Forrest.  How are you?”  She managed back, shyly.

I whispered to my mate, who was standing nearby; “oh now it’s OK, when earlier this afternoon, her world had ended.” 

Declan emitted a snicker, as he proceeded to place the rolled up, raw caneloni into a baking tray.

“I’ve been invited to dinner.”  The Lokoti Werewolf told her.  “Will we have the pleasure of your company tonight?”

The Lokoti girl almost giggled back, “I was going to meet up with Lucy and Nina tonight, but I suppose I could stick around.”

“Really?”  Forrest’s eyes lit up.  “So you didn’t have a date with that Japanese boy, I occasionally see you with?”

“Who, Hiro?” She scoffed.  “Hell no, he’s long gone!” 

“So the ‘talk’ worked then?”  Brandon asked his Uncle, in amusement.

He nudged his nephew to shut up, especially when his wife shot a wary look his way.

“Here, make yourself useful.”  Declan shoved the table cloth into the teenager’s arms.

I stood back to let the boy set the table for dinner, whilst subtly watching his sister talk to her next romantic suitor.

Just then I felt a kick to the leg as my husband hissed, “would you quit staring?”

Reluctantly, I moved from the entryway to sit up on the kitchen bench.  Our cook had placed the tray of caneloni into the oven and was now slicing up the ingredients for a salad.  Whenever Brandon was out of earshot by putting the next items onto the table, I interrogated my husband.

“So, how was Brandon’s ride to school this morning?”  I began.

“As much as you’d expect; we hopped in the truck, I turned on the ignition and the truck moved.”  He gave his glib reply.

“Did you get out of the said truck, at any stage?”

“Nope, I sat in it all day and from behind the wheel, I instructed my mechanics on what to do.”

Now it was my turn to kick him, to turn off the sarcasm.  He chuckled once more as he sliced the capsicum, before scattering it over the lettuce. 

“So you didn’t walk away from a red Jeep Cherokee, back to your truck which was in the student car park?”  I continued.

“I may have walked away from a particular red Jeep Cherokee.”

“And away from a certain Japanese-background student?”

“There may have been a student of that description, standing beside the said Jeep.”

“Well, what did you say to him?”

“I asked him if he’s ever seen the 20th Century movie called ‘Uncle Buck’.”

“You asked him if he’s seen a movie which was made 200 years ago?”

He recanted, “when he said no, I told him it had one of my favourite actors in it, called John Candy.  When he didn’t have a clue of what I was talking about, I started to tell him about the story, of an Uncle looking after his nephews and nieces, while the parents are away.  I told him that there was this particularly funny part, where the Uncle scares off the sleazy and therefore, undesirable boyfriend.  I started to laugh about the scene where the Uncle opens up the boot and the said boyfriend is inside, after being kidnapped from a party where under-aged drinking and sexual activities were taking place.” 

It was here our nephew interjected, “and then the meat-head for a jock, finally got a clue.  And can you believe it, he tried to scare off Uncle Declan by saying he knows Sumo Wrestling!”

“Thanks Brandon, but you can go and put out the bread and butter plates.”  His Uncle ordered him away.  As soon as he had walked off with the crockery, my husband continued.  “So I happened to have been touching the said, red Jeep Cherokee when the vehicle starts to lean on a peculiar angle.”

My mouth fell open in horror, “you didn’t lift up the truck to show off your supernatural strength, which finally frightened off the kid?”

“You could say that the right side of the said Jeep, wasn’t exactly touching the ground at that stage.”

“Declan!”  My hand whipped out to deliver a slap to his arm.  “You’re always lecturing me about not giving myself away and then you go and do THIS?!”

“B, my eyes weren’t glowing and I kept my teeth and claws to myself.”  He promised as he scattered sliced cucumber around the salad bowl next.

“He did, Aunt B.”  The 15 year old stuck up for his 164 year old Uncle.  “There’s no way that Hiro would know Uncle Dec’s a Werewolf.  The jock is so stupid, I don’t think he’d even know what a Werewolf was!”

“You; upstairs and doing homework; now!”  I shooed him away.

“Aw, can’t I do it after dinner?”  The boy whined.  “I haven’t got much to do anyway.”

“Alright then Brandon, you can help me instead.”  My husband relented.  “I’m gonna teach you how to make home-made garlic bread.”

Next, my mobile phone beeped to alert me to a message.  I took it out of my pocket to see it was from the Circulate Mainframe.  It was sending me a status report of converting the pharmaceutical company, into a bio-chemical lab.  It advised that the Indonesian staff had already begun preparations to produce the plutonium-eating microbes, as well as ways of transporting it the short distance to the Northern Territory.

“Who’s that?” Declan leaned in to see the screen.

“The Circulate Mainframe.”  I announced.  “Preparations are underway and we could have the plutonium-eating microbes, being shipped to Kakadu by the end of next week.”

“Oh is this about that mining accident in the National Park?”  Brandon looked impressed.  “Mom mentioned something about that on the phone last night.  In school, we’re doing a debate on it, for Legal Studies.”

“That’s my B.” My mate said proudly, as he slathered the French rolls with garlic butter.  “Your Uncle slaves away in the Garage or kitchen, whilst your Aunt secretly controls world affairs.”

This made the teenager pass a pleading look my way.  “Hey Aunt B, could you help me with my homework tonight?  I’m supposed to be on the ‘against team’ to sue Hutchins Earth & Mining.”

I almost laughed at the boy’s about turn, from hero-worshipping the male Werewolves to now seeing his Circulator for an Aunt, in a new light.

“Yeah, I suppose I could.”  I smiled back. “But I’m not going to write it for you, and you’ll still have to do the research yourself.  I’m just going to point you in the right direction.” 

“Really?”  He looked grateful at this.  “Thanks Aunt B, you’re the best!”

Then he took off out of the kitchen and ran past Maia and Forrest who were talking amongst themselves, to get his textbooks.

*****

During dinner, the 20 year old’s attentiveness towards the 17 year old, ran at record levels.  She didn’t have to reach for the salad bowl or slices of garlic bread, all she had to do was look at something and he would immediately pass it to her.  When Brandon looked like he was about to take the last piece of bread, Forrest snatched it up and put it on her plate instead.

“I asked Maia if she would like to go on a picnic with me this weekend,” the Lokoti Werewolf spoke politely to the European Werewolf, “with your permission of course, Uncle.”

“I don’t mind.”  My mate shrugged.  “I know where you live.”

“Uncle Dec, stop it!”  Her face reddened in embarrassment.

“Ignore him, Forrest.”  I shook my head.  “Maia and Brandon’s parents will be home from the conference, so they’ll be back under their ‘jurisdiction’.” 

“But still, Uncle Dec is her elder and he’s my Second in the pack.”  His eyes dropped respectfully. “It’s protocol that I ask him too.”

“Don’t encourage him!”  I moaned as I stood up from the table.  “His ego is big enough as it is.”

“That’s my wife for you,” he sung sarcastically, “can’t you feel the love, honour and obey vibe, just radiating out of her?”

Forrest chuckled quietly, as I rolled my eyes at Declan’s behaviour.

“OK Maia, since your brother set the table, it’s your turn to clear it tonight.” I ordered.

“I’ll help clean up.”  Her suitor was quick to jump to his feet as he began to collect everyone’s plates.

“Forrest,” my mate said dryly, “I’ve paid you and now I’ve fed you, for your work at the Garage today.  Go home.  The kids have homework to do.”

Obediently, the young man gave a smile to his amore, a respectful nod to his Aunt and his Second, and lastly a wave to the boy.  “G’night all.”

“See ya tomorrow.”  My mate watched him leave before he turned to his niece.  “Weren’t you in the middle of trigonometry or something, before you turned all goo-goo eyed?” 

“Uncle!”  She blushed again and with a crimson face, she cleared the table.

*****

My husband was tired from repairing vehicles all day and I was tired from instantaneously phasing all over the place.  So we were quite happy to lie on the couch with our feet up, and watch a new horror movie on the Internet TV.  The blood and guts of the story, hardly batted an eyelid from the Werewolf couple and I even caught his eyes begin to droop. 

However what kept us up was not the fighting on screen, but the kind which was going on upstairs. 

“Brandon, turn that music off!”  His sister yelled. 

“No.”

“You know I hate that song!”

“Yeah, I know.”  He chuckled as he turned the music up.

When he did, we could hear it as clear as a bell downstairs.  We heard the ‘Nine Inch Nails’ song called ‘Closer,’ blast out.  With the particularly graphic lyrics, I must admit that it wasn’t my favourite song either.  He had played it loudly yesterday too, to annoy her when my mate had been at work.

“Not this song again.”  I moaned.

Declan hit the ‘pause’ button on the remote to yell at Brandon to turn it down, when his eyes widened in alarm at the words in the chorus.

“What the hell…?!”  He sat upright in shock.

I had to remain seated or be bowled over, when my mate jumped to his feet and stormed upstairs.  I listened to what took place in the guest bedroom, when the music abruptly ended.  I imagined Declan had ripped the speaker chord out of the boy’s iPod.

“Uncle Declan…” the teenager objected, “…if it’s too loud I CAN turn it down!”

“Brandon, if you ever play this song again I will break your frickin’ iPod!  Do you understand me?”  He snarled.

Maia cracked up laughing and I heard her applaud him. 

“What’s wrong with it?”  The boy whined.

“What’s frickin’ right with it more like; and there’s nothin’ right!”  His elder snapped.

“But it’s just a song…” The boy back-pedaled. 

“Tomorrow, you and I are going to go for a walk and have a long conversation about what’s wrong with that song.”  His Uncle declared.

“Ha ha, sucked in!”  Maia laughed at her little brother, for getting on their Uncle’s bad side.

I had to admit, I found it impressive that Declan did that.  I admired his attack-dog-like determination, to do what he thought was right.  Either scaring off sleazy males, or teaching others to respect women; he would charge through a brick wall if he thought it had wronged a female family member.

Lastly, I heard his heavy footfall as he returned and I tried to hide my grin.  As he fell back onto the couch, he replaced his arm about his wife and used his other to pick up the remote and resume the program.  I ended up resting my right hand over my mouth, to try to hide the smile that kept escaping.

After a moment, he noticed what I was doing.  He paused the program once more to ask in annoyance, “what are you laughing about?”

“I’m not laughing.”  I smilingly shook my head.

“Then what are you grinning about?”

“You.”

“Me?”

“Yes, you.”

“What about me?”

“Declan Domitian Sabre, patron saint to women.  You’re the defender of teenaged girls and the hero against sexually explicit songs which are derogatory towards women.”  I pronounced.

“Saint, did you just call me a saint?”  He looked incredulous.  “I’m anything BUT a saint B, you should know that.  I have the bloodlust burning me up inside and out and I know a little too well, what it’s like to constantly fight for self-control. Human males don’t have the bloodlust and it pisses me off when I hear the words, ‘I couldn’t control myself’.  They CAN control themselves but they still try to shirk the blame.”

“I know, Declan.”  I sighed, as I started at the TV screen.  “I feel you battle your dangerous desires, everyday.”

“You do?” He asked in surprise.  “You know B, we’ve never really talked about this.”

“Talked about what?”

“Male Lokoti Werewolves are empathically attuned to their female mates.  Since you’re a Lokoti Werewolf, I wonder if you feel my emotions?”

“Sometimes.”  I admitted.

“Heh heh!  I have my very own female Lokoti Werewolf, who can wane when she’s away from me.”  He chortled. 

Grouchily, I took the remote out of his hand to hit the ‘play’ button. 

“Hey!”  He snatched it back.  “Nobody has the remote control but me!”

“Hog.”

“Yeah but you like it when I take control, admit it.”  He chuckled again.

“You wish!”

He laughingly placed a sloppy kiss on my cheek, before holding me closer as we resumed our movie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
© Copyright 2010 onaya3 (onaya3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1719518-Sororate-Chapter-3-Updated