*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720505-Depharis-Games
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1720505
Sort of like the Hunger Games, but this is for religious purposes.
The feast day for the god of luck, Dephari, was coming up. The games that would follow left people wondering what new happenings would come up. For now, the people sat in the Grand Hall, eyes glued to the television that would announce the sacrifices.
The leader of the country was standing nobly at his podium, but even a fool could see that he was nervous. The presiden't eyes fluttered, and he had to straighten his back several times over just to keep the shivers away. Bowing his head, he began to speak.
"Citizens of the Wind, the Water, the Ashes and the Trees- it is once again time to pick the sacrifices to play in Dephari's Games. To honor this god, we will chose four children from each village to compete, as it has been done so many times before."
The people shuddered. Dephari's Games was an ancient tradition amongst them. Most of them had never lived when the Games did not exsist. The children of the Tree village were playing outside, unable to see what would happen.
"This year, we will chose the guardians. Following this event will be the drawing of this years' rules for the games."
The adults sitting in the Grand Hall waited patiently for the president of the Four Kingdoms to continue with the calling. When he finally did reappear on the giant screen, he was flustered. A man shook his head. A woman sniffed with worry.
"The callings will be taken from numbers on lottery balls. The names of the Guardians for this years games will be sent to each village. All Guardians will report to the main gates to the capital. Those who have been chosen will stand in front of a gate marked with their number."
To the side of the podium was a set of four giant wheels, filled with colorful numbered lottery balls. It seemed to a couple that maybe the GamePlotters were attempting to make the drawing more fun. A couple shook their heads in disgrace. Sending children to their deaths was gruesome all together, but trying to make it look better in appearence?
"Wind. 48. 76. 22. The Guardian this year will be 3. Ash..." The man was reading out the numbers with a trembling voice. He knew just as well as anyone that Dephari's anger was much worse than any of the other gods like Hjalei and Bhaghara.
© Copyright 2010 Caligri (caligri at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720505-Depharis-Games