*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720512-Dreamland-Chapter-5
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #1720512
Joven pursues the dreams of others and finds herself caught up in a nightmarish reality
Cheoah Point’s parking lot was full by the time the threesome pulled in. The rules of the parking lot didn’t apply in a time of emergency and Devlin drove slowly looking for a spot large enough for the truck and trailer. Finding a spot towards the back he slowly moved the vehicle into the area. All three slid out leaving the horses behind and joined the ever growing number of searchers.

Edoha was standing in front of the large group patting the air to try and quite the horde. His long black hair was tied back in a ponytail, revealing his forty-three year old face. Sharp cheekbones rested beside a straight nose draped over full lips. His large brown eyes matched his skin tone giving his face a warm but intense appearance. A slender five foot seven frame hid a solid muscular body. “People, I’m glad so many answered the call, but we need to get moving. We only have about six hours of daylight left and a lot of ground to cover. Please sign in at the desk in the visitors center and get your search area. Once you have signed in, start your search. Thank you.”

“I’ll get us signed in while you unload the horses.” Devlin stated to Mace.

“Sounds good, we will meet you at the truck.” he started the walk back to the truck with Joven on his heals.

“Does this happen a lot, people going missing?”

“This is a big tourist spot, so we get a few every year. Most of the time they decide to go off the trail and get turned around. Sometimes its due to an accident like a fall or whatever. I’ve been helping with the searches for the last three years and I think this is my eighth search. Only one person was found dead, and his was a suicide.” Mace opened the back of the trailer, “guess he didn’t want any one to know what he was up to.”

“that’s really sad. I’ve been in some dark places, but never considered doing something like that.” Joven’s voice held deep sadness.

He stopped what he was doing and stared at her. Her face was a blank expression as she stared back at him. Unsure what to say, he stayed on topic. “I’ll back a horse out and you hold on to him while I get the next one. be carefully not to hold them to close to any of the other horses.”

“Okay,” she stepped aside giving him room to bring out the first animal.

One by one he brought the horses out and closed the door to the trailer. Taking the reins from her, he loosely tied the them to a rail on the door and looked for Devlin. “Quite a crowd, guess everyone was having a slow Sunday.”

“Is there really anything more important than someone’s life? I can’t think of anything I could be doing that couldn’t wait.”

Mace smiled, “me either. But people don’t always answer their phones and with so many here I would say friends were calling neighbors. I’m all for it, the park is huge. Honestly we could never cover it all, much less in six hours and counting. Add the fact this guy could be moving around trying to find his own way out… well it’s amazing we always find them.”

“Well that’s a bright sunny thought. Makes it sound like this is more of an exercise then a rescue.”

Mace laughed, “well I guess it depends on your point of view. You have to keep the faith. The whole happily ever after is what keeps people moving through life.”

Devlin strolled up as he finished his sentence. “Let’s go make a happily ever after then. We are in section C, it covers the Panther Creek Trail. Joven are you sure you want to do this, it’s a ruff area.”

“I’m sure, I want to help. I will go careful. It’s not like we will be galloping and Molly is surefooted.”

Mace grinned, “know her that well do ya?”

She sighed, she didn’t want to be left behind. “I’ll be fine.”

The boys glanced at each other. A silent message passing between them and Devlin handed her Molly’s reins. “Stay close, if it is a tight area you stay between us.” Joven happily agreed.

*****

The jagged ground was littered with rocks rating in size from pebbles to small boulders the bulk of a large man’s torso. Mixed in the rock sided chasms were branches, twigs, and leaves that had fallen from the guardian evergreens with watchful outstretched arms. The ground tilted upward to offer another obstacle in the searchers path to rescue. All of this was topped of by bits of dark green moss growing where it chose waiting to slid a foot or hoof off the strenuous path.

Joven’s breath caught in her throat at the treacherous beauty before her. “Last chance, you can still go back.” Devlin stated.

“No, I’m going. So stop trying to get rid of me. Once this guy is found we are coming back so I can take pictures. This has to be one of the most incredible places I have ever seen.”

Leading the way, Mace looked over his shoulder. “Then you haven’t seen much, wait until you see some of the waterfalls on this trail. They will make your heart stop.”

“Can’t wait, lets find this guy so I can see all the wonders. I think I’m going to have to dig out my scanner too. Start a website of some of my pictures so others can see how beautiful it is here.”

“That is an idea,” Devlin joined in the conversation. He was the last in the line of three. “Don’t worry about trying to find a pathway through this area Joven, Molly will follow Mace. She knows where she can step and where she can’t, just relax the reins and give her, her own head.” His own reins were held loosely in his right hand that rested on his horses neck.

She glanced over her shoulder and imitated his actions. Her body relaxed even more feeling the sure footedness of the animal beneath her. Joven had placed her camera around her neck before they had left. Feeling it bump lightly against her chest, she fought the urge to snap random shots. “How big is our area? How will we know if someone else finds him?”

“It’s around eighteen miles total. Which doesn’t sound far, but it will take us five or so hours just on the trial alone. So we better start calling, his name is Rick Reynolds.“ Devlin raised his voice, “Rick… Rick Reynolds.”

The rugged trial crawled upwards for the next hour and half a mile. The conversation had ended leaving the threesome calling Rick’s name repeatedly in turn. First Devlin would call, then Joven, leaving Mace to follow up from the front of the pack. Only the wind broke the cycle, crying mournfully above them. The sound wrapped around them, wraths searching for away through the leaves to reach down and pluck them from their horses. Birds screeched warnings from the distant end of the trial and small creatures ran the forest floor rousing smells from their sleep to fill the senses of the searchers.

Life sang behind them and in front of them. The trail leveled out, still littered with large rocks and branches. Mace moved down the route a short ways and lower himself from his horse. “We can take a short break here and water the horses.” Reaching into the left side of the saddle bag he pulled out a flat brown leather bag and a cantina. Filling it cautiously he moved in front of his horse and hung the bag over his head. “There you go Apples.”

Joven watched him and mimicked his moves with Molly. Seeing a low hanging branch she enfolded it with the reins. “I’m going to stretch my legs for a minute.”

Both boys smiled in response. Keeping his eyes on her Devlin watered Midnight, stroking his neck as the horse emptied the bag. “Watch your feet, we don’t want you twisting an ankle.”

She didn’t respond picking her way cautiously back the way they had come. Once at the top of the prominence she leaned forward on a evergreen and pointed her camera down the itinerary. Staring through the lens she considered the angle and fired off a quick session of three photos. Moving forward she squatted and aimed again. The view followed the drop of the route until it fell out of the frame leaving the great evergreens reaching up from the beyond. Three more clicks and she was ready to change her position again. Looking up she picked out a tree with several low hanging branches. Letting the camera fall back to her chest she tested the offshoots and then heaved herself into the tree. Ascending the limbs she located a junction between a branch and the tree and sat down. Leaning forward carefully she lined up on the view again, encompassing the horizon in the small ocular window, three more clicks stopped time.

Joven rested for a moment taking in the scene with the naked eye. Knowing she could spend a full day in this area alone taking pictures. She doubted that she would ever have enough film to cover the enchanted world standing around her. Sighing, she wiggled her body around and then felt her way to the ground. Striding back to the boys her mind returned to the task at hand.

Mace was taking off the watering bag from Molly’s head, “I suggest you get a drink too.” Re-creasing the lines of the bag he slipped back into the saddlebag. “You can hang one of the cantinas on the saddle horn to make it easier to reach.” Releasing the reins from the tree, he held Molly by the harness so Joven could mount.

Devlin finished putting up his own watering bag and slipped back into his saddle. “I would love to see your pictures when you have them developed. I doubt I have ever seen the view the way you do.”

She smiled, “sorry if I held us up. Just yell at me guys and I will stop. It’s just so hard to resist this place.”

“It’s not a problem, you moving around will help you walk in the morning. The horses didn’t finish any faster than you.” Mace directed Apples back into the lead. “I would rather you take photos off Molly, then have you fall off of her.”

The group fell back into the routine of calling for Rick one after the other. Searching side to side as they went, the trail ahead remained barren of their quarry. The forest was occupied by life, moving curiously around the team, never close enough to see. Trees continued to reach dense fingers at them, falling just short of knocking the riders from there mounts.

A murmur started softly in the distance. A quite force felt more in the tips of their fingers, nose, and ears then heard. The trees ricocheted the delicate sound. Bristling leaves floated slowly to the ground on the vibration. Joven found herself twisting from side to side trying to locate the song.

Devlin smiled as he observed her movements. She didn’t know what she was listening to or where it originated from, it was a sound felt more than heard in the beginning. “A few more minutes and we’ll come up on a waterfall from the Panther River. That’s what your feeling now.”

“It is more like a feeling than a sound, but I think I hear it too.”

“Here in a minute you will really hear it.” Mace stated and took his turn. “Rick!” He scanned from side to side seeing nothing. “We will rest the horses again there and water them from the river. Joven of course will take pictures.” he laughed.

She started to respond but was cut off by a dull roar growing in force. The trees ahead were loosing there grip on the audio sensation. Gurgling intensified the vibration shaking the trees lightly in retaliation for the imprisonment. The field of vision opened before them showing a bouldered floor stacked on top of each other. The deluge of water was so large that it creeped over the simple routes and flowed head first over the larger rocks rumbling in freedom at the bottom. “Oh my God,” she whispered.

“Will take a ten minute break here and water the horses.” Mace slid from his horse and walked her down to the river a few feet below the waterfall.

Devlin slipped from his saddle, “I’ll take Molly.” Taking the reins from her hands before she dropped them.

“I’m so glad I grabbed an extra roll of film. I would be kicking myself if I hadn’t.” Shamefaced she looked at the boys. “Sorry, I know that is not why we’re here. I really do want Rick to be found.”

Mace laughed, “we would be stopping even if you didn’t have a camera. This place is beautiful, the only way it doesn’t get your attention is if your dead.”

“I have to agree with Mace.” Devlin stood at the edge of the river on a flat rock letting Midnight and Molly drink from the calm pool it had created. “Besides, I can’t wait to see this place through your eyes.”

A smile crept over her face and she climbed the side of the stony hill. Standing parallel to the waterfall she aimed her camera towards the boys. The water ran at them ready to flow over anything in its path. All three horses had their heads down drinking slowly regardless of the rivers speed. Joven loved the contradiction it created. Standing peace against raging force, neither side concerned with the other. Coursing through their own reality as if there were no other. She snapped her customary three shots and carefully made her way back down the hill. This time moving beyond the horses, leaving the waterfall in the background. Squatting down she angled her camera slightly to capture the trees lining the river, leaned in somewhat to listen to the play by play escape of the water. Three more clicks and Joven stood up.

Sauntering back to the point of entry on the river, she leaned back on a limbless tree and searched for the best shot. Putting the horses and waterfall in the center, lined by the trees bowing slightly towards them. “Okay, I’m done. I won’t waste what time we have left.”

“The next stop is our last one. It’s an old bridge.” Devlin informed her. “Then we turn back or we will be here after dark. The terrain is way to ruff for that.”

“Okay, who knows, by then maybe someone has found Rick and he will be alright.” She raised herself into the saddle. “How far do you think he could have gotten on foot?”

Mace was leading the team again, “depends on how much time he had. If he figured out he was lost and decided to wait where he is to be found. Or decided he could do it on his own. He could be walking further into the woods.”

Joven paled a bit, as beautiful as the forest was to her she didn’t envy anyone spending the night in it. The wind whispering through the trees was like a tease to find it in the daylight. In the gloomy shadows of moonlight one would look over their shoulder trying to see the fiend slipping up from behind. A chill reached out from her stomach and covered her body. Sneaking a look over her shoulder, she saw only Devlin following close behind. Turning face forward again she let out a breath she didn’t realize she had been holding.

To shake the feeling of being hunted by a unknown demon she watched the scenery fall away, being reborn with each new tree or wild flower. The clicking of the horses hoofs on the rock path became mesmerizing and she let the clatter carry her imagination to a lighter place.

The threesome were still taking turns on hollering for Rick. Desiring a reply that didn’t come. Small creatures scurried from the echo of their voices ricocheting off the stones and trees. Ghost mockingly calling back to them with their own unanswered cries. Again Joven had to shake off the cold feeling of a darken forest waiting for the unsuspecting explorer to misstep and never leave.

A deep rumbling caressed the sound of the wind whispering through the leaves. Forcing its way through the guarding trees at the invading visitors. Missing her turn in the line she turned her head from side to side to see where the warning was coming from. “What is that sound?”

Mace answered without looking back, “we are coming up on the bridge over Panther Creek. It runs pretty fast through here.”

Breathing a sigh, Joven returned to the routine of calling for Rick. Just like the waterfall, the river appeared from nowhere. It was several feet wide, but only a foot or so deep. The river bed was creased with large and small boulders. Some that allowed the current to rip over them and others that forced the water into an evasive path. The banks were lined with evergreens, split apart by the wooden bridge crossing to the other side. The overpasses wooden beams were from long ago fallen evergreens being watched over by their still standing brethren. Moss covered rocks protected the banks of the river closest to the bridge. Tempting a hiker to use the link for support while easing down to the water, giving it a chance to sweep the prey away.

Joven slipped from Molly’s saddle and handed the reins to Devlin. “I will be quick. I only have five pictures left on this roll. You guys are being great to take care of Molly for me while I play, thanks a lot.”

Devlin smiled, “your welcome. I’m glad to do it for you. I have to say for your first time riding a horse it has been quite a lesson. I wouldn’t have done this trail first day out.”

“We need to refill the water pouches too. I can do that if you watch the horses Dev.” Mace held his hand out for them. “You have about ten minutes Joven, make them count.”

She nodded her head and walked over the bridge and moved up the bank slowly. Finding a prominent boulder on the shoreline she laid across it on her abdomen and lined up a shot showing the entire bridge center frame. Standing back up she jumped up on the rock and aimed down to include the bridge and Devlin watering the horses.

Hurrying back across the bridge she stopped at the end and squatted down. Lining up her next two shots she centered the passage walkway and clicked. Standing again, she walked down the trail so the horses and the bridge were above her. Mace was kneeling at the edge of the river filling the pouches, staring at the rushing water. Devlin holding all three of the horses reins, standing with Molly on his left, and Apples and Midnight on his right. The span towered in the background, an unmovable force of technology standing still in mother nature.

The three travelers remounted their horses, back tracking the way they had come. Each taking their turn at calling Rick’s name, heads flicking side to side, seeing nothing but the nature that surrounded them. Making scheduled stops along the way to rest and water the horses. The sun was low in the sky bringing up shadows and animals that preyed in the night. Howls called in the distance carried on the wind with the scent of small creatures running for shelter.

Three hours back brought no view of the lost hiker Rick and they dismounted at the beginning of the trail. Several of the other searchers were back in the dirt parking lot and all eyes turned to them when the clicking of hooves notified those waiting for news. “That’s not a good sign.” Mace was once again in the lead of the pack. “Looks like a few teams are still out. Let’s load the horses and wait for the others. Maybe Rick will get lucky and be found tonight.”

Joven shuttered, forest shadows creped through her mind, she was thankful they were safe in the visitor centers parking lot. “What are his odds of surviving the night?”

“That’s not a question anyone can answer, there are way to many factors. If he is not hurt, or hurt badly, in decent health, has some provisions with him, and warm clothes, then he has a good chance.” Devlin held Midnights reins waiting on Mace to finish loading Molly beside Apples. “If he needs meds, ran out of water, is wearing shorts or bleeding… well his chances go down. At this time, there is nothing else we can do. They won’t allow people to search at night. Someone else could be lost or hurt. Or they could walk right by him, if he is injured, he may not respond. That area may not be searched again.”

“Remind me never to get lost in the woods.” she whispered.

Mace finished loading the horses and closed the gate. “I’m going to walk around and see what everyone else knows.”

Devlin nodded and motioned Joven over to a fallen evergreen left on the ground as a bench. Sitting down beside her he casually draped his arm over her shoulders. They finished the night in quite conversation concerned for the man spending the night alone in the dreary frigid woods.

*****



It was 10:30 p.m. when Devlin walked Joven to her front door. “How are you feeling, if your getting stiff I recommend a hot bath.”

“Already on the menu,” she answered tiredly. “What time does the search start tomorrow?”

“As soon as the sun comes up. But I think that would be a bit much for you. You ride to many times in a row and you won’t be able to walk. I know it’s hard to sit on the side lines, but it’s best for you right now. Mace and I will join the search again and I will call as soon as he is found.”

She stopped with the key in the lock waiting to allow her entrance. “I want to help.”

He held up a hand to stop her protest. “I know you do. But I don’t want you hurt. Your not experienced enough to ride some of those trails. Stay home, develop your pictures, and when he is found or we are done I will take you to dinner.”

Sighing softly she nodded, “okay, I will wait it out. But you let me know as soon as you know something.”

Kissing her lightly on the forehead, “you will be the first person I call, I promise.” Turning with a smile he left her standing on cracked concrete porch watching him depart into the darkness.

Taillights disappeared leaving Joven on the front porch alone. Turning the key, she opened the door and walked inside. She debated for a moment about going to the kitchen for a snack and decided against it. Using the oak banister to drag herself up the stairs she turned left at the landing. Making her way down the dark hallway she stopped long enough to flick on the light of the darkroom. Sitting the camera bag down she reached for the light switch, “Jo, is that you? It’s almost eleven, I thought you were going to call me.”

“Oh God mom, I forgot, I’m sorry. There was a hiker that went missing and we joined in the search.”

Linda stood across the void between the halls leaning on her bedroom door jam. “That’s terrible! Did they find him?”

“No, not yet. They had to call the search, it’s to dark to do it safely. So he is out there by himself in the dark.”

“We will have to hold on to faith that he will be okay and they will find him tomorrow. Are you going to search tomorrow?”

Joven shook her head, “no, Devlin thinks it would be better if I didn’t. We were on horses all day. He says that to is to much riding for someone not use to it, and the trails are ruff.”

“He wants you safe. I like that about him. All you can do is keep the guy in your prayers.”

“His name is Rick. She informed her mother. “I’m going for a hot bath and bed.”

“Okay, I will keep Rick in my prayers. Rest well baby.”

Joven nodded at her mother and turned to the second stair case. Without flipping the light on she felt her way along the wall up the five steps and opened the door to her bedroom. Walking directly to the bathroom in the murky light coming in from the two window seats, she snapped on the light and started filling the tub. Watching it fill, she dumped in some bubble bath and then slipped from her clothes.

She rested against the back of the tub and put a warm wash cloth over her eyes. The bubbles came close to overflowing the tub, modestly coving her in a blanket. The scent of warm lavender relaxed her, and she dropped into sleep.

*****

The forest ground was pitch black making it impossible to see a safe path through the rocks threatening to twist or break an ankle. Thin fingers of moonlight grasped at openings in the branches attempting to cut a trail of light through the dark. Scraping sounds encircled her, testing for an unwatched opening to exploit. Out of the darkness a white hand connected with her shoulder and Joven stifled a scream in the back of her throat.

“What are you doing in the woods at night?”

“I don’t know,” her voice shook.

“Joven, it’s not safe here. I told you we would finish the search for Rick.”

“Devlin, is that you?”

He laughed, “who did you think it would be? The real question is, what are we doing in the woods? I know how dangerous it is to be here, wolves, bears, large cats all hunt at night.”

Feeling stronger, “I don’t know why I’m here. I was taking a bubble bath…”

“That’s a nice image. I was in bed thinking of Rick out here alone. Joven, what is going on? This is the second time I have had a dream with you in it. I can’t begin to tell you how real it feels.” Reaching up he rattled a near by branch. Evergreen scented the air on the heels of crackling. “My dreams have never been this real.”

“You were on the path. You talked to me about my fathers murder.”

“Yeah, that was the other time. Your dad was beaten to death protecting you?” His voice was barely above a whisper.

Joven nodded, and then realized he couldn’t see the movement. “Yeah, that’s what we talked about. It was because of that I decided to get back into photography. It was something we shared, something he taught me to do. I guess I just needed that connection to him again.”

A lonely howl interrupted the conversation and Devlin pulled her close. “I would love to figure this out, but I don’t think now is the time. “ Cautiously he led her down the pathway. Their footsteps echoed off the loose stones gaining the attention of the owner of the howl.

Soft footfalls could be heard in between their own, increasing the need to retreat. Growls joined the hunt as other night creatures recognized the smell of prey. Devlin attempted to speed up their escape. A bulky black shadow shot out of the trail before them and Joven screamed falling to the ground. Splinters from downed tree limbs bit into her palms and she vaulted from the tub with bloody hands.

Her whole body was shaking as she rinsed blood down the drain. Taking tweezers from the bathroom counter she pulled pieces of wood free and tried to reason what was happening. Wrapping a towel around her body she sat on her bed and dialed Devlin’s cell phone.

He picked up on the second ring, “Joven, did what I think just happen actually happen?”

“Depends on what you think just happened. If you think we were just in the woods running for our lives and something jumped us on the path, then yes. I have the splinters I pulled out of my hands to prove it.”

For several seconds Devlin remained quite, “how are you doing that?”

“I don’t know, but it’s scarring the hell out of me.”

“Lets keep this between us for now. See if we can figure it out. If you don’t mind can we stay out of the forest at night?”

“I didn’t choose to go there, it just happened. But I’m sure I will be up the rest of the night. So you should be safe. “

A few minutes later they said there goodbyes and hung up. Joven dressed for bed slipping the deep green nightshirt over bare skin letting it caress her knees as she made her way down to the kitchen to start a pot of coffee.
© Copyright 2010 RedIniquity (iniquityred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720512-Dreamland-Chapter-5