*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720688-Are-You-a-Flexitarian
by Cami M
Rated: E · Article · Food/Cooking · #1720688
An exploration of the semi-vegetarian lifestyle.
The humorist, Fran Lebowitz, was not alone when she said, “My favorite animal is steak.” America is a nation of meat-eaters. The United States Department of Agriculture reported that the total meat consumption in the year 2000 reached 195 pounds per person, 57 pounds above the average annual consumption in the 1950’s. According to Charles Stahler of the Vegetarian Resource Group, it is estimated that 3 percent of the population are vegetarians, and only one percent consider themselves vegan, avoiding not only meat, but eggs and dairy as well .

Avoiding animal products—including meat--does not have to be all or nothing proposition. Up to 40% of Americans could be considered “flexitarian” a term that the American Dialect Society gave its top honor for being the most useful new work of 2003. Flexitarian describes a person who eats largely vegetarian but who is not committed to complete denial of animal foods. In terms of the environment or preserving animal life, two people cutting their meat consumption in half helps as much as one person going completely vegetarian.

While some gravitate to a vegetarian (or semi-vegetarian) lifestyle for ethical reasons, others do so for health reasons. The John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health’s Center for a Livable Future does not promote giving up meat entirely, but they do recognize the health benefits associated with decreased meat consumption. To this end, they sponsor the Meatless Monday campaign which aims to help prevent heart disease, stroke, and cancer—the three leading causes of death.

Making simple vegetarian substitutions in menu choices can benefit not only the body, but the budget as well. Grains, legumes, eggs and some soy options are less costly sources of protein. Aside from Meatless Mondays, a decrease in consumption of animal foods can be achieved by halving the amount of meat in recipes, eating smaller portions, and avoiding meat for some meals. Vegan eating may not appeal to you, and you may not find an “animal” you like better than steak; but being a “bad” vegetarian—a flexitarian—can do your health and your wallet some good.
© Copyright 2010 Cami M (skywriter1962 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720688-Are-You-a-Flexitarian