*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720751-Family-Surprise
Rated: 13+ · Other · Family · #1720751
Madeleine is having a great party. Nothing can ruin it. Or can it?
It was Madeleine's eighteenth birthday party, celebrated with her family. She had enjoyed herself up until her sister, Christine decided to make an announcement.

“Now,” Christine said, exchanging a look with her boyfriend, Sam. “Sam and I have something to tell you.” There was a silence in anticipation. Christine proudly held out a large diamond ring. “Sam and I are engaged!” Madeleine look at her in shock. Over the congratulating, Madeleine was the only one who noticed the smug look that Christine gave her. I'm better. It said. Madeleine struggled to look happy for her sister.

“Oh, Madeleine.” Her mother gushed. “Imagine, our little Christine! Engaged at twenty three! Oh, I simply can't wait to see the grandchildren!” Christine smiled at Madeleine, which to anyone else would be interpreted as friendly, but Madeleine knew the real meaning behind it. She knew it was going to be a difficult night. After a hour of listening to talk about Christine and Sam, Madeleine cut in.

“Mum, you know this is my birthday, right?” Everyone looked at her in surprise. “All you've done all night is talk about Christine!”

“Well, I am getting married.” Christine said. “That's a pretty big occasion.”

“More important than my eighteenth?”

“Madeleine-” Her mother began.

“Don't come up with excuses, mum! You've always favoured her! This is my night! Why does she get more attention than me? Why did she have to tell us tonight? To steal attention from me, that's why!” Madeleine yelled, feeling a mixture of anger and relief. She picked up her keys. “I'm eighteen now, right? Which means I can go drinking? I'll see you in the morning.” With that, she left, with her family looking on in shock.







Words: 298
© Copyright 2010 Roxanne (roxanne246 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720751-Family-Surprise