*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720781-Home-Sweet-Home
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1720781
What do you do when the one you love isn't who they say they are?
Looking into the mirror Barry whispers “I am powerful. I am a man.” Taking a deep breath he exits the bathroom. Barry is a self-motivated man. He’s an executive for a fairly large company. Barry is respected and many are fond of him. He is a simple man, listens with an open heart and is patient with everyone. His board meeting today was long and draining. It didn’t go as he had hoped. The company had dropped a few points in the stock and Barry worries it’s his fault. Not wanting to linger anymore he heads to the underground parking to get in his car and go home. At home, he pulls into the garage, closes the door behind him and goes into the house. As like every night, he rinses his coffee mug and places it in the dishwasher. He enjoys the routine; there is something calming about it. He checks on dinner as it cooks in the oven and then calls to his wife to announce he is home. He knows where to find her, sitting watching television. He kisses her on the head and says he’s going to change. Dashing upstairs and quickly changing he hears as his wife calls him to dinner where they dine in silence. Neither talk about their day, nor do they ask about each other’s day. Lost in their own world the silence lingers. The routine continues as the evening goes on. As the dishes are cleared away and loaded into the dishwasher, Barry heads upstairs to get some work done.

Lost in his work, Barry looks at the clock realizing the time, he heads to bed. As he comes into the bedroom he looks down and sees his pile of dirty clothes on the floor. A small sigh escapes his lips. His wife enters behind him and sees the pile and begins to pick it up quickly. The tension in the room grows until the yelling begins.

“Everyday I work hard. This routine is in place for a reason. How hard is it to follow simple instructions? When clothes are dirty we put them in the laundry, when they are clean we put them away. We do it everyday Barry! I try to keep this house clean for you and you forget to put your dirty clothes in the laundry? Once of these days Barry, one of these days I’m going to leave you. I’m tired of this… this… abuse!”

Barry sits on the corner of the bed watching as his wife yells and picks up the clothes. He learned long ago not to help, it makers her angrier. He looks at her puzzled, “abuse?”

“Yes Barry, you’re taking advantage of me, you’re abusing me.” She lunges forward and slaps Barry. Cursing under her breath she begins to leave their bedroom. She abruptly turns and wants to hit him more. She comes at him, anger flashes in her eyes. Barry afraid to restrain his wife, as that will make her angry and more aggressive, heads to the bathroom. He paces back and forth and repeats “she loves me and just wants what’s best for me. She won’t leave. Everything will be fine. Tomorrow will be a better day.” Barry, still feeling fearful, gets ready for bed, slips under the covers and sets the alarm for another day.

Don't forget to check out my blog - http://cgreyes.wordpress.com/
© Copyright 2010 Crystal Reyes (cgreyes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720781-Home-Sweet-Home