*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720975-No-Boundaries
by Rose
Rated: E · Short Story · Nonsense · #1720975
power of the mind shielded by innocence
         My toes grip the rough edge of the porous rock, my body teetering over the sweltering liquid below. Erin skips jubilantly away, certain that I have fallen to my death and she has finally won. Carefully, slowly, painfully, I regain my balance and step back from what just moments before had seemed my eminent doom. Breathing deeply I turn to find Erin mesmerized by my recovery, fear returning to her eyes. Pebbles fly as she spins around, frantic in her escape. My sights are set as I run after her, leaping from mound to mound, the red glow on my face reflecting my determined vengeance. My feet pound the rocks, propelling me faster and faster toward my goal, when the earth beneath me abruptly gives way. Arms flail as I try to grab hold of something, anything. The world is tumbling away from me and looking up I can see Erin’s grinning face peering at me, a pillow clutched in her hand. “You cheater!” I scream. And impact! I blink quickly, the wind knocked out of me, my chest heaving, struggling for air, the room returning around me. I roll over, the carpet rough and itchy on my face and clammy hands, and pull myself to my feet. Erin scrambles up onto the couch and gives a little nod. This isn’t over, I think, as the pillow is replaced and I start the countdown. “Lava, in five, four, three, two, one!”
© Copyright 2010 Rose (hrcrabtree at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720975-No-Boundaries