*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722663-Clues
by redine
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1722663
Xavier loves Katie;Jett likes Kate;Katie/Kate doesn't know anything.This'd be interesting.
Clues




“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Are you sure sure?”

“Yes.”

“Are you freaking sure?!”

“I already said yes, two times.  Are you deaf now, Kate?”

“Just wanna clarify a few things… I mean, are you dead serious, Jett?”

“Yes, as I’ve said a while ago, yes. Yes, I am dang sure and serious. Yes, I tell yah! Yes! Now you understand me, woman?”

“I-I’m sorry. I-I just… Whoa. It never occurred to me that me and Xavier… that Xavier and I… that-that-tha”

“Would you shut up already? Xave likes you. He likes you likes you. The man digs you, alright? Sheesh! I can’t believe he’d like someone who’s so dense!”

“Sh-shut up! Excuse me for being dense! He wasn’t even showing me signs that he likes me, Jett.”

“Signs? Not showing signs?! Man. You’re the densest girl I ever met. Stupid.  He’s been showing you thousands of signs!”

“Stop calling me mean name- What did you say?”

“I said, Xave’s been showing you signs of his affection even to this day. Poor guy. Guess he’d never have his feelings reciprocated. Do you like him back, Kate?”

“Y-you must be kidding. Xavier doesn’t like me. He doesn’t. He wouldn’t. That’d break our friendship! That’s a taboo between three friends! I-I-”

“Friendship, blah! Love’s in the air now.”

“…”

“Stop hyperventilating, would you? Am tellin’ you the truth, Kate. He likes you. Believe me. Remember the times when he would start being clingy to you… When he would compliment you all of the sudden… When he would say you smell nice even when you don’t… You get my point?”

“…There were instances that Xave became suspiciously nice to me…”

“Thank God! He enlightened your tiny little brain! You finally came to your senses!”

“Quit the sarcasm, Jett. Am trying to think here.”

“Good, then you’re helping me lessen my job a bit. Now, think of at least six moments when Xavier became all ‘lovey dovey’ with you.”

“Don’t say ‘lovey dovey’ as if he and I are already a couple. We aren’t.”

“Whatever. Just remember okay? And tell me immediately what you think about Xave afterwards.”

“F-fine but I’m telling yah, nothing’ll ever change between me, you and Xave.”

“That’s what you think, Kate. Now, stop talking and start reminiscing.”

“Hmph.”

-

---------------F l a s h b a c k s--------------




“What the hell are you doing?”

“Nothing, Katie”

“Nothing? Nothing? You call that nothing, Xavier?”

“Yep.”

“You’ve been playing with my hair as if it’s a ball of yarn, Xave. Quit it.”

“I can’t.”

“Why couldn’t you?”

“Cuz I like playing with your cute dark hair, Katie.”

“Can’t you play with Jett’s hair instead?”

“I don’t wanna.”

“Why?”

“Cuz I don’t like Jett’s hair.”

“Is that your only reason?”

“No exactly. Honestly, I prefer you and your hair.”

“What did you say?”

“Nothing. Anyways, am still gonna play with your hair no matter what you say.”

“You’re such a weirdo, Xavier.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“C’mon! Kick him with the circle button already, Katie! You’re such a girl!”

“Cuz I am a girl, Xavier! Don’t blame me if I suck at this game, Jett just taught this one to me.”

“Jett taught you how to play this?”

“Apparently. Just yesterday. You can’t expect me to be a pro by now, Xave.”

“Where was I when he taught this to you?”

“I dunno. You were in your soccer club, I guess. Oh, darn. I lost. Again!”

“Damn that guy. I told him that I’d be the one to teach you.”

“What? I didn’t hear you, Xavier. The music’s too loud.”

“I said, whenever you need help in playing this game, call me instead of Jett. I know this better than him.”

“Oh. That’s nice of you Xave. Thanks.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So you’ve been practicing hard for your big race with Jett, haven’t you Katie?”

“Yeah. I just wanna beat that guy so badly. I just ran 3 laps.”

“I see. Well, you’re improving a lot.”

“It’s all because of your help, Xave.”

“I’m glad I’ve been in service for you, Katie.”

“Yeah, thanks so much. I couldn’t have improved without your hel- Why are you sniffing my hair, Xavier?”

“I smelled something nice.”

“Oh really?”

“It’s a really nice aroma, you know.”

“If you say so.”

“Your hair smells nice, Katie. What shampoo did you use today?”

“…Uh, Xave?”

“Yes?’

“That’s my sweat, Xavier. I just ran laps, I stink right now. That aroma you just said, yeah, that’s my stench.”

“Oh.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“(Yawn.) Am so tired, Katie.”

“Me too, Xave. I can’t believe me, you and Jett finished the whole set without having extra hands to help us.”

“What is more unbelievable for me is that Jett never got tired. He just hurried away to go home.”

“You’re right. Man, when will that boy ever tire himself?”

“God knows.”

“I mean, we’ve done dozens of things together but only the both of us were exhausted and Jett would act as if he has never done any work. How does he do tha- Xavier? What are you doing?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you really that tired? Why is your head on my shoulder?”

“…Tired…”

“T-this is kinda awkward. Xave, can you get your h-head off my shoulder?”

“…”

“Xave? You really asleep?”

“…Yeah. Can I stay like this for a while? Tired to death.”

“F-fine. Just for a while. Okay, Xave?”

“Hmm…You’re skin’s so soft like a pillow.”

“Y-yeah, right.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“X-Xave?”

“Yeah?”

“Why are you staring at me like that? You’re creeping me out.”

“Oh, it’s nothing, Katie. Am just looking at your lips.”

“Huh? My lips? Is there a stain or something? How embarrassing. I swear I thought my mouth was clean when I finished eating my chocola-”

“You’re worrying too much. It isn’t dirty.”

“Then why are you staring at it?”

“…I wonder how your lips taste like.”

“Oh, is that it, Xave? Hmm…Wait…It tastes like mint and cherry.”

“I wanna taste it.”

“Wow. That’s a weird request. You serious?”

“Yes.”

“When do you wanna do it?”

“Whenever you let me.”

“How about now?”

“N-now?”

“Yeah, why not?”

“Sure, I’d love to do it! Thank God.”

“Okay. Wait here, lemme just get my mint and cherry flavored lip gloss from my bag.”

“Say wha- What do you mean? I thought-I thou-”

“Just wait here, Xave. My bag’s not far away.”

“Mission-Kiss-Katie failed.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Katie, can I tell you something important?”

“Sure, Xave. You can tell me anything. We’re buds after all.”

“This is something I’ve kept for a long time.”

“Okay… What is it, Xavier?”

“…”

“C’mon, Xave, spit it out already. I can handle it.”

“Don’t freak, okay? Don’t go out and flip over this one.”

“I promise.”

“…Katie, I like you.”

“…Huh? What did you say? I think I didn’t hear you right.”

“Katie…I like you.”

“Are you sure? Are you serious? Are you crazy?! Are you mad?! I-I- I can’t believe… I-I-”

“Pfft.”

“Xavier! What was that ‘Katie, I like you’ mean?! Why are you laughing so hard?!”

“…”

“Xavier!”

“…I was just kidding, Katie. I was right. You were really going to flip when I told you that. Man. That was hilarious.”

“I can’t believe you’ve become like Jett now.”

“I can’t believe you’d easily fall for something like that.”

“…Hmph…Touché… But are you serious, Xave, that that was just a joke?”

“…Yeah, whatever you say.”

“Whew. That startled me a bit.”

“Guess my confession didn’t work, as usual.”





----------------E n d  o f  F l a s h b a c k s--------------




“…O-oh no.”

“I never thought I’d see the day when you finally are aware of Xave’s feelings for you.”

“…I-I never realized that he was serious all along… I-I thought they were just his usual friendly gestures…”

“Obviously, they weren’t. Those ‘gestures’ were really flirts in the first place. I can’t believe they didn’t work on you. Any girl in their right mind would’ve fallen for him anytime. But, you, bah! Even the most obvious actions, you just thought they were just ‘friendly gestures’.”

“You’re implying as if I’m the dumbest girl on earth, Jett.”

“Well you are.”

“U-urrrgghh. H-How about you then? How on earth did you know about me and Xavier?”

“Hello? I am like his best guy friend. I know almost everything about him. Anyways, I’ve been giving him advices on how to flirt with you but sadly my tips didn’t work. I should’ve taught him more obvious o-”

“Wait, wait, wait! You were giving him tips on how to fli- That explains all the whispering and scheming behind my back. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH YOU GUYS NOWADAYS?!”

“Ahh, you know. The stereotypical actions of a guy who’s in love and a guy who’s helping his friend in love. You get me?”

“Unfortunately, I did. Why didn’t Xavier just tell me that he likes me that much? That could’ve saved him less trouble.”

“Apparently, Xave is smarter than you think he is. He didn’t admit it to you cuz he’s afraid you’d freak and reject him immediately and you’d go ranting about our whole childhood friendship and all.”

“I-I-Sigh. You have a point.”

“See. After being best buds with you for the longest of years, Kate, you’ve become so predictable.”

“Well excuse you me if I’ve become so predictable. I also should’ve known that you guys grew so manipulative.

“Well, thank you. Anyways, that’s not important right now. As Xave’s official wingman, I have the obligation to ask this to you. Do you like Xavier now, Kate, after finally realizing that he obviously harbor huge feelings for you?”

“…”

“Aww…Kate, you’re so childish. You’re blushing. Talk about being obvious with your answer. Sheesh, woman, stop blushing so much, would you?”

“H-Hmph. D-don’t act so sure, Jett.”

“Don’t underestimate me, Kate. I have a feeling I know your answer already. Sweaty palms, reddened face, yup, that’s the signs of love, my friend.”

“…A-are you going to tell Xave?”

“If you want me to.”

“Don’t. I wanna tell him myself. I hate to admit it but thanks for letting me understand his clues, Jett.”

“It’s my pleasure. I did my job quite excellently, if you’d ask me.”

“Pfft. Both of you are still morons, you know.”

“Whatever you say, dense girl who reciprocates the feelings of the guy who likes her.”                                                   .End.

© Copyright 2010 redine (redine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722663-Clues