*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722809-TTC-History-of-Phallandar
Rated: 13+ · Novella · Fantasy · #1722809
This is the Intro and Chapter 1 of the Novella for "The Thakarius Chronicles".
Intro:

In the city of Syellin, located in the country of Valandor, resides the most respected Magus Academy in the world of Phallandar. The Syellin Thakarius Tower is the premier place of learning for those who wish to master the powers of magic and earn the title of Magus; this is where our story begins.

At the top of the Tower was a small room, inside a group of aspiring Magi sit patiently, waiting for their lesson to begin. At the front of the room stands a feeble old man, leaning on a thick cane and looking like a piece of parchment could win a fight with him. His crooked nose and heavy wrinkles accentuate his meek demeanor, yet this man is the most feared and respected Magus in the world. “You are all late.” The Magus’ voice boomed. The group looks wondrously at the old man, considering every one of them had been there 30 minutes early.

“You think you were early then do you? Well a TRUE Magus knows that to be somewhere on time is to be there before and while you are anywhere else.” The old man stared intently at the group before continuing. “Perhaps I have overestimated your understanding of the world and the role Magi play in Phallandar. Today we shall study the history of the Thakarius Stone and the role it played in the loss of the Kingdom of Luminaria over 32 Centuries ago.”

Chapter 1:

(3,200 years earlier)

In the Kingdom of Luminaria located in the Western Lands, King Latharas enters into the Throne Room to meet with his council of advisors. “This had better be good Rethis. You know this is the Queen’s birthday and I gave strict orders NOT to be disturbed!” He growled. As Latharas took his throne the table grew quiet. The King began to notice those in attendance; High Magus Rethis, Loeth Borzin the High Commander of the Royal Army, Lithia Myell High Priestess of the Church of Thakarius, Bonwer Kilthas Chief of the Black Blades, and Syellin Yura Master Scholar of the Luminaria Academy. This had to be important if the most powerful leaders in the Kingdom were gathered together at the same time. The last time they had all been in one place…. “Sire, the Phalldarians are gathering at the border. They have already decimated 4 of our outposts and sent a messenger to inform you that King Atner intends to take your head.” The voice that spoke belonged to the High Magus. Rethis was a few years younger than Latharas, who was the youngest King in the history of Luminaria. Latharas and Rethis had grown up together in the farmlands just a few miles north of the Capital of Luminar. In the entire Kingdom the only person who would challenge the King’s decisions was Rethis. “Magus, you do understand what your implying? If what you are claiming is true, which I have little doubt that it is, then we are looking at all out war against an extremely formidable foe. Where do you think they will attack next?” A low maniacal laugh could be heard coming from the far end of the table. The source was Bonwer Kilthas Chief of the Black Blades, a group of elite assassins formed by the third ruler of Luminaria King Laran.

When Phalldarian Rogues infiltrated the castle during Laran’s reign, a group of highly trained guards swept Laran away to an underground barracks for 2 years while the rogues searched high and low for him. When news reached the barracks that Phalldar’s King was on the move and intended to claim the throne for himself, the true purpose for the 2 years of hiding was revealed. One of the rogues had been captured over the 2 years they had forced him to teach them everything they knew. When the guards returned to the castle know one knew why they were there. As Phalldar’s King raised his hands to reach for the crown of Luminaria, an arrow jutted out of his forehead as he fell to the ground. The Phalldarians retreated only to find Laran and the rest of his elite group waiting for them. When they had killed all of the Phalldarian rogues, Laran placed his sword in black ink and pressed it to the head of the Phalldarian King before hiding the head in a shipment of goods bound for the palace in Phalldar. The merchant drove the cart across the Western Plains into the Northern Mountains and out into the cold valley of the city of Phalldaria. When the head arrived the Queen saw the black mark of the blade and sent a reply to Laran, a request for a truce stating she did not wish to fall to the dangerous “Black Blades” and thus the group was named and has been so named ever since.

“What do you find so funny Bonwer? Is there something you would like to share with the rest of us?” The laugh slowed until it became barely audible. “Latharas, do you honestly believe that the Black Blades are not prepared? We have placed squads at the 4 closest villages to their last known position. However, it would be wise to mobilize a larger force, but without knowing the exact target you could leave yourself wide open for a flank attack. My advice to you, my dear King, is to send your forces to the village of Mara. All of our intelligence points to that being the most likely target.” Latharas closed his eyes and sat back in his throne. He had to think this through; even though the Black Blades have the best intelligence system in the world that did not mean that their calculations were infallible. The kingdom of Phalldar was infamous for being manipulative in their tactics, they would march on one place and immediately change direction and attack another. “Bonwer, has your intelligence taken into consideration Phalldar’s usual tactics?” Bonwer could feel the ire building within him. “My King”, he started trying to suppress the anger building inside him. “The Black Blades always take into account every detail. Our decision on Mara was based on many possible misdirection tactics; they all lead to Mara being their target.” When Latharas asked him what their least likely target was, Bonwer went from angry to confused and almost got whiplash from the redirection. “I have no idea why that is your primary concern, but if you must know; the least likely target would be here, the capital city itself, Luminar.” The city and the kingdom had been named for the most powerful Magus of any age. Luminar was one of the first female Magi and the only one to surpass the great Magus Thakarius, for whom the Thakarius Stone was named.

“Loeth, prepare the army just inside the city walls, send the women and children in an army caravan to the village of Mara.” Bonwer went rabid. “Latharas, you dare send the women and children to their deaths while you protect yourself and the army inside the city walls!” “No you fool!” Latharas snapped back, “They will attack where we least expect them to and that is right here in Luminar. When we send the women and children out they will be riding in an army caravan just like our men would, this will cause Phalldar to believe that we bought into their little ploy in Mara. Then when they attack the walls, they will be greeted by the entire army, 20,000 soldiers raining down on the heads of our, would be destroyers.” It was these cardinal moments that made people realize just how good a king Latharas was.
© Copyright 2010 Jonathan Dante (jblackwell1989 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722809-TTC-History-of-Phallandar