*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722970-THE-BOXING-TRUTH-Can-Taylor-bounce-back
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Sports · #1722970
Originally published May 2009 The Boxing Truth Can Taylor bounce back from yet another..
THE BOXING TRUTH: Can Taylor bounce back from yet another setback?



In this edition of The Boxing Truth Beau Denison examines Jermain Taylor’s recent challenge of the WBC Super-Middleweight championship held by Carl Froch.





It can be said sometimes in the sport of Boxing that it is not when a fighter wins a world championship that defines the fighter’s greatness but rather how the fighter responds to adversity that truly shows what the fighter is made of. In the case of former Middleweight champion Jermain Taylor, a fighter that rose quickly out of the amateurs into the professional ranks and through the middleweight division; the question of how he responds to adversity has yet to be answered.



After defeating Bernard Hopkins to win the Middleweight championship in 2005, many people criticized the decision believing that Hopkins won the fight. This opinion was also the case when Taylor became the victor in the rematch, which many believed was even more of a clear boxing lesson displayed by Hopkins who once again appeared to be the victor.



Perhaps the source of the criticism was that Taylor fought well early in both fights but faded in the mid-to late rounds due to fatigue allowing Hopkins to take advantage and narrow the scorecards. Taylor has had a stigma of fading late in fights since the two close fights with Hopkins most notably in his title defense against former Jr. Middleweight champion Winky Wright in a close fight that ended in a draw. A draw that many feel Wright deserved the victory. The pattern of Taylor looking good early but fading late in the fight was also evident in this fight.



The inconsistency of Taylor eventually manifested itself when he fought Kelly Pavlik in the summer of 2007. Taylor was able to hurt and put Pavlik down early in the fight but failed to finish him.



Then, in perhaps a case of fighting the wrong type of fight more than a case of stamina issues, Taylor engaged Pavlik punch for punch with Pavlik eventually getting the better of Taylor stopping the previously undefeated champion in the seventh round.



Following the loss to Pavlik Taylor invoked an immediate rematch clause. This time the two would fight at a catch weight of 166lbs in a non-title fight. The rematch unlike the slugfest of the first fight turned out to be more of a tactical battle. Taylor’s pattern of looking good early but fading late however also showed itself in this fight, this time costing Taylor the fight losing a close unanimous decision.



After losing back to back fights against Pavlik, Taylor resurfaced in the 168lb Super-Middleweight division. Taylor’s first official fight as a super-middleweight was against former Super-Middleweight champion Jeff Lacy.



Taylor seemed to execute a good fight plan from start to finish in this fight as he effectively out boxed Lacy with the use of his jab to set off combinations. This was one instance where the pattern of looking good early and fading late did not become a factor for Taylor winning a convincing unanimous decision.



The win over Lacy moved Taylor into a mandatory position to challenge the new WBC Super-Middleweight champion Carl Froch. Taylor was able to box effectively early in this fight using his jab to set up his combinations similar to how he was able to be effective in the fight with Jeff Lacy.



Taylor staggered Froch and knocked him down with a barrage of punches late in the third round. Froch was able to beat the count. From this point Taylor seemed to take a step back and not put pressure on Froch bringing up similarities between this fight and Taylor’s first fight with Kelly Pavlik.



Taylor hurting and dropping his opponent but failing to effectively attempt to finish the fight after the opponent got off the canvas. It could be that the mere sight of an opponent getting up after being dropped as a result of flush punches that seems to have a physiological effect on Taylor’s confidence. This could also be the source of why Taylor has problems finishing a hurt opponent.



In this particular fight it should be noted that Taylor was effective early from a defensive standpoint but as the fight went on Taylor seemed to make tactical mistakes in that he elected to stand and trade punches with the much slower Froch. Perhaps it would have been in Taylor’s best interest to continue out boxing Froch with his jab which led to the knockdown in round three rather than electing to slug it out with the undefeated world champion.



Taylor could have simply under estimated Froch’s ability to recover due to the fact that Taylor was the first man to ever knock Froch down in his career. Froch a fighter with a brawling type of style that throws wide punches that leaves plenty of opportunities for good counter punchers to land effectively. If Taylor had gone with the approach that he seemed to come into the fight with by using his jab from the outside to set up his offense, he theoretically could have picked Froch apart simply by counter punching and could have won the fight easily. Taylor has all the ability from a pure boxer’s standpoint that would have made this possible.



One flaw was clearly evident. Taylor’s decision to abandon his game plan and fight in a style that was more suited to favor Froch. Taylor stopped using the weapon that brought him to the dance “His Jab.”



Over the course of the fight it also became increasingly evident that Taylor was getting caught by straight right hands that as the rounds went on Froch was able to land seemingly at will. As the fight went on Froch became more and more aggressive and was able to gradually back Taylor up. Where was the solid defense that Taylor was able to execute so well early in the fight?



Whether it was the tactical mistake of not using his jab and getting into Froch’s kind of fight or the pattern of looking good early and fading late in the fight that has defined his career, Taylor was unable to make adjustments during the fight. Although Froch gradually took control of the fight over time, it should not go unnoticed that Taylor did have his moments throughout the fight.



By the late rounds the question that came into the equation was with all the momentum clearly in Froch’s favor would he be able to catch Taylor in time before the fight went the full twelve round distance. What made this the key factor of the fight was that by the late rounds Taylor despite being badly fatigued had the fight won on the scorecards. Perhaps Taylor would have been better served to not stand in front Froch in the twelfth round and work the clock and play the role of an elusive fighter. Taylor instead chose to fight Froch till the end.



Froch staggered Taylor with a straight right hand that set off a brutal barrage of punches with Taylor being knocked down with just twenty-nine seconds remaining in the fight. Taylor badly hurt displayed the heart of a champion by getting up to beat the count despite having nothing left to give. Taylor could not protect himself from, forcing the referee to stop the fight with fourteen seconds left in the fight. Froch had pulled off the dramatic comeback to retain his title.



Taylor was just fourteen seconds away from his second world championship. In most cases a fighter might complain about a fight being stopped due to the fight being so close to being over. Taylor however, made no such statements displaying nothing but class in defeat. Froch for his part also displayed class by saying that Taylor deserved a rematch.



Fourteen seconds! Not quite as bad as another Taylor, “Meldrick Taylor” in his 1990 loss to Julio Cesar Chavez. Chavez knocked Meldrick Taylor out who was a clear winner on all scorecards with only “Two seconds” left in the fight. Nevertheless fourteen seconds from a championship! It’s “Exasperating”



So what’s next for Taylor? Should he seek an immediate rematch with Froch? I don’t believe so…



I would expect Taylor to train hard for what would be considered a tune up bout. This fight should be made with a proven “Long distance, solid chin” fighter that is not considered easy to knock out. Taylor should adapt a new mindset that sticks with the jab and counterpunching style along with eluding the straight right hand attack. A little more work on stamina couldn’t hurt either.



Let’s face it, Taylor is still a top Super-Middleweight and to many in the boxing world possibly the best. The burden of proof to those that may be disillusioned lies with Taylor.



As a writer, sworn to be true, I deal in facts… To me the fact is, “For right now Jermain Taylor is the best Super-Middleweight in boxing.” “IN SIX Rounds.”



And That’s The Boxing Truth.

© Copyright 2010 Beau Denison (beaudenison at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722970-THE-BOXING-TRUTH-Can-Taylor-bounce-back