*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1724061-Isis
by Kitty
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1724061
Isis and her husband see each other for the last time before he's murdered by his brother.
         Isis wandered over to her balcony and let the hot Egyptian sun caress her tan face. Dainty hands rested on the rails, the sensation of small bumps and crevices running along her fingertips. Small dots of people walked about down in the market, and she sighed a sigh of resignation. They worshipped her as their goddess, and it was hard.
         The sound of Horus crying brought her back to reality. Whites skirt spinning, she briskly walked to her baby, each foot falling with grace. She got to the crib, and she picked him up, his naked body glistening with sweat. As she gently rocked him, she shushed, urging him to quiet. Eventually he calmed down, grasping at her chest.
         Slick movements and a second later, she was seated on the bed, lifting her sari and allowing her son to drink from her bare breasts. She supported his head with her hand as he suckled happily, giving a satisfied burp, and then closing his eyes. Isis lowered the sari over her chest once more and laid her child down to sleep. She stood next to his small bed, watching him with a slight smile on her face.
         Osiris crept up behind her and slid his arms around her waist. He nuzzled her neck and joined her in watching their baby sleep.
         “Osiris,” she said, her voice low. “Why is it we are considered royalty? We are normal people, just like they are.” Isis swept her hand out, indicating the town below. “We are not gods. We cannot perform miracles.”
         Osiris frowned and rested his chin on the top of her head. “Isis, my dear. We are gods. You brought me back to life, no? We created this child, no?” He pointed to the sleeping boy, his little chest rising and falling slowly. “We do perform miracles, miracles that no human being has ever been able to do. I do not know why you cannot accept this.”
         Isis bit her tongue. She knew better than to argue with her husband. He may love her, but he wasn’t going to allow her to be so contrary. Osiris gave her a peck on the cheek and left to attend to his duties. Of course, he couldn’t be remiss in his godly duties.
         Although it was above 100 degrees outside, a shiver slid down her spine. She felt like something odd was going to happen. A sense of déjà vu washed over. Isis shook her head and called to her girl servant. “Amunet!” The girl rushed to her, her body bare except for a think gold, pleated collar and small loincloth. “Watch Horus. I have a bad feeling.” Before Amunet could inquire as to what, Isis was gone.
         Bare feet padded hard against the floor, and she ran into Seth, Osiris’ brother. A twisted grin grew on his face when he saw her. “Greetings, Goddess Isis,” his body bent low at the waist as he bowed. “May I ask why you were in such a hurry?”
         Fury replaced worry. “You know why, Seth. You know exactly why! Where is my husband?”
         Seth put on his most innocent face. “I have no idea, your majesty. Maybe he went on to complete his duties for today?” He shrugged as if it were nothing. He smiled again. “I know if I were my brother, I would not be so careless in those duties of mine.” Winking, he walked off, leaving Isis shaking with rage. Her tan face transformed into a reddish color and furious tears fell from her face.
         The way she knew Seth, he had done something. More than something, he killed Osiris again. Isis had a gut feeling that that was exactly what had happened. Why else would he have been making that human-sized box for days? Isis wrenched the door open and ran towards the narrow river that flowed behind her palace. The box she had seen Seth make was but a dot on the water. Fear made her muscles freeze, and terror ripped through her.
         “What did you do?!” she screamed. Birds that had rested in the palm trees had scurried off at her voice. Tears ran down her face, streaking the kohl she had applied that morning to her eyes. Her feet began to move, legs pumping as fast as they could through the water. No matter how fast she went, however, it would take a long time before she would get to her husband’s body...
© Copyright 2010 Kitty (kittynoa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1724061-Isis