*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1724399-Reading-then-Dreaming
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fanfiction · #1724399
Abella is a reader. But could her life just be a dream?
                Abella sat in the wagon behind the Balitang Women as it clattered down the cobblestone streets. She thought about her life and thought about her life as a servant to the Balitang Women and had to admit that life couldn’t get any more exciting than it already was. She was glad to be a part of the most important household in the city, (at least according to the Raka). She thought about her duty to pass along the gossip to the city dwellers. It was dangerous, but fulfilling. Besides, by the time it reached the ears of the King and Queen it’d changed ears so often that she didn’t have to worry about being caught. Aly was a really good Spymaster. She’d never heard of anyone better than her, except maybe The Whisper Man. He was the Spymaster of Tortall, and really good. She’d met him once when she was fourteen or so. She thought on Aly and The Whisper Man’s similarities. Aly looked almost exactly like him, and even did many of the same things. Her eyes widened as she contemplated this. Aly must be his daughter! That’s why he told me to watch her! She gasped and ignored the other servants and slaves in the wagon with her. She thought about it and the more it made sense. She decided she should watch Aly more closely. The Whisper Man would definitely have her killed if anything happened to Aly.
         “Very good, Abella,” a voice said from above her. She smiled and started to do the customary bow, but heard him say, “Don’t bow, only you can hear me, and I don’t want everyone to bow at once please. Especially at such an important time. You might want to get out of the wagon and take out your dagger. There’s going to be some fighting and you know you promised her father you would protect her.”
         You’re right of course, she thought.
         “Aren’t I always?”
         Of course. You’re the Trickster God.
         “That’s right and you might want to follow my advice. Now!”
         She stood up, jumping out of the wagon. She grabbed her dagger and heard Aly shout “Down!” She ran into the circle surrounding the Balitang Women and watched as Aly got in the stirrup of Dove’s horse and stood up. She watched as Aly pointed toward her and yelled “There!” She turned around and saw a woman wearing civilian clothes and holding a dagger in her hand.
         She got in a stance, ready to fight off this assassin. Just as she prepared to fight, the civilians started to throw pots and dishes at the soldiers yelling “They’re trying to kill our hope!” She panicked as she realized that they were going to create a huge brawl. She hid her panic behind a mask of calm acceptance. As she feinted to the left and plunged her dagger toward the woman someone grabbed her from behind. She turned and stared horror struck. Oh no no no no!!!  I can’t die like this! I need to protect Aly! I’m her only hope! She turned around and into the crowd, darting between, around, over, and under the people in the crowd, men, women, and children alike. She ran down an alley.
         As she came to the end of the alley she looked around frantically. Where oh where is the door when you need it? She thought as she frantically looked for it. Finally she spotted it! She turned to see where her assailant was. Too late! She wailed. She crouched down and closed her eyes trying to commit to her mind the fact that she was going to die. My life is over! All my family is going to wonder where I am! I can’t believe I decided to run away! Why oh why did I decide to run away?
*          *          *          *

         She opened her eyes, wondering if she was already dead. When she opened her eyes she looked around her room and sighed in relief as she realized she’d just fallen asleep reading Trickster’s Queen again. Tamora Pierce is such a good writer! She actually had me going there! She picked up the book which had fallen on the floor in all her thrashing. She placed it on her nightstand and walked over to her bedroom door opening it. I’m really hungry. What time is it? She looked at the alarm clock and saw that it was 5:00 AM. She’d missed dinner again! Oh boy was she in trouble now! She stared in horror and suddenly wished she was back in her nightmare looking into the eyes of a killer once more. It would be less painful than her life for the next hundred years!
© Copyright 2010 C. Wolfe (druidess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1724399-Reading-then-Dreaming