*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725163-who-the-hell-am-I
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Opinion · #1725163
This is an opinion!
*skinny jeans that fit (almost) too tightly—check

*black-rimmed UV protective glasses that don’t help/hurt my eyesight, but instead are only for style—check

*knitted cap, to be worn during all seasons—check

ask me a year ago, and none of the above articles of clothing would be found in my closet. it’s so odd to me how much i seem to change every year, and looking back on things i can only ask myself why this is.

i don’t feel like i’m ever-changing because i want to impress/fit in with those around me. if this were the case, i might still be wearing hollister t-shirts and nike high tops. it seems to me like every teenager (and if this is the case, then everyone ever) is destined to go through phases in which their ideas on style and what they believe in vary from those of the past. i would very much like to believe that the phases i’ve gone through have reflected my own personality and not just that of the people are around me, but looking back on my middle school/early high school days, i feel like i was never much of an individual. i feel like it has taken until now, just months before i graduate high school for good, for me to find my own voice instead of just mimic-ing my peers around me, and although this feels liberating, it is sad (see: depressing) that it has taken so long (see: far too long).

i may never really know if what i’m going through now is, in fact, the process of growing up, but if this is the case, i may very well be growing up to be…..wait for it…..a hipster.

and i mean, i guess that isn’t so bad, so long as i don’t ever find my picture on latfh.com.

that would be embarrassing.
© Copyright 2010 Jacob DeSmit (jacobdesmit1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725163-who-the-hell-am-I