*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725430-Cold-Gray-Interstate
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #1725430
This is a short story about a man that must see an accident along the interstate.
The highway seemed colder today. Not due to any changes in temperature. It was still a warm 40 degrees farenheit but it was something in the air. The clouds were this very dull gray that I found quite overbearing. Everything was darker and slower than usual at 5:30 in the morning. All colors seemed to be completely lifeless. The only color that I saw was grays and grays and grays, and the traffic dragged on and on and on.
After sometime in this four laned traffic the sky opened, and down poured the rain. On it came, slowly descending to the earth in a way almost as dreary as the day. The windshield became overwhelmed with the moisture as I flipped on the wipers, that began to chase the huge droplets of rain off of my windshield.
Just as the traffic started to gradual easing, so the rain let up. Not completely, but I could now see clearly without the aid of the metronomic windshield wipers. I could also see the spinning lights of an emergency vehicle off in the distance. Yet there was still no color, only grays and brake lights. Something had to be wrong. The traffic just seemed to be so vast, so endless and the emergency vehicle off in the distance just validated all of these suspicions racing around the corners of my mind.
The closer that I got towards those flashing lights, the more apparent those emeregency reds and emergency blues seemed to become. But the gray did not fade, instead it only seemed to contrast itself deeper into scene. This is where desire was concieved. I had to know what was going on up there. I had to know who was hurt, who was safe, who was it fault, who was innocent. All these thoughts and no conclusions, no answers. What is a man to do?
The cars slugged along as the leaves ran across the highways as a headache set in. The pangs and pains advanced from the front of my head into the back. I have never met death or stared the end in the face, but I could swear that death's countenance much resembles the perpetual traffic that bombards an interstate on an early Monday morning in the middle of November where the fools collide and the cars wrap around an alien object that robs the life right from the heart of man. Oh how badly I wished that this traffic would dissipate, yet I kept thinking "This too, shall pass." And pass it did, as the traffic began to move right back into the lane of this accident under the discretion of the state trooper. I inched the car along, hugging the median, so that I might get a gaze as to what was going on past the state trooper's car. This is the moment where desire and apprehension were birthed. And what I saw moved me so that the only thing that I could think to do was pull the car over and try my best to catch a second look.
The median nicely welcomed my little car, as I pulled slowly into it. Swinging the door open, I exited the car, shut the door behind me, and turned back across the street to gaze at the focus of my desire. At first, all that I could see was this torn and mangled body lieing in a pool of blood, wet still because of the rains, further advancing my headache, and further sucking the color from everything; I paced around to the right side of the car, looking across the highway at that broken and bleeding body, my body. Wearing my clothes, my haircut, my bleeding face all smothered against that cold pavement. I could feel the cold, wet blood on my face, the chill of the pavement rattling in my bones, shaking me to the core. The shock from it all brought me lower to the ground. I cried for the state trooper's assistance, but he didn't hear my screaming. My hand sought for the sturdiness of the car, yet I couldn't find it. I turned, only to discover that this car that I pulled into the median was nowhere in sight. My focus traveled back across the street to the dead body. I just stood there shocked for what seemed like an eternity staring at what appeared to be my own person lying there on the street, cold and lifeless. Everything was numb. My hands, my feet, those mangeled legs and twisted arms all possesed no feeling. Emptiness just seeped through my whole body as the blood drained out of the corpse and onto the cold, cold highway.
© Copyright 2010 Background (this1goesout2u at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725430-Cold-Gray-Interstate