*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725844-midnight-malice-chapter-three
by jess
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Thriller/Suspense · #1725844
the things we desire most may not be as great as we previously anticipated them to be...
{Chapter Three}







    JAY WAS TORN.
    The logical side of her sided with Ty’s thoughtful notion.
    However her heart and overall being screamed that nothing was out of the ordinary.
    She was in denial.
    Which proved to be a deadly stance, once you let your guard down you were susceptible to whatever surprises life granted you with. She read enough thrillers to understand that concept. And oh hell there was more to it then that, she had allowed her guard to dissipate a little, and where had she wound up? Sitting on Ty’s couch sipping a beer, practically nestled in his lap, trying to figure out the mess they had recently been thrown into without an invite, or warning. Her life was a train quickly veering from its usual tracks, and into unknown dangers lying ahead.
    “You seem tense,” Ty interjected, concern washing over his face and voice. 
    Ohh aren’t you a god damned rocket scientist.
    “Well what do we got?” Her words were dripping with more then its fair share of venom. She took a long sip of the beer, secretly wishing it was stronger.
    “Well…nothing. Yet.”
    “Exactly.” She got up from her place on the couch, padded over to the kitchen and grabbed another beer.
    “Got anything stronger Reynolds?”
    “Not unless you plan on spending the night.” She groaned
    “Oh c’mon! You’re no fun.”
    “Ohh darling why don’t you come over here and see for yourself,” he flashed her sexy grin that showed he knew exactly what it did to her. He patted his lap gently, an invitation to come sit. And, reluctantly, or so she told herself, she did just that. He wrapped his arms around her waist, in a protective loving hold. She knew then that whatever this madman concocted, she could withstand it all with Ty by her side, protecting her from it all. For a fleeting instance she was the fearless women she prided herself on being, afraid of nothing and no one. She was just a women, in her lover’s embrace, careless and without a single worry upon her shoulders. She was able to turn her mind away from the emotional turmoil, stress, and dread, and think of nothing more then Ty and the happiness he had created for her.
    For an instance she was happy, but her mind was incapable of venturing any farther then Danny, and the constant reminder that there was evil in the world. This evil had a name, one she couldn’t quite place at the moment, one she was adamant on discovering since others were too ignorant to. This evil’s identity would be unveiled sooner or later, she just wasn’t sure how yet. Her mind was once again overruled by her need for vengeance; her whole being was fueled and powered by that vengeful rage. Ty was the only known cure for her aliment, with his sexy southern drawl and his devilish good looks he tended to preoccupy her mind, and ease her anger a bit. For as much as she adored Dell, she did nothing to alleviate her sadness and anger, if possible she only amplified it. Coop as well, especially the little boy who was sired by a nonexistent father, if only things had turned out differently that would not have been the case. If only things had turned out differently, a helluva lot would be different.
    In a way he is, but your brother’s very much alive, Jay. Chase’s promising words reverberated in her mind. She was washed over with a sense of déjà vu when for the countless time that day she wondered what Chase’s words had even meant. He had spoken in code, which led her to believe his visit wasn’t consensual with everyone. She was just glad he had disobeyed whoever it was he had too, to give her the message she had only ever dreamt of. She considered Chase a godsend, an answer to her nightly prayers. She decided a proper thank you to the Lord himself would be in order, but not in front of Ty, he’d find her unmistakable thirst for the prayer a little eccentric. Ty too was a religious man, but his prayers were short, simple, much unlike Jay’s long discussions with the Lord himself. Of course the greatest predicament with her praying, insecurities set aside, was the matter of Chase’s news. Ty couldn’t know, no one could, so for now she’d contain her inner happiness, away from the curious eye. If Chase had been walking on egg shells telling her the things he had, then she didn’t see it fit that she share the information with the world.
    But oh how she wanted to tell him! It was eating at her, gnawing at her, screaming to be told.
    To be shared.
    She trusted Ty…
    Chase hadn’t discouraged her from reporting the joyful news. He hadn’t said a word along the lines of such, but Jay was smart. She could sense his unease in informing her of her brother’s current state of living.           
    And the demise he had somehow escaped.
    Danny was alive, what if he was orchestrating this intricate game? Surely he wouldn’t endanger Jay, and so far this puppet master hadn’t, but Ty? They were buddies back in the old day, the equivalent of hip sisters in the girl department. Of course he wasn’t putting either of their lives in danger, but frightening them wasn’t as subtle as he may have believed. And especially in Jay’s current state of panic and unease, adding to the dangerous mix wasn’t exactly thoughtful of her brother. It hadn’t sounded like the young man she often reminisced about, but he also had a few years packed in since she last saw him, and with time often comes change.
    With careful contemplation and calculation she negotiated the matter at hand. It wasn’t a snap decision and with every word she felt she was betraying Chase, and in the end her brother as well. She opened her mouth, closed it, then re-opened it, gaining the courage necessary. “I met a guy the other day, and he told me something. Something you may not believe, something I’m having trouble believing myself.”
    Bewilderment clouded his face, as well as a look of defeat, as if he suspected the news to be bad. She wanted more than ever to assure him the news wasn’t bad, in fact it had to be the greatest news she had received to this date, but something stopped her from doing so, from continuing on.
    A voice.
    Not her subconscious trying to reach her.
    No, a deep, masculine voice.
    A voice all too familiar.
    “Don’t tell him, Jay.”
    She shut her mouth, and tried to hide the overwhelm that had washed over her hastily like a tidal wave, but of course her awe was conveyed, all too clear.
    “Jesus Jay you look like you saw a damned ghost! What is it?”
    No, just heard one.
    This was the proof she needed to solidify Chase’s words, so why didn’t it sit well in her stomach and marrow? She suspected it was the slight hint of malice in his voice when he sent her the telepathic message, or the protectiveness that had taken on a sinister meaning.
    She fought the urge to spill her suspicions and the messages her estranged brother, whom they had deduced as dead, was sending her lately. But when she opened her mouth, the words gathered in her throat where they lingered, yet to be spilled. It was impossible to communicate, made only by Danny’s strong, unrelenting tethers to her soul, being, and her newly gained freedom. She knew then, at that precise moment, that Danny had transformed into something otherworldly, something even the most imaginative of minds couldn’t concoct.






    Daniel McEvans held the psychic restraints with all he had. The power had the potential to end in disaster, already it was a draining chore, and the hunger he had fought for the better part of his life was intensifying every second he held the strong, impenetrable mental restrain. On his sister nonetheless. His own blood for christ’s sake, someone he had hoped would never succumb to the evil riding within him. He had withheld communication with his family immediately after the incident had befallen him, in fleeting hope that they shall never have to witness the monster he truly was. And the hellish power that came with such unwanted duty. 
    He considered what Jay would think of him, but with a shrug he brushed the feeling off, her opinion no longer mattered. She wouldn’t have wanted him as he was, an unwholesome, ungodly monster. And why should she want him still? He had a sufficient amount of self loathing to understand the cause of the sudden betrayal. He understood it all to well, and though it pained him, he backed her up on her stance completely.
    It was a waste of his cunning mind to even consider to lure Jay back into his life, the secret messages–the mistakes they had been–originated from the immense guilt he carried when he was forced to make the decision that had forever haunted him since. His hopes were to at least notify his family when his powers had dimmed within control and his hunger had alleviated to some extent, but what a tremendous mistake that had turned out to be. He could see from his hidden perch the tears welling in his human mother’s eyes, concealed by the thick leaves of the large oak it was clearly visible the pain he had bestowed upon her. Tissues littered the otherwise tidy side tables, and a bottle of Jack Daniels lay open and nearly empty on the cherry wood kitchen table, sitting next to a box of tissues and a pan of brownies. It was unlike her, the mess, the whiskey, and even the onrush of tears and sugar splurges. Then again she wasn’t the young, feisty mother who wore a bright toothy smile on a continual basis. And losing her son probably hadn’t helped matters much.
    But she hadn’t had she? Only in her human, rational mind she had, and yes in a very real sense she had in fact lost him. His presence, his soul and his mind were all replaced with sick desires and unruly notions. On occasion, when the hunger was to strong to fight, his fangs would come through his gums and fill his mouth, his eyes would turn a bright silver and his pupils would transfer to cat-like slits and a possessive hunger would overrun his senses and cause him to do explicit, ungodly acts. It was typical and essential for survival of his kind, but it hadn’t put him at ease the first time the temptation struck, stronger then ever.
    He recalled with remarkable clarity, years ago, the lanky male with his jet black hair and his ill fitting clothes, with a fat cigarette glowing in his long, bony fingers. He had been incoherent and unsteady on his own two feet, using the petite blond standing next to him for balance; she had seemed irritated as hell, and equally as drunk as her human companion. She fell under the pressure of his hold and collapsed onto the concrete alley way, scraping her flawless legs. Small droplets of scarlet hemoglobin dripped from the substantial scrape upon her knees, and onto the straps of her red stilettos. Almost immediately his body lurched him forward, towards the couple, oblivious of the monsters hiding in the corners, and giggling over the women’s recent fall. The man dropped the cigarette and reached for the women’s bloody palm.
    Two steps.
    Five steps.
    More blood dribbled down her sleek legs, his mouth had watered, and his fangs extended some more, filling his mouth and disabling his speech. Blood speckled his pink tongue from the places the fangs had poked. He swallowed down the blood filling his mouth, and stalked forward, silently, stealthily. Though he was sure his attempt at seeming sly and quiet was unnecessary, their sense of awareness had been thrown out the window the first few drinks. At the first sight of him, the women perked up, a flirty smile creeping over her face. “Well hello there Mr. Tall dark and sexy,” the women’s slurred voice spoke. With one sweep of his arm, he had grabbed her and held her to him, descending his head, and the fatal spikes into her creamy neck, and her pulsing vein. The human male let out a drunken cry before scampering off down the alley and into the bustling crowd of smokers standing outside the bar he had recently retreated from, happy and senseless. But his human legs hadn’t carried him very far before Danny had pounced on his back, and bit into his vein. The sweet, irony aroma of fresh spilled blood had drawn Chase from his hiding place in the alley, and there his new found mentor had instructed him on the rules being a vampire entailed. Such things that had been denied him when he was first transformed.
    Chase had set him on the path his kind was meant to led, introducing him to an underground society of unexpected heroes, and vampires with a firm rein on their capabilities and the unforgiving powers they possessed. Prior to Chase’s kindness he hadn’t believed there were others–aside from the malicious creature that had bitten him in the first place–like him, only to find out his kind lurked all corners of the world. “Thankfully,” Chase had lectured, “majority of us know to stop drinking before the disease is able to spread.” The tall muscular male towered above him, and was easily a hundred pounds more abundant, his bronze skin glowed from recent feeding, and his green eyes showed remorse.
    “Disease?” He had asked, in complete shock at the dark reference.
    “Our kind began when a chemist created a formula further used for biological warfare, if the need ever presented itself. The formula was to make large populations sluggish and weak and to essentially starve and kill them faster then it would have previously. It had in fact made testing subjects weak, and that is solely because they had not been provided blood, and eventually the beginning of our race had died off in a matter of days at the most,” he glanced at Danny to see how the new vamp was holding up, “however three of the testing subjects managed to escape the man made hell before the hunger had taken them, and that, my man, is the story of how we came to be,” Chase offered Danny a weak smile, and Danny had somehow managed to return one as well.
    He had been full of questions and with the aid of Chase and a fellow member of the society– known as, The Sons of Night–Colton, they answered them all the best they were able. He had learned a lot that night about himself and the history of his race, as well as gathering two unexpected allies, Chase Matthews and Colton Prince, two vampires at ease and fully content with their lifestyles. Unfortunately, Danny had learned that not all of their kind was content with what they were, self mutilation was common amongst vampires, as well as it was widely available and easily accessible. Sunlight was harsh on their skin, within minutes of exposure the vampire would be in agonizing pain with the potential to be fatal as well. Human food was poison, and water was lethal, the H2O intake would simply boil in their insides and burn them from within. The list of potential fatalities was seemingly endless; however it comforted Danny to know that even though they were so susceptible to the simplest of things, they were equally as strong and bull headed, gun shot wounds proved to be fatal on the human race, stood to be only a simple bump in the road, and knife wounds had the power to heal in minutes, doubly faster with the aid of human blood. As Danny had learned from his nighttime affliction with the drunken couple only hours ago, his race has unworldly speed and endurance, heightened senses, and animal like instincts. They were the ultimate killing machines, masters of death and destruction.
    Though Chase and Colton frequently assured Danny that they were the good guys, he still hadn’t come to grips with the sinful, unholy acts he and his kind carried out on a daily basis. The only act of heroism–in his mind at least–that being a member of The Sons of Night entailed was the frequent rogue clean up of the streets. Rogues were vampires without a firm rein on their hunger, the type of creatures that drained humans of their life blood constantly, as to alleviate some of the hunger. They were a danger to society, as well as to the race itself. A rogue could accidentally expose the secret that had withstood exposure and the public eye for centuries.
    Chase had also explained that women were immune to succumbing to the disease, with one bite they’d wither in extreme pain and eventually parish, he mentioned that the cause of that was still unknown. Danny had felt immediate remorse for the pain he had put that women through, but Chase had placed a large hand on his shoulder and assured him he hadn’t known.
    They had quickly became friends, and that was precisely why Danny had trusted Chase to carry out his personal task. He had wanted to drop by himself, but decided he couldn’t handle the nostalgia and the regret. “Damn coward,” he muttered as he stared at the women who had borne him.
    Where is Jay and my father?
    The man who had sired him was yet to make an appearance, and the longer he waited to see the man’s face, the more his hopes grew thin. He hoped with every thing in him that his father hadn’t walked out, and his hope was more accurately pinned on the idea that if he had, it had nothing to do with him. His conscious had an unfortunate time jeering him about the pasts and the mistakes he had tried so hard to bury. It made living almost unbearable, mixed in with the fear that he was a monster, or he was quickly veering down that path. It was also the trivial fear that he was no longer wanted in his past life, that he was no longer a necessary attachment to the McEvans, that they had simply forgotten about him and moved on. His mother’s troublesome emotions weren’t the proof he needed, she was a fragile, docile woman, easily troubled, and it wasn’t a difficult chore to upset her sensitive balance of roller coaster emotions. He had set her off enough for petty feuds and differences to realize the simplicity of it. Knowing this did nothing to ease his mind, for whatever reason, it hadn’t mattered, his mother was upset, and still to this day that image put knots in his insides. He wanted nothing more then to wrap his arms around her frail, shaking figure and murmur in her ear that he was sorry for everything. He wanted to be that little boy again with those glacier blue eyes who clung to his mother’s jean clad legs, and held her soft palm in his small childish fingers. He wanted to be that young boy who cried in the crook of his mother’s arm when he lost a treasured toy, as she smoothed back his blonde hair. He wanted to be that young man again that kissed his mother’s cheek before he left for a date, and who asked advice on particular matters only a mother could answer.
    He wanted to be anything but the monster he was presently.
    Had it not been for the hope of someday reuniting with is family he would have ended his pathetic excuse for a life years ago. Of course rules prohibited such a thing, reuniting would only re-open wounds and introduce renewed curiosity, but his hopes remained as lively as they had when they originated in the first place.
    As he jumped from his hidden position in the oak, he promised himself
he’d reveal himself soon, regulations and The Sons of Night matters set aside, he needed his family. And by all appearances they needed him as well. He just hoped he wasn’t already too late.



Ty stared in shocked horror as Jay fought to open her mouth, but just as quick she clamped it forcefully down. An almost inhuman fear clung in her eyes, round as bowling balls, and her mind seemed to be caught in a void of some sort. “Jay! What is it?” he shouted, as he rushed to her very side. Gently, he shook her shoulders as to break the spell she was under, but nothing he did dismissed the fact that she was petrified, and literally at lost for words. All of a sudden her body shook, and her mouth opened, where her jaw lay slack in dismay. She inhaled a breath and turned to Ty, fear still overpowering her.
    She continued to gasp for air, but as she began to compose herself, understanding began to cloud her features. It was understanding all right, but it was a dark realization he could tell. All at once he longed to know the secret she was upholding, curiosity bit at him all at once. He was incapable of asking, however, Jay had an unfortunate time blocking out others when she was in distress. She was a strong minded character, she wouldn’t have accepted help had it come from the Lord himself. She’d simply bottle up the emotions she felt and preserved them for later reference, when she was alone and away from the scrutinizing glances of others. And perhaps the will to aid her in her problems intimidated her also. This method wasn’t a healthy one, and they all knew it.
    Ignoring her looks of disapproval, he took her shaking hand in his own. He brought her hand to his warm lips, and kissed it, a gentle, caring kiss that notified her he was there and ready to listen. “Jay,” he said calmly, still holding her hand, “tell me what’s on your mind. What’s wrong? If it’s because you think I wont care–”
    “I can’t tell you Ty.” He had realized something then, her hand was no longer shaking, and though her face was as white as parchment, her eyes weren’t blazing with fear any longer.
    “Because I do. I care about everything that pertains to you, Jay. I’m all ears,” he finished.
    She just shook her head. She willed herself to trust him, to believe in his testament, but that was made impossible by the self-composed iron blockade she had put up. This man made creation had its perks, but in times such as these it was impossible to tear it down, even when she desperately wished it to. She seldom migrated far from the comfort she invented for herself, risks were out of the questions, and trustees were an absurd concept. Even familiarity didn’t suffice, truth be told, her trust in her mother was beginning to wear. This being said after Dell’s tethers to her had been snapped. How was she expected to trust people after all these constant reminders that nothing lasts forever? She was sick of the repetitious nature of learning the same lesson over and over again. It was now the foundation she based her life off on, and it showed.
    He cupped her head in his hands, and kissed the smooth surface of her forehead, once that had been accomplished he proceeded to brush his fingers along her tear streaked face, in an effort to eliminate the tears all together. Even more shocking then the fact that she hadn’t pulled away was that the tears did go away. The mass in her throat, that heavy feeling, that need to cry, went away as well.
    “Jay, you mean the world to me. Trust me.”
    Could she make an exception to her prior promise? Could she at last tear down that blockade once and for all? She didn’t know, but when she looked into his eyes and saw the evident source of honesty, she hoped she could. And more then anything she was willing to attempt to do so, right then and there.
    “Danny’s…alive,” she breathed out in one hurried stream of air. No voice taunted her this time, only the silent throbbing of a growing head ach.
    He looked at her, blinked once, and opened his mouth in response. Only the carefully articulated words that flowed conscientiously out of his mouth were of nothing she’d expected, life never prepares us for the moments that have the capacity to forever alter us. Right then, hearing those words, it had proved to be no exception.
    “I believe you.”


    Jay’s eyes, so wide and piercing had been the fault in the otherwise impeccable plan. He hadn’t planned on revealing his knowledge, hell, inkling.  That small part of him that suspected a dark and disastrous truth wasn’t willing to reveal itself just yet. He wanted to gather evidence; all he had was an enlarging suspicion and circumstantial evidence, something that wouldn’t sway an audience or the truth-hungry women he had come to adore. Jay’s ideas were strictly based off practicality and logic, and sure by her latest theory it may have meant he was right. But things were changing around here, who was to say the people didn’t go along with that deal.
    “But why?”
    He had told her about the note, he had shared the mad man’s words with her, but he hadn’t told her everything the note entailed.
    He didn’t say anything, and as if his thoughts spoke to her, she spoke again. “It’s about that note isn’t it?”
    He’d allow her to salvage the perfect image she had of her brother, he suspected it was beginning to weather anyways, and he wasn’t about to play into her latest fear. She’d find the truth on her own accord, God be with her when she did…
    “It makes sense,” plausible enough, and the statement didn’t go without it’s fair share of truth. He reminded himself he wasn’t lying, omitting the truth with good intent, though, sounded just fine.  He had enough personal issues as it was, self-loathing was not about to make that list.
    One of the most notorious of those issues was the inability to not love Jay, he had no personal reserves against just being the best friend again, but he could never bring himself to simply fall out of love. He’d convince himself otherwise, he’d deny the inevitable, but at the end of the day, it was her he thought of, not the Giants game on TV, not his mother’s recent decline in health, not work, not this sleepy little town that was quickly awakening with a relentless vengeance, just her and her beautiful blue eyes that could draw you in and mark itself a permanent image in your mind, and her cascade of strawberry blond curls that framed her face beautifully. When he’d lie down at night, it’d be her laugh he’d hear, and her eyes he’d imagine. It had been that way for quite some time now, it had really began after Danny’s disappearance when all he should have had on his mind was his best friend, not the young girl, just figuring out life and all the heartbreak it could offer. He’d lay awake rewinding old memories he had shared with Danny, and almost every time, the self induced clips would include Jay. Like a movie, he’d re-wind and freeze the image, an escape of reality it had been, if only he could hold onto those memories, those smiles they each wore on their faces, and a time when there greatest worry was breaking curfew. How many sleepless nights had he sacrificed sleep only to lay awake and play back those clips and hope for a return. He hadn’t been much of a prayer before the incident, but those memory clips had made him a praying man. Each prayer had always began like this: “I hope Danny is okay, I hope he’s alive, and I hope he returns home soon” the last part was selfish of him, that much he knew, but as much as he wanted him to be okay, he equally hoped for a safe return to their friendship. But the prayer never ended like that, every prayer must end with an amen, that much he knew. So it had ended like this: “and I hope Jay smiles again. Amen.”
    He wasn’t much of a believer in God, and as much as he prayed, he was as equally doubtful of the power a simple prayer held.
    Looking at her now, so filled with hope, he knew better then to doubt the prayer.



























© Copyright 2010 jess (jschram15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725844-midnight-malice-chapter-three