*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725914-Even-the-gods-have-fun
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Comedy · #1725914
A letter from the Oracle of Delphi to Oedipus
Dear Oedipus,

I am the Oracle of Delphi, Loki, and I heard about your desire to come visit me. I have traveled a vast distance to Delphi to take the role of the oracle. I must let you know that today is my first day as a certified Oracle, but I assure you that all I tell you will be true and will come to pass. You do not need to fear that you will get an Oracle with limited knowledge, because I know all that gods have planned in your life. Though it is my first day, as I have said, I guarantee you that I am not only good at my job, but I am also the most qualified oracle that you will ever encounter. Because of my knowledge, and passion to share the knowledge that knowledge, you will not have a better Oracle than me. I encourage you to come. Your past I can declare to you, and your future will come to pass exactly as I inform you that it will.

Come visit me and I will tell you about yourself, your parents, your childhood, and your future. Things that you never knew, and things you never thought possible. As you know, we Oracles know the fate that is placed upon all men, because I commune with the gods, I can tell you what the gods have in store for your life. This is what you call fate. Your fate is mixed with adventure, unimaginable events, unexpected people, and intriguing mysteries. You can have a life filled with obscurity or you can have a life clearly known to be directed by the fate I wish to reveal to you. I wish to give you a dose of fate on your visit. I guarantee you will have the adventure, events, and mysteries that you will be fascinated with, even obsess over. Every riddle you encounter you will be able to solve. To know these things, all you have to do is come see me. Your fate will come to pass exactly as I inform you that it will.

Fate is a course of events that are inevitable. Though you may try to outrun or outsmart your planned course, I assure you it is not possible. Rather you must learn from your charted course of events the lesson that the gods are trying to teach you through your trials and triumphant moments. Fate is set in place by the gods and you cannot escape that fate. You can blind yourself to the truth or you can accept your fate. More harm than good comes from blinding yourself to the truth rather than submitting yourself to the fate of the gods. Do not think that by ignoring what you already know in your heart will create a different end than the one I will tell you. Come to me here in Delphi and I will set you on the course that the gods have planned for your life. Your fate will come to pass exactly as I inform you that it will.

It was fate that you learned of the possibility that your birth parents are not truly the father and mother you know. I know that wondering if your birth parents are those that you currently know is always aching in your mind. Do you know your parents? Does who you are reflect your parents? Are you having trouble sleeping at night in doubt about your true heritage? Are these nagging questions worth maddening yourself over? I assure you that I can answer all the questions that plague you. Your past and your future will come to pass exactly as I inform you that it will.

Your past has been prophesied by an oracle. Your father and mother did have Apollo come to them and tell them the fate of their son. That son was you, Oedipus. Your fate has been prophesied once, and I would like to let you know what that fate means for your life. I can understand your pain when it comes to your parents. Let me tell you why. Did your parents love you before Apollo visited them? Did they continue to love you afterward? If the mother and father you know are truly not your parents, then why did they call you son? What do these questions have to do with the scar through your feet? Do not let these questions plague your heart. Do not let them become your passion. Will the answer to these questions solve a great mystery? Yes, it will, and I can tell you exactly what you need to know. Your past and your future will come to pass exactly as I inform you that it will.

Now that you are grown, I know the thought of marriage enters your mind. Who will be your bride? The gods made sure love was the last things you need ever worry about. Just as Apollo prophesied to your parents, I will prophesy that same thing to you. You need not worry about love, because I will tell you exactly what to expect. You will have the love of a woman who could love you like no other. A woman you have known since birth. It will be such an unexpected love that it will blind you from many truths. Do not let yourself be blinded. Your past and your future, including the matter of love, will come to pass exactly as I inform you that it will.

I am doing all that I can to persuade you to come. We oracles are here for service to men like you, Oedipus. It is our pleasure, and certainly mine, to help you achieve all that the gods have set into motion in regards to your fate and your life. Do not lie awake at night with worry and with heartache. Do not fret about mysteries and outcomes. There is no need. I am here for you, and will remain here for you until you arrive to receive your gift of knowledge. I have this gift ready and waiting for you when you arrive in the hope that you do not question your decision in coming to see me. I assure you it is a wise decision. All that I say will come to pass exactly as I inform you that it will.

The only warning I give you is that you must not try to outrun your fate or outsmart the gods. All that I will tell you is true and will come to pass. I encourage you to come here so that you may learn who you were, who you are, and who you will be in the future. Do not turn a blind eye to the gods. I look forward to sharing all of this with you. All that I have said to you and will say to you concerning fate, your parents, and your future happiness will come to pass. Please come and find out what the gods have in store for you.

By the grace of the gods,


Loki



Sophocles (2004). Oedipus the king. In S. Lynn (Ed.), Literature: Reading and writing with critical strategies. (pp. 802-837). New York: Pierson Education, Inc.
© Copyright 2010 Jeanette (babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725914-Even-the-gods-have-fun