*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726191-Castles-In-The-Sky
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1726191
Sam's world was falling apart, and then the Lady pulled him into hers...
         "Well, Sam, I don't know what to tell you that I haven't told you before.  Your eyes aren't getting any better, in fact, they've gotten worse since you were last here."  The Dr. Watts spoke in a low tone as if the very walls had ears.  Slowly, he moved the device away from Sam's face, which was a mask of anguish.  These were not the words he wanted to hear.  "What about more surgery.  Last time I got better...." His voice trailed off as he stared expectantly at the doctor.  Dr. Watts sighed and shook his head.  "Yes, you got better but then you got worse.  Now I don't even know if surgery is an option anymore."  Sam's face bleached as he lowered his head like a man condemned to death.  After a long, thoughtful pause he said: "How long?"  The doctor's face remained unchanged.  "Two, maybe three months."  Sam was silent once more.  Dr. Watts placed an aged, frail hand upon Sam's shoulder.  "Enjoy the vision you have left.  Go outside, walk in the sun, stare at the clouds...."  He was abruptly cut short as Sam shot out of the chair.  "I can't see the clouds!"  His voice reverberated between the walls of the tiny exam room.  Dr. Watts attempted to calm him and return him to the chair.  Sam forcefully pulled himself from the doctor's grasp, swung the door open wildly and dashed from the room.  He walked frantically passed the startled receptionist and into the waiting area chairs.  He stumbled over them falling hard onto the floor.  The receptionist ran to his aid but he would have none of her.  I'm not blind yet!  I won't have anyone treat me like I'm handicapped.  He thought.  He stood slowly, helping the receptionist right the overturned chairs.  Other patients stared at him with aghast looks.  Saying nothing he made for the door and left the office. 
          
© Copyright 2010 Pendragon (blipthedwarf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726191-Castles-In-The-Sky