*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726198-The-Pregnant-Chicken
by james
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Entertainment · #1726198
An hour on the farm.
An Hour On The Farm

If you were preparing for the great financial meltdown, which would you prefer, a dozen chickens or a dozen eggs? Now, if you haven't gotten too far from your farming roots you will know that what you want is a dozen chickens.

A dozen chickens will lay approximately ten eggs a day. Why most families could survive, actually stave off starvation with ten eggs a day. Yes, a dozen chickens is what you would want.

If you have drifted from you farm roots it might be like some city folks that visited our friends farm.

They wanted to see it all. The bull, the pigs the chickens. As they made their way towards the chicken house their guide solemnly warned them of the smell. No turning back, they wanted to see real live chickens, that clucked. As they gazed lovingly at all those cute, plump chickens one seemed to stand out. She was so fat.

"That chicken is pregnant, why look how fat she is." Miss City enthused.

Farm Gal gingerly replied, "She does lay an egg a day."

"No, she has to be pregnant, Look how fat she is."

Farm Gal let her be right, after all she probably had a masters degree in something.

Now back to the last hour.

Some family knew they wanted chickens, a bunch of them. Ten girls and one boy. So the deal was made, thirty five dollars.

They arrived in their Chevy Blazer, eager to take their waking egg machines home. That is where eggs come from you know.

By the way, the best time to catch chickens is at night. Can you imagine chasing down ten girl chickens and one boy chicken in broad daylight?

Nope, at night it was as easy as pie. Picked 'em off the roost like plucking leaves from a tree, ploop, ploop, ploop. Each one in it's own personal sack.

As we deposited them in the back of the Blazer------

Do you believe in ghosts? There is a family up the road that saw a ghost. An honest to goodness ghost right in their front yard. The dog was spooked out. You have to know it's a ghost when the dog is barking at something that isn't there.

Back to the chickens.

As we deposited the chickens in the back of the Blazer those little white sacks started to walk around. Kinda spooky when it's all dark outside. "Bout wished I'd tried catching them in the daylight.

They decided they only wanted five girls and one boy.

Hope at least one of "em is pregnant.


© Copyright 2010 james (jjantzen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726198-The-Pregnant-Chicken