*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726771-Free-write-story-92010-102010-Part1
Rated: · Other · Other · #1726771
First-draft of a story involving Arghness, who also appears in "Onward, Doom."
Through the hollowed entrance to the icy crag, I see the full moon shining. This frozen ground that I lie upon glistens with the reflections of the stars and their brilliant opaque master. The air is dead, except for the distant howl of wolves. There is calmness, there is fear.

My legs were restless from anticipation, so I grabbed my leather cuirass and wool greaves and headed north, toward the howls.

Other, more reserved animals were using the snow of the area as cover, yet these wolves, these wolves used it to their advantage. White wolves, perhaps the most elusive and intelligence of their kind, were truly fearsome to me.



Why, why was I here? Was it not the journey that interested me? The relevance of these beasts was only found in that they unknowingly halt my progress. I must arrive, failure is not an option. These wolves, however many in number, do not understand. All it seems they understand at the moment is their own survival. This, we share.

Doesn't matter why. I'm here, and this is what I have to do. I think to myself about what I've left behind, and what I stand to lose. Too much. Couldn't I have detached myself more? Why tie myself down with all these people.

"Well, I wouldn't be in a situation like this if it weren't for them." I muttered bitterly.

No, I can't think that way. It's not their fault. I chose this. I want this.

My boots began to cake with ice and slush as I thudded dully along the string of my fate. The trees overhead, they surely are daunting. The starry sky, shrouded by green arms fanned in every direction. I wonder if it's cloudy.

I started. Something moved in the brush to my right. I focused my ears toward it.

"Agh!"

This is the sound of my lungs losing their air from a force of someone...something behind me. I was bowled over, on the ground now.

"Strategy", I thought to myself. They surely have bested me.

I scrambled to my feet. I cocked my head to the left and the right, spun around madly. Nothing. Still, I can't breathe. I can feel the icy tears of bewilderment stained on the corners of my eye, and the sweat welling up on my neck and back. I must get to higher ground.

I am in peril; "it" will be back.


But, I realized, perhaps these beings mean me no harm. Why else am I still alive?

Yes, I think it best to do my best to avoid them. Maybe it's just the fear talking, I can't be sure.

My breath is coming back in shunted gasps by now, but my sudden vision of my mortality had left its mark. Cold, fearful, but my human vigilance still intact as usual.

I was climbing, to where I do not yet know. Luckily, the frozen tree roots gave me something to hold onto, but all other traction was all but nonexistent. Onwards and upwards, toward what looked to me to be a faintly-glowing red light. Not of a full-on fire, but probably a lantern or such similar enclosure.

Suddenly I got the tremendous feeling that ahead lies more danger than what I had left behind. "Nonsense.." I mumbled with a reassuring laugh, as if to beat away the palpable doubt lingering in the air.

What can it hurt. Fire means warmth and security, right? But I can't help but wonder who could live so remotely in such conditions. I pondered for a few minutes more, and came to a consensus that I should at least inspect from a safe distance.

Not that anyone reads this, but I'd like to say I just freewrite this on my lunches at work. No proofreading and of course no editing on facebook. So, it is what it is.

As I crept up the rocks laced with vines and some sort of sludge. What was this sludge? Black, thick, corrupting to the purity of the snow. Why is it here?

As I touched it, my finger fizzled and crackled, my fingernail had fallen off, yet I did not feel any pain. Oh, my fingers were beyond numb by this point. I laughed quietly for a bit, mentally flogging myself for the obviously stupid action I had just taken. I should definitely watch out for this sludge in the future; at least I know this now, but couldn't I have used a stick or something...?

Up I went, until over some jagged rocks I peered onto a sort of plateau. The rock that made up the floor was markedly smooth and polished almost. I saw the flaming carapace of the lantern dangling from the top of the cave entrance. Yes, it was definitely a cave. It looked man-made somehow, like an ogre of man had chiseled away the rock over many, many years.

There was a certain warmth coming from not the lantern but the cave itself. Undoubtedly a presence. Someone, it must be a person.

Out of the cave sauntered a white wolf, suddenly. A gasp must have escaped my throat, as its head perked in my direction almost immediately. I ducked down below the hedge of jagged rocks.

Did it see me? What are the wolves doing up here? My heart was beating much too fast, but I was glad for the warmth that provided.

My curiosity got the best of my and I slowly poked my head up again. The wolf was now resting leisurely on the marbled stone floor. He was chewing on something. A stick, something...no...it's a bone. Probably of a squirrel or some other critter, yes, must be.

I had never had such an opportunity to study a wolf of this caliber before. She, yes, she's much too small and feminine to be male. But, I could not tell for certain. Her elegant white mane sprinkled with gray hairs, she had quite the veteran appearance. Almost like a matriarch, but not quite. Ah, what is that? A sort of bead collar. Magnificent. I could never kill a wolf such as this.

I had been transfixed on this wolf for many minutes, when I heard a voice coming into my left ear, "Beautiful, isn't she?"

n Horrified, my head stayed as it was, straight forward. Who is she? What does she want? Is she going to kill me? I have erred; I have failed. This is it.

"Mister, it's polite to look a woman when she's talking to you."

Slowly, I turned my neck. A girl, probably no more than 15 years. My eyes wide, still I have no made a sound.

"Come....come with me, okay?" she said.

She stood up. I slowly stood up, not taking my eyes off her. She was dressed in some sort of...well, I'm not sure what it would be. Looks like a leather overcoat, with some sort of wool dress underneath. Her hair, her hair is braided loosely, as if by a man, and somewhat unkempt. Her face, smooth. Her giant luminescent eyes were peering at me with much curiosity and wonder.

Makes sense, I doubt they get visitors out here. She hopped over the jagged rocks, and I followed suit. The wolf who had stayed quite still this entire time, to my knowledge, was now bowing obeisantly in the direction of the girl. I see.

I matched her movements, as to not alarm the wolf, though I'm not sure it made any difference. Toward the cave, we went. I saw now an old man standing not ten yards ahead. Suddenly, I wanted nothing more than to turn tail and run, but as I had feared, the wolf was now to my rear, and I'm sure of the result. I am a prisoner at worst, a guest at best. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

?"Young man, are you lost?" the old man said with a rather impatient tinge.

"Ah, well, yes and no. I am on my way to St. Petersburg, and I seem to have been sidetracked..."

"Who are you?" he said, again with the tone.

"I am Arghness, I hail from a small town of Kasimovo. I am on an urgent mission"

"You're rather short, and stocky, I would say."

"Eh."

"And, what an extravagant beard you have."

"I don't see how this matters."

"Oh, but it does."

"If you say so?

Who is this guy? Or rather, who does he think he is?

"My turn for a question. Why do you live out here, in such a bleak environment?"

"I have my reasons."

"I'm sure you do, that's why I asked."

"Oh, is that why?"

"...I can see you are not one to obey the common courtesies of conversation." I said, showing my annoyance.

"Oh, do forgive an old man for having a bit of fun. We do not get many visitors, you see, so I like to toy with them before I eat them"

I flinched.

"Hahaha, I kid again. Do calm yourself. The only one who would eat you is Jasmine, whom you watched from afar earlier. Though, never without a command, I do say. She is very obedient."

I thought the correlation between the wolves and these humans were merely coincidental, but I can see that there is much to it. I think it my best option to play whatever role these inhabitants would have me do. I'm in no position of power.

"Well then, may I see your home, good sir?" I said, sheepishly.

"Yes, you may. Irina will show you around. She is my daughter, or granddaughter, but more like a daughter." he said as he turned and walked off.

At this, I turned to the girl, Irina. She was staring at me again. Not in a creepy way, just a tad disconcerting. She was eyeing my beard, and my garments, and then my face. I'm not sure what she's looking for.

"Come, I'll show you," she said softly, as she started off down the large 'hallway' of sorts.

What was this place, I would really like to know. I'm drawn to its unnatural appearance; the secrets that it holds. These strange humans as well.

Yes, it is quite nice here. Very warm indeed. Not so much inviting, just comfortable. This structure, I guess the only way to describe it would be to say it's akin to the inside of a worm. Long, outstretched hallways splitting in difference directions. Though, I don't get the feeling that one would get lost; that all paths lead to some centric place. Reassuring.

"This way. This goes to the living room."

"Oh? I see, marvelous," I said, rather lost in thought.

"Don't you want to stay here....forever?"

"A while, perhaps, not forever."

"Hehe, I'll change your mind on that," she quipped playfully.

"Oh, and how do I suppose you'll do that?"

She looked hurt, as if I had ripped the head off of her favorite doll.

"Sorry, I don't mean to press you into it, mister," she said with an apologetic curtsy.

I didn't know what to say. Why was she so serious about something so clearly not to be taken seriously? Surely she can't be using forever as it is intended to be used.

"Pay no mind to it, let us continue," I said after a short time.

She beamed and let out a giggle, then said "Let's go!"

Off we went, farther and farther on, the only light from the torch I carried. When did I get this torch? I haven't been paying attention.

I realized that half of me wants everything to do with this place, and these people, and the other half wants nothing more than to leave and face the wolves and the cold again. I am a man, conflicted. As always.

If I cannot build a consensus, then I shall just have to wait for an event to tip the scales, I suppose. At the moment, there will be equal regret imposed in either course of action. If I leave, I'll regret what I might have missed, or might not have learned from these denizens of the deep. And if I stay, who the hell know what I might be regretting.

I followed this girl, who was not particularly effeminate, but not quite tomboyish either. She walked with a semi-loping gait, her hips not swaying quite as they should. I wonder if she had a mother. Surely she has not learnt of the world through the eyes of only her father, or grandfather, whatever he is to her.

I said to her, "where exactly are we headed?"

With a cheerful and excited smile, she responded, "down, to meet our friends!"

"Oh, and who might these friends be?"

"You'll have to meet them first, dummy!"

"I see..."

There were many more minutes of silence to be had. All the more time to think.

Who could be down here, more prisoners such as myself? Weary travelers, snatched up by the mystery of this place. Yes, this is probably so.

The one thing that has irked me to no end, is that they have not disarmed me, or even paid any mind to my weapons. I bear a small dagger, a woodcutting ax, as well as a chained weapon I had bought in secret. This was what the eastern dwellers called a 'weighted chain', but it was surely more of a mace-flail. It wasn't all too large, but it was enough to shatter a forearm on impact.

Though, they made no move to take this from me.

Voices. Voices coming from up ahead....or down ahead I should say. Raspy, hushed voices of men. They sounded as though they might be bickering.

"Uh oh, they must have gotten into it again," Irina said with a most worried look upon her face.

?/342 Frost's Fall

This is all happening 342 sunrises...since then. /

I saw two middleaged men quarreling amongst themselves in the narrow doorway up ahead. They did not seem to notice us.

Suddenly, when they finally noticed Irina, they gave a rather grave smirk, and both parted, shuffling haphazardly, moved opposite each other. There was no sound, save for the dull thud of my boots, and pitter patter of her feet.

We entered the room. Three men, sitting in highback, elegant chairs, stare at us now. (jeez, my tenses are all mixed up...)

Each of these men look as sophisticated as the next, all tonsured and wearing white garbs. These are elders, maybe? Though they do not share the veteran grizzled appearance one would come to expect of an elder.

"What do you seek?" says the first man.
"Whom do you go to?" the second.
"What here enthralls you so?" the third.

"I seek to continue my journey in peace without further respite. I go to a loved one in St. Petersburg. And lastly, surely it is the mystery of the events in these last hours that have enraptured my interest, and conflicted my sensibility," I said in as respective and assured tone I could muster.

"I see, are you innocent, pure of sin?" said the first man, with a grin.

I paused, expecting more questions to follow. None. "No, surely I have offended some law of nature, religion, or other many a time," I said, then followed with a defense, "but, what you speak of is clearly a subjective ideal, and therefore the question begets an answer no man can give without lying or extreme ignorance or naivete."

"Most certainly," he assented.

"Then why ask?"

"Are you a just man?" the second man asked, catching me offguard.

After a few moments of contemplation, I responded, "I do not live according to the concept, perhaps I am just, perhaps I am unjust, likely both. Justice and Injustice rarely exist in pure circumstances. Extremes. One such as I exists along the spectrum, and my position varies depending on many, many factors."

"One would be right to conclude so," the second man conceded.

I was figuring out the formula. I began to stare at the third man.

He asked in a monotone droll, "Love, what would you define this as?"

After a few minutes of contemplation and reflection of my life, I responded, "I do not have a definition. I can only say that I do love, and I have been loved. I would dare say that I possess both a love for and the love of another concurrently.

"If you seek for me to explain to you 'Love', then you have questioned the wrong man. And I am as sure of my failure to answer this question, as I have been about anything, so be it as it is."

The third man responded, "So it is. You have been mistaking this as a trial, with only one true answer. There are many answers, perhaps even infinitely so. Do not be ashamed for not having answers to questions such as these."

The first man start in again, "It is courageous for you to defend your beliefs and convictions as you have, unwaveringly, though I am not convinced without a doubt of your honesty, but that is a matter for another time.

"Let us eat, drink, and rest, for the night has been upon us for hours. In the morning, we will, out of courtesy, answer an equal number of questions as we have asked you here, and in just as great a detail."

Irina then tugged at my arm and was now dragging me toward a small room juxtapose the previous. There was a stone bed with some beddings strewn atop. I was incredibly tired.

I laid upon the bed, and fell into a dream.

I awoke to the smell of burning, something burning. Smoke, all I see is smoke. I stood up, and I began, nonsensically, to search for Irina. She might still be sleeping, I need to save her, or at least know that she escaped. I hadn't the time to think of what might've been the source of the flames.

All I saw was shades, dark shades of gray. Yellow, orange, red, the purple epicenter. Flames, everywhere.

"Irinia!!!" I yelled many times frantically.

My lungs were filling with this dense fog of smoke. I had been running, the way I think I came, I can't be sure.

The smoke is lessening, I must be near an outlet of sorts. I followed the reduction of density in the air.

"Light.....Light!" I yelled as I saw an opening ahead, one unlike any I'd seen elsewhere here. It looked rather like a crevice, than a hole. Something I could squeeze out of, and surely Irina too. I wonder where she is.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't disarm or disrobe before I slept!

The cold! I was outside now. The snow, the trees, the wind. It would have taken my breath away, had I any to spare. Flat out running through smoke had taken its toll. I was now on the snow, gasping for air. My head was cloudy. No, I can't black out now...not when I've just reached freedom.

I awoke, and the events came flooding back with the unpleasantness of a complimentary headache. I lay not where I fell, though. This I realized nigh immediately. I was under what appears to be an overhang. The ground was bare, dirt and weeds. There were recognizable scarring upon the earth as though hands or claws physically removed the snow from its nature-ordained position.

"You're awake, mister!"

"Irina!" I yelled gleefully as I turned toward her voice, "you escaped!"

"hehe, indeed I did."

We were both smiling, and from what I can infer, glad to have each other's company.

"So I'm coming with you," she spouted randomly with a sheepish grin.

"Don't you live here? What about your grandfather?"

"He's dead. And I never liked it here," she said with a sorrowful demeanor.

I didn't want to press the issue, but I felt it better to get it out in the open, so that perhaps the recoverly process could begin sooner rather than later.

As I put my arm around her in consolation, I whispered with a meloncholic tinge, "I'm sorry, was it the fire that got him?"

"No, I did." she blurted with that same goofy grin.

Maybe I misheard, though my body had tensed all the same. Yes, I must have misheard.

"He was old anyways. So mister, where are we going? I'm hungry!"

"....uh....like I said, to St. Petersburg, and aren't you capable of finding food for yourself?"

"sorry mister, but you're the man, an' you gotta go hunt fur me."

With a disapproving glance, and a sigh, I finally assented. She's only a kid still, right? Though I get the feeling my eyes deceive me. Never the mind, off I go, to forage for food. I am pretty hungry....

I just realized, I have no idea where I am. Map and Compass aren't exactly helpful right now, either. Well, at least I know which direction I should probably head. West. At least until I come to some sort of landmark that can tell me where the hell I am!

But for now, I will head south of the camp and attempt to catch something to eat. So many trees. They're so beautiful, though, with all the snow on them. In a way, I'd rather be on a plain right now, not sure why.

Growling. From behind. I spun around quickly to see a ferocious, definitely male, wolf. He does not look like he's playing around. This time, at least, I have a chance to draw my weapon. Which to use?

With all these trees, I doubt the mace-flail will be more a hindrance than help. The dagger will have to do. And if that fails, then I shall have to use my bare hands.

My peripheral vision caught sight of another wolf. I made a quick glance toward it, as to not show a blind eye to my current foe.

It was the wolf was from back at the cave! The female wolf, did she have a name? If so, I don't remember it. She shot a glance at the male wolf, and the growling ceased. Soon after, they retreated.

Alright, now I'm really not sure what to think.

Okay! Whatever! Back to finding food!

I returned to camp probably thirty minutes later. I had a squirrel and rabbit in hand. These should do, maybe. Or at least for a short while. I'm not exactly trained in this. Not to mention I had to resort to basically mashing these creatures with the aforementioned blunt weapon. They will have to do.

To my surprise, a fire was already started. Irina was sitting blissfully, warming her hands, crouched a safe distance from the flames. Thanks to the overhand, there was not much wind to hush the blaze.

I proceeded to drop my elements of victory onto the ground in front of the fire. Irina began to laugh heartily.

She immediately followed with an apology. She knew I had tried.

I set up a sort of twig-contraption to allow us to roast the poor creatures. Though it seemed there were two squirrels, and two rabbits, or was I imagining things? I don't remember catching this many. But, they are all mangled in a similar matter. Oh well, pointless conjecture. More food is more food!

Based upon the position of the sun, I'd have to say it's more or less eighteen hundred hours. Not quite time enough to do any significant travel before dark, as it is what they had used to call "fall". The hours of light are less than I would like.

So, I suppose it is best we remain here, at least for tonight. Maybe we can go back to the cave, at least for safer shelter.

"Which way is it back to the cave?"

"Oh, I dunno, mister," she said with a sort of indifferent stare.

"You brought me here, you must know."

"So what, be glad yur still livin is what my gramps'd say."

"Yes, I suppose so, so long as you're okay with staying here for the night," I said, hoping to change her mind.

"No, but yull protect me mister. Yull stand guard tonight, okay?"

This girl has some nerve. First, I go and get her something to eat, now I have to be her protector at night! Bah!

I got up and went off to clear my head. There's still an hour yet till dusk, and the sunset is marvelous. Might as well enjoy myself, even with these conditions.

As I stared off at the setting sun, I couldn't help but be brought back to the reality of my mission. They're waiting. I am doing my best, but it seems I underestimated the journey, and I'm sure there's likely to be more resistance to be had up ahead.

Many minutes passed, and it was now nearly night. I headed back to the camp. She was asleep already. Really? What exactly had she done all day?! Nevertheless, I better fulfill my duty. It's not really like I can say no, can I?

"No, I'd rather let you get eaten by wolves or bears, while I doze, okay?" I mused to myself.

I had a long night ahead of me. I had better keep myself entertained, can't have me falling asleep on the job. I grabbed a stick, and began drawing in the dirt. A fish, a bird. A person. A sky, a ground. Flames, eternal, undying flames, scorching fish, bird, and person alike. The sky was flames.

I angrily used my hand to dishevel the dirt I had just drawn upon. Perhaps I should think of more enjoyable things...

?/ 344 Frost's Fall. Almost a year, I suppose. I've made a new companion, it seems. /

The sun had finally begun to rise. Irina had slept as if dead. One would not be able to tell the difference. She lay there, limp and lifeless, her face not peaceful, but expressionless. Earlier in the night, this had disturbed me. Still creepy now, but not quite so much.

Now that the major danger had passed, I could feel myself slipping into a bit of a...

---

...a loud sound. I was startled. I looked up. I had fallen asleep. For how long? Irina had clapped her hands near my eyes.

"....what time is it?" I asked, as if it were the old days.

"Time for us to get moving!!" she yelled.

She has no consideration for the recently awakened.

I stood up, began to inspect my things, and made ready for setting out.

The fire had been long extinguished, though a few embers still remain. Or is that just the sunlight reflecting off the rocks? Even so, I stamped it out, and began to cover it with dirt.

People, or animals, could track us easily, I bet. We're two clumsy, lost individuals. I shook my head in dismay.

When we were both ready, we began our trek. It must be no more than 10 degrees celcius, even with the sun moderately high. We must make good use of the sunlight, and hopefully we will find more suitable shelter tonight.

We climbed boughs, traversed ravines, delved into valleys, and sometimes after noon, we came across tracks. They looked to be those of a wagon, or carriage. This is most certainly good news!

"We shall follow these, and hopefully it leads to some sort of civilization, maybe even a warm bed!"

"Dont get yur hopes up, mister. I seen tracks like this before, could be sum'in else y'know?"

"Please try not be such a downer..."

"I cant help it if yur gonna be hopin and dreamin like a fool so much!"

"Better to hope and get nothing, than to despair."

"Seems like yur just runnin from what you really think, eh?"

"Enough, let us keep going. Idle chatter gets us nowhere."

She said something like "whatever." I wasn't really paying attention. She's so damn belligerent.



© Copyright 2010 sodamonster (sodamonster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726771-Free-write-story-92010-102010-Part1