*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726999-Scholarship-Essay
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1726999
This content is about my outstanding achievement in school. Please read and advice.
“That’s the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key “(Elizabeth Wurtzel). At age sixteen, depression bit me like a venomous snake. I remember sitting in the black desk classroom, listening to the lessons that was taught. I sat there and understood what was being taught, but I had a problem retaining important pieces of information.
An air of fatigue would wrap around my mind daily, because I would stay up till two in the morning trying to finish my homework. I became confused and bewildered of the tough classwork that I had. When I took the major tests and quizzes they weighed out to be failures in the silver weight scale. When I got my first monstrous, scarlet F on one of my chapter tests, I became pessimistic. I went to tutoring and stayed in the mornings and afterschool, but that still did not help. With each F that I got, it felt like a profound black cloud of uselessness, loss, and anguish that consumed me.
It took courage which is the inevitable to overcome this disease. I had to push past my fears and failures, and live the exact definition of bravery. At first I still did not believe that I had depression because I was happy in heart, but my chemicals in my mind were out of wack. My medication and monthly counseling helped me a lot. My medication helped me get the chemicals in my brain back to normal. Then my Nurse Practioner would also help me by asking me questions about how I was doing each month. It took a lot of prayer and faith to overcome this disease.
When I was on medication, it helped me tremendously. It helped me to focus and concentrate better. It also helped me to retain pieces of important information. When I had summer school, I made all A’s for the first time of my high school year! In my twelfth grade year I am making A’s and B’s, and my GPA has went up point two points.
In conclusion, depression was like an obstacle that I had to overcome in my social life as well as academically. I made improvements in my grades. I also was able to socialize like play sports with the family, talk to my friends, and live my life. Academically, I was able to learn well. I was also able to achieve success in my school.


© Copyright 2010 MonaLisa (story101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726999-Scholarship-Essay