*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1728320-Dead-Rabbit
by kenny
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Death · #1728320
About a boy who finds a dead rabbit in his backyard; he throws an impromptu funeral.
Dead Rabbit
int. a kitchen

Camera follows a teenager into his kitchen. The weather is mildly cold outside, so the boy is puts on; a hat, gloves and a scarf.

EXT. the deck in the backyard

The teen pulls out from the inside of his coat pocket a pack of cigarettes. He opens the box and takes one cigarette out. Puts it in his mouth and lights it. He takes a few puffs on the deck, then walks down the steps. He stands on his patio, taking a few more puffs. He then turns the corner of his deck. The camera then has a shot of a dead rabbit on the ground; no marks just dead as if he was untouched. Camera focus on the teen; his reaction, a soft touch in his face of mystery and intrigue on what happened. Next thing thing the teen does is pull his phone. Camera focuses on the screen of the phone; the phone show that the teen is sending a mass text saying "impromptu funeral, my house, mourners welcome", the text get sent.

INT. inside the teen's house

A montage of the teen preparing for the funeral; we see him writing a speech, digging candles out of cabinet, making a makeshift tombstone out of cardboard... etc. During the montage the phone screen comes to the focus of the camera; texts reading "for sure", "be there", "no doubt"

INT. the teen's room

We see the teen putting on a suit looking at himself in the mirror with a piece of paper in his hand as if he was just practicing what to say.

EXT. the backyard

The teen awaits for the funeral attenders to arrive, each one around his age, and each one dressed for a funeral.

teen 1

(To the first arriver)

Thank you for coming

teen female 1

I would never miss this and after all this is what friends are for, to be there in times of grief.

The teen nods his head in solace. The second attendee arrives.

teen guy 1

(shakes the teen's hand)

Very sorry for your lose.

TEEN 1

Thank you.

The crowd which has become larger to a total of five including the teen, has moved further back into the yard. The crowd is standing around a small grave. Three males and two females, one female is wearing a black vale over her face.

TEEN 1

(In a very serious tone)

Let's begin... the eternal question that everyone asks themselves, the question that keeps people up at night thinking about it... What is it like to be a rabbit. A question only a rabbit before us would be able to answer. As humans we struggle not to envy the rabbit but to be grateful that their cuteness and furry demeanor has been been put on this earth for us to be in awe of. Through the ways they hop and their quickness we learn the meaning of purpose. Through the way they mate with such a ferocious manner we learn that life is short so take advantage of the time we are given.

teen female 2

Amen

teen 1

Thank you, we know where your priorities are.

teen guy 2

Yea in between her legs.

teen 1

Please, this day is not about sexual promiscuity, prowess, and pride.

teen guy 3

I would like to read a poem I prepared.

teen 1

I'm sure the rabbit would love to hear it, after all I heard peter rabbit was a big fan of Shakespeare.

teen guy 3

"Bunny bunny bunny, you are so funny funny funny"... that's it.

TEEN FEMALE 1

That was lovely, I'm sure the rabbit would have loved it.

Teen Guy 3 puts his head down and begins to sob, Teen Female 2 begins to console him by putting his head on her shoulder.

TEEN GUY 2

Look even at a funeral let alone a funeral for a rabbit she can't control her urges.

TEEN 1

She has the the libido spirit of a true rabbit inside of you.

TEEN guy 2

Soon enough that won't be the only that won't be the only thing inside of her.

Teen 1 then pulls out five candles out of his pocket, he begins to pass them around.

TEEN 1

Let us now take moment of silence for our fallen gift from god.

They group passes around a lighter to light their candle. They stand there in a moment of silence.

TEEN 1

It is time.

Teen Guy 1 brings a shovel and begins to shovel dirt into the grave.

TEEN 1

And as always the earth, which provides us with life, earth that provides the green grass for rabbits to frolic, the cabbage for their meals, and ditches to protect their young, we bury thee rabbit into the ground, not to be forgotten, no, but to be reborned. Now let us go inside, I have prepared a feast in honor of the rabbits.

INT. the dining room

The dining room table is filled with candles and has an plentiful food. Candles and classical music playing.

TEEN 1

We have on the menu; roasted cabbage, steamed cabbage, raw cabbage, salted cabbage, cabbage a la mode, and for the main course we have my own special recipe southern fried rabbit.

TEEN FEMALE 1

Sounds delicious.

The crowd begins to to dig in.
© Copyright 2010 kenny (roikenny at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1728320-Dead-Rabbit