*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729132-The-Grass-shall-be-Greener
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Philosophy · #1729132
The beginning chapter of a short novel styled journey of self enlightenment and Idealism.
Chapter 1:Point Insertion.
The words boomed over the speakers, spoken in such a tone that could make coke addled squirrels fall asleep.


“We never truly think.
But instead we act without remorse or question and this will be our downfall.
This will be how the humans race will slow to a stop, and plummet into the abyss of yet another failed species.” The man on stage wore a green and white plaid suit, his hair sat crooked on his head, as sweat trickled down his forehead.


“Christ you could drown a man with all that angst” The words were directed towards me, as I looked I saw Isaac stroll over to me with two drinks in his hand, while staring at the presenter onstage.


“You’d think they get someone with some charisma to do the speech” He said with a smile half cocked. He continued with a chuckle “looks like they pulled this guy out of the Ben Stein school of Impersonation.” Taking a sip of his drink while passing the other to me.


“I think this is the part where the metaphorical crickets would start chirping” I said dryly, taking one of the drinks from him.
He turned to me “Never was one for laughing, were you Mitch?” Isaac said, annoyed at his failed joke.


“Oh I laugh, But only at things I find funny. See how that works?” I said completely forgetting about the presentation that just ended. It’s been going on for about an hour or so and the whole time I couldn’t help but notice his horrible hairpiece that looked like an old mop. I actually felt ashamed of myself, I mean I couldn’t even stop to hear the guy out. I just couldn’t stop mocking him inside my head.


“Why did I have to come again? ‘Cause this whole time I‘ve been bored out of my mind listening to grandpa up there lecture us with some simple ass philosophy lesson.” Irritation lined his words and his faint whine keyed me in to his displeasure of the presentation.
“Thought you should get out more, you’re either at home or work and that’s no fun”


“That’s because I spend five grand a month to keep my HOME and to do so I need to go to my JOB, It’s simple really.”
He said it with such a smug tone, like he thought he beat me or something, I chuckled and gave him the false idea he won. To which I decided that we should leave, me being the great intellect that I am.


I can safely say I have never seen Isaac so ecstatic in all my years in knowing him as tonight as we left. I’m surprised he didn’t kiss the ground the moment we left the building. As we got into the car there was this silence that made me uneasy, hell it made my blood boil. I tried to lift the silence with small talk, which regrettably I’ve never been very good at.
“How’s Meredith doing?”
“Fine, all things considered,” His voice was monotone, as his eyes glazed over. His entire being changed in an instant.
“The divorce was hard on her kid though” he added. His daughter whom was in her early twenties had recently broke her marriage due to, more political reasons.
“You don’t hear of people breaking up because of different Ideas in politics often.”
“Or at all, Mitch.”
“I’m only saying, it’s not like he treated her bad or anything, and they always seemed so happy together.”
“Hell they never even complained at all about their kid when he was young.” I tried to console him on the idea that his daughter’s relationship was well lived but he wanted none of it. We approached the apartments in Center city moments later, as Isaac left the car he warned me.


“I understand your concern Mitch, and I’m glad you care, but please. Don’t look down on another person’s life as though their lesser.” He shut the door in such a manner that clued me in that his thoughts on the matter were set, and knowing Isaac, could not be swayed.


The car ride to the club was lonely, but nothing I haven’t endured before. The sight of young lovers on the street however, did not depress me, oh no. In fact it brought joy to my heart to know that there was some good in the world.
This is what some see as a flaw, I see it as being a good human being.
I’m not religious though to many peoples surprise, but I understand the idea of Religion. People need hope, people need faith. To some it can be just as powerful as any alcohol or any drug on the market. People need to believe in something greater than themselves, that there is a reason for everything.
I’m not atheist which most would be even more surprised of.
I believe in four freedoms that every man, women and child should have.
Freedom to Love.
Freedom to Choose.
Freedom to Believe.
Freedom to Live.
Call me an Idealist, but those freedoms should be in every free governments constitution. They shouldn’t be questioned, they should simply Be.


My thoughts were neatly wrapped up as I reached the club, Its black exterior was well hidden in the moonlight. A line was clearly present out front, the bouncer was going back and forth rejecting and accepting patrons into the club dubbed “The Black Box” due to it’s black paint job. Hey I didn’t name it okay?
I steered the sedan towards the ally way around back of the building as I always did and parked in the reserved spot with my name in gold letters and I mean real gold letters too, which in retrospect does not survive long in the middle of a large city.. I locked the car and looked around the lot, several cars were parked evenly next to my own, that is except for a certain black Ford. Which keyed me in that the other Barkeep Andy hadn’t come into work again.
I made a mental note to fire him when I got the chance and walked inside. The vibrations from the music inside the club shook the doorknob as I opened the back door to my office.
The music from deeper inside the complex increased, the sound was some blend of techno and rap. Wonderful combination to be honest. Not something I’d listen to lighten Myself up or simply enjoy, but It’s fun enough to dance to nonetheless. I looked over my desk to find my suit pressed and ready.
I put on the simple black suit and pink tie, handkerchief in the coats pocket and proceeded to enter the floor area of the club only to find a huge mass of skin assault my retina. The crowd was jumping, and dancing all over, men trying to impress women with failing dance moves from thirty years ago.
Others were dancing much better but seemed too into themselves to care about any women watching. Groups surrounded the bar and tables in small groups talking to one another, by which I mean screaming, still their communicating nonetheless.
I made my way towards the right side of the club a larger man in somewhat of a matching suit as my own stood around others dressed the same. Earpieces in one ear, the heavy set men were obviously on break from their hard nights work of watching over crowds of drunkards, ecstasy addicts and more common than not douche bags.


The man I wanted to speak to was Rico, my head of security, he always knows what he’s doing so I don’t question him often, but right now he seemed to be not doing anything, which alarmed me greatly.
“Rico, when I sit down and pay your salary I’m afraid there isn’t a section entitled ‘sit around with all the other security members and have a friendly chit chat’ is there?” sarcasm dripped from my words.
“No, but there is a part of my contract stating I have to personally train new security officials…sir”
“New security officials” I said looking at the newcomers “All of ‘em?”
“That’s right, all of them.”
“Can I talk to you Rico?”
“Sure thing Mitch, be back in five and remember what I told you guys.” as nods of reassurance shooed him off.


“The hells wrong with you Rico?” I said, flustered by the accusation put before me. “All those new security details and not a word of it to me, Jesus Christ I should-” I was interrupted suddenly by Rico using his most comforting voice he could muster.
“They aren’t hired yet Mitch, I test all recruits, you know that. I see who’s up to par and who’s not, afterwards I send the resume to Claire so she can do the background check. All of this is within normal circumstances M. B., okay?”


“you had me scared for a second, fine just make sure to find one soon so you can get back to your post.”
“The one in front of your door?”
“That’s the one, Oh and one more thing Rico, Don’t. Call. Me. Mitch. Got It? I‘m your employer not the god damn Easter bunny! ”
“That didn’t make a lick of sense Mitch.”
“Rico.” My anger growing deep inside.
“Got it Mitc-er ah I mean, Boss” The smile that formed on his face taunted me but I disregarded it as best I could and walked over to the bar area to see The one and only barkeep here tonight.
“Chris, has Andy been around?”
“No sir” He said preoccupied mixing two drinks at once, never looking up to talk to me. “Might have called in sick, but I doubt it.” He said as he finished to two drinks simultaneously.
“Could sure use the help that’s for damn sure.” Finally looking up at me while he had a chance to breath.
“Honest opinion, Fire or no Fire?” I asked with my thumb sticking sideways, swaying up and down for an answer to determine his fate.
“Honestly? Fire him just for leaving me here the night everyone else took off.”
My thumb pointing down, “Ouch that’s rough I thought you guys were friends.”


“Friends don’t leave you to fend for yourself on Saturday night, the bastard.”
© Copyright 2010 M.S. Canyon (mbrunell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729132-The-Grass-shall-be-Greener