*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729545-How-Not-to-be-Superhero-Part-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Other · Action/Adventure · #1729545
Continuing the Story of Loser Reggie Watts
Part 5

The Fall of Laurence Barns.



He never slowed down, every cell of his body burned with power, they literally buzzed inside of him but as a human man he was physically and emotionally drained, the more he wore down the more he felt the buzz of his being that which gave him the power he had the hyper-reactivity of his own body and it felt like it was burning him from the inside. He had caught a quick glance at his self at some point and he looked at least twice his age. This was a constant war with Sludge, the city was over run with mobsters, petty gangs and drug dealers.
Kids from middle class families were being sucked into crime at an alarming rate supplying the fodder for gangs, killing themselves and anyone who got in their way like a pack of rabid dogs. It wasn't just the usual law abiding families suffering everyone was being held hostage in Sludges war in Neopolis he seemed to be everywhere and no where at once, he had nearly broken Laurence he had already broken Neopolis as smoke drifted between her glamorous glass skyscrapers from looted shops and burning cars.
It was as night settled and dawn broke that Laurence would be killed, not physically but Hyper-man and the regular man would be one and the same. The Neopolis times headlines run, Local Chef Laurence Barns Unmasked. The City Star featured a large colour photo of him with a shot of Hyper-man the comparison was obvious they had the same jawline and mouth it was obvious it just read: EXPOSED. Several others questioned just why Hyper-man was running this city into the ground in his own personal war.
It was his old friend the commissioner who broke the news to him, that they knew who he was that a young man who was a waiter in his restaurant had exposed him.
In his rage he had flown to the highest point of the city the Bhondi Tower as he sat there overlooking the city from this height as the sun rose it didn't look too bad several of the larger buildings were either gone or structually unsound as Sludge had taken out his rage on them, killing innocent people in some petty unknown vendetta against him.
From here however at this height it all seemed so quiet so serene, it didn't matter that they knew who he was not any more, his life had been over the night Laura had been taken by Sludge and then his parents it had seemed an age ago but it had all been within the last week.
He wasn't surprised when the voice came from behind him that high pitched cringe worthy voice that sounded like nails being drawn down a blackboard, “This morning they are looking up hypie, towards the heavens towards where they know you'll be and in their pathetic little voices they cry out 'why is our saviour not helping us this time. Unaware of the misery you your self have suffered this week.”
He had almost no fight in him, he hunched over, “Why Sludge, what had I ever done to you?”
“What had you ever done? What had you ever done!” He shrieked hovering out in front of him, his orange and black uniform a mockery of his own, “You did this, you created me I needed to wear you out, I needed to beat you I may have become this monster but I am SAVING ALL OF THEM!”
“Your insane you sick bastard!”
Sludge grinned, “You've looked better.”
Neopolis had largely been ravaged over the last twenty-four hours, the once gleaming skyscrapers had been reduced to rubble, thousands lay trapped or dead beneath the steel and glass hulks. The stench of smoke and fear assaulted Hyper-man's nostrils.
“This ends here Sludge!” He desended low behind his arch-nemesis, touching down softly his cape caught in the wind.
Sludge turned, his unnatural grin spread across his blood strewn face, “You've finally grown a pair.” Hyper-man thought Sludge may have winked but with the visor he wore across his eyes it was impossible to tell, “I tell you Hypes your getting slow I found and killed another twenty-three of your precious citizens while you saved some others instead of ending this.”
“Why are you doing this!” He screamed.
Sludge gestured widely, “Because this is it Hyper-man this is our grand finally, because you see I've found something out, something most troubling.”
“I've had enough of this.” He said taking a step forward.
Sludge's impossibly large grin grew even larger exposing long, sharp, black teeth, “No really your going to want to hear this one, we don't exist, none of this matters, none of these people are real and you want to know the worst part – we're not even published characters, we are just rattling around inside the head of some guy. But thats not all I found out H-man it's worse than that a lot worse the virus cometh.”
Hyper-man's gaze narrowed behind his own visor, Sludge was always crazy this however was worse than ever before.
“What do you mean we don't exist?” Hyper-man for the moment forgot about the rubble strewn city, the fires, the cries for help, Sludge that twisted image of him who claimed his self to be a descended of Hyper-man from the future shrugged, “What I said Hypie, none of this matters these people all around us only exist because we are here and they are in our story, they don't matter, when you save them do you think they go on with their lives – NO – they don't they cease to exist because once they are out of the story they don't matter any more.”
“Your mad.”
“Yes I'm insane I get that I am I really am, but I am not stupid enough to ignore the facts I can still fix it all.”
“You need to tell me what your going on about, I don't understand.”
Sludge bared his black teeth, “You.” He accused as they hovered a hundred and fifteen stories off the ground, “don't need to be told anything all you need to do is die your ruined here, there's nothing left for you. I have to kill you I'm sorry I am I never wanted it like this.” He wiped the spittle from his lips he was struggling with something, whatever it was that was in his head this was the most clarity he had ever got for this man, it was almost like he was trying to justify what he was doing and yet it still made no sense.
“I've been away Hypes,” He giggled, “To other places doing other things but I found stuff somewhere else I had two brothers and I was Pain in another when and where I was an Emperor of Imbica and I was prepairing for war and it was all the virus that was created I need to stop it H-man.” He clutched his head, “It burns god the Hyper-virus it burns so much.”
Laurence felt the buzzing of his own cells gone for so long without out any kind of rest or nourishment they weren't burning him yet but he could fill the many small fires beginning to burn within each one. “I can help you Sluge, but you need to stop this.” If I can get him to calm down, this is the strangest he has ever been.
The madman nodded slowly “You can.” He landed next to Hyper-man, “I have a plan, remember jump, when you wake up jump Laurence. JUMP!”
Sludge shot forward propellig him backwards into the Bhondi tower, they smashed through the high windows ripping out an entire floor before they came to a stop. The jagged metal was titanium and as it pierced through Laurence almost impenetrable skin, driven with a strength equal to his own, he's head slumped down in shock as he saw the tip of the metal peirce his chest ripping his H-symbol.
He gasped for words as sludge leaned close “Shhh, I've done it I've really done it I've saved everyone.”
Laurence struggled for breath, he could feel his body convulsing as his lunges began to fill, his own blood drowning him.
“Remember Laurence Jump, when you get there Jump!”


Reggie sat there, his eyes watering his mouth a big round O. He looked down to confirm that there was no metal protruding from his chest, even though it was clear he felt the dull ache of where it had been. He shuddered taking in a deep indrawn breath, sucking at the air greedily as if it was the last he would ever get.
Chief-inspector Roberts was looking at him with an strange expression, he had been 'away' and he had no idea what happened here but Laurence had died killed by his enemy and the loss was affecting him profoundly like an old friend or close family member had gone, it was worse he could feel the pain, the shock and the rage of it.
Roberts was looking around to make sure no one was looking, he had sent Andrews off on an imagined errand, the man opposite him had changed again in a way he could not have described it was more of a feeling, “Reginald?”
“Yes?” He said shaking.
“Is...That you?” He spoke like a man embarrassed to believe something had just witnessed first hand.
“I think so.” He was subdued he couldn't ever remember feeling this sad.
For a moment the chief-inspector studied the man, brows raised high, now that Reg had finished his performance it was easy to believe it had been just that, this little weasle of a man seemed incapible of the act he'd just pulled, he didn't truly expect a man of his experience really believe that somebody had come from another world and was living inside his head, but a small part of him had been suckered in. For the moment he did nothing.
Reggie fidgeted, “What did he say?” he asked timidly, coughing as he did.
Roberts eyes narrowed, “You know very well what you said, a mad man is going around killing innocent men and you know something Watts.” He pointed his finger at him, “I don't like you Mr. Watts but I think we need your cooperation here so here's the deal you tell me what you know and we'll get you some help.”
Reg nodded, he did think he needed help he had known he needed help the moment he woke up on top of that building. He half expected that the police man believed him somewhat, whatever Laurence had said must have been convincing but he had seen – felt – Laurence die, “Whatever it is.” Reggie pleaded, “be it some split personality or man from another world I have no idea what he said.”
“I'll let you review the tape later we're going to need to speak to you further Mr. Watts we'll get you the help you need and perhaps you can help us find this maniac. Your...other self seemed pretty determined, but Reginald why is he American?”
Reg shrugged, “I guess because he's American.”


As he left the station for the second time in this matter of weeks he was at least somewhat less disorientated and far better dressed he at least looked respectable not in a pac-man t-shirt, his knitted jumper at least felt comfortable if not at the height of fashion, he could not remember if this was one his mother had made for him, she must be going crazy with worry or at least she needed to hear the gossip for the girls who thought of him as some kind of unsung hero.
His pocket began to buzz as his mobile phone began to ring, he winced as he saw the number, “Hello Russell.” He answered bitterly.
“Reggie,” That annoying constantly happy, patronising voice that issued from between the tombstones, “listen my man, when you back at the office.”
“Why so you can poke fun at me while you and Barry go in 'for the kill'” He was about to hang up when Russell quickly said, “Nah man, Reggie boy it's nothing like that...if you must know we've been worried about you your desk all empty and lonely.”
“I'm fine thank you for your concern.” The distaste in his voice was obvious, had Laurence really made an impression on Russell that had been so strong that years worth of enmity between them, that such a man had died protecting what he loved while he continued on in this stupid city with his miserable life was beyond him.
Reg those thoughts don't help.
“Laurence?”
“No it's Russ. Reg?”
I was lost before in here I, There was effort in his voice, I think I'm getting the hang of this.
“Oh yes.” Reg said remembering the phone gripped tight to his ear, “I've got to go now Russell.”
“All right bud, well if there's anything any of us can do...”
“Bye.” he said quickly hanging up just catching Russell calling him an arse.
Hello Reggie, glad to finally meet you properly.
“Oh god, this is weird.” He clutched his temples.
It's not great for me either Reginald I think I've been had in the most terrible way.
“Sludge?” He said as some tourists looked at him strangely so he cleared his throat hoping it covered for him talking to his self.
Yes, I don't know what he knew but he set me up he knew this would happen somehow.
“Well that's nice, but I want you out of my bloody head this instant.” He felt Laurences shock, “How dare you think you can just invade my mind take over my body.” He was in full rant now and had began to gather a crowd, “I can sympathise that you lost everything but for a so called hero you seem to have taken to body snatching quite well.”
Your attracting attention.
“I don't bloody care anymore.” He waved his arms frantically.
please just help me find him.
“No, I am not listening any more.” He stuck his fingers in his ears. The people who had at first found him amusing were beginning to look worriedly at each other and moving quietly off.
That won't work I'm inside your head.
“La la la not listening.”
This is stupid, don't make me come forward, I will.
“Don't you dare.”
I will if I have to, I find this as distasteful as you I wanted out! I quit this game and where I do end up stuck inside some Limey's head, tell me how does that even happen? He paused.
“If your going to be like that...”
Come on Reg buddy I need your help, I don't think I actually exist.
“Your damn right you don't.”
But somewhere somehow I must have or why else am I rattling around inside your head, Sludge spoke of a creator maybe your him maybe that's why I embodied you while he searches for me.
Reggie rolled his eyes as he began to move away from the view of the police station toward the Strand, already he could hear the noise of the busy road, “I'm not a creator of anything, certainly not super-powered buffoons who think it's perfectly all right go around beating each other senseless and destroying their own cities.”
There was more of a feeling from Laurence than a reaction, it was disappointment and a touch of frustration, well that was good it might finally settle this, he had no idea who might be killing Laurence Barns's but it had nothing to do with him after all he was Watts not Barns he didn't even have to worry no one would come stalking him in the night.
Your wrong Watts!
Reggie smiled.
© Copyright 2010 TheCrimsonidol (crimson664 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729545-How-Not-to-be-Superhero-Part-4