*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729843-Judgement-Day
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1729843
Prisoner of the Heart
He hung his head between his knees and contemplated his fate. The grey floor reflected his mood. After a while the dirt became fascinating and he entered a light trance state of mind. At that moment a paper went flying past his nose and landed on his bed a little girls face was looking up at him. He settled down on his bed, propped up the pillow and read. It was about a young girl who was going to die if she did not get a heart transplant immediately, because of her blood group being so rare she was not having much luck. He had the same blood group. All sorts of thoughts occurred to him all at once, all the bad things he had done in his life, all the pain he had caused others, this was his opportunity to redeem himself. 'I will give her my heart and that will help to pay my dues with god', he considered. He would sacrifice his self for her.

As he became more absorbed his face became less expressive then sadness gripped his jaw and his eyes filled with a huge heavy tear that fell like a water bomb onto the cheek of the picture of the girl. He realised what was happening and quickly adjusted, he rapidly checked to make sure no prisoners or warders were around. No, he wasn't seen. He couldn't remember the last time he had cried. This girl's story had really touched him. He picked the paper up and started to read the story again.

John was a small man with a rough face and stubbly chin, a few broken teeth from previous fights peeped out from behind thin lips. A scar ran straight down his right cheek where a woman had knifed him once. His eyes were just a bit too close together with a lazy right eye that made him look more sinister than he was. He didn't have a mirror and was glad as the picture in his mind of himself was in his twenties. His life experiences lay heavy on his face. He had not abused his body over the years. He did not drink or smoke and for a thirty eight year old was remarkably fit. He could be a donor candidate; could this day get any better? He didn't think so. "Yeah," he suddenly realised this was his chance to do something seriously good and he felt a shift in his mind and his goal was set.

That night he opened his bible and read with an absent mind. He would have to think of snappy titles and catch phrases if his publicity campaign was to be a success enabling the authorities to give it the go ahead. He thought perhaps he should get an agent. What about that grey haired guy off the tele, Max somebody. He seemed to make things happen. He had to save her as soon as possible. That night he had the best sleep he'd ever had in his life. He awoke with the clatter of his bible falling to the floor. As he bent down to pick it up he "noticed" the words………unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

The first thing he did was to speak to his lawyer who supplied him with information about the medical procedure and the legal aspect of it, he probably wouldn't read that. His lawyer would be making contact with a publicist. It was all rolling along nicely and he felt happy. He would have to tell Jo. He hadn't seen him for a couple of days.

After a particularly satisfying dinner he went to the TV room and settled down on a settee. The news came on and he sat up alert and shushing everyone as he turned the volume up. …….."Katie needs a transplant within months or she will die." The little girl's face faded slowly and he was struck hard in the chest by strong uncontrollable emotion and he committed a masculine sin and burst into uncontrollable sobbing. They all turned and stared at him then a couple of kind souls led him outside and sat with him until he had calmed down, and he sat and he spoke of the plight of that child and how it had struck his heart and he was compelled to do something about it . The others were seriously impressed and he took a deep breath in of saintly satisfaction and bathed in their deference. He appreciated their help and slapped them on the back and said thanks. They were taken aback. This man had changed, last week he'd threatened to cancel one of their living options for not getting out of his way. What was he up to? They threw each other a look. He was oblivious; each step he took was into the future, her future. His surrogate little one who would live because of him .A last tear eked its way out and dropped on to a smiling cheek.

He rushed back to his cell to share his fortunes with his friend Jo. "How you doin' mate, where you been, I was worried. Luckily they didn't notice you gone." he chuckled. "You're looking well, wait till you hear what's been happening with me." And in to the night he recounted his thoughts opinions and deeds past and present and how he really felt about it all, his life.

The next morning he looked up, Joe was gone . That was a shame he'd wanted to thank him for listening last night, ah well, catch him later. He stretched and yawned .Today was a good day he felt it in the air, and sure enough on the phone his solicitor had good news. He had got in touch with Max Helman , he was interested in being his publicist. "Great news" "its not settled yet so don't go getting your hopes up too much, anyway he'll be in to visit you on Thursday and have a chat .We caught him at a time when he hasn't got much on."

He just sat there with a big grin on his face and went and had his last meal of the day. Hmmm cheese on toast he could not be happier even though he knew soon he would be dead. He lumbered his satiated body into its cell while his mind flowed free he felt that perhaps god would forgive him after all. He sensed his burden lighten just thinking of the possibility. He sat down happily for a good read of the bible.

"Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven" he read out loud ……"Your solicitors here to see you". The guard whispered in his ear behind him. John slammed his bible shut and followed the guard with butterflies in his stomach. He strode into the room where Max Hellman turned toward him with a smile on his face. "Sit down my friend I have great news. Where shall I start, you've got an appointment at the Central Hospital for extensive tests," "Isn't that a private hospital?" He inquired. "Yes. The governments involved, they think it will be good for their profile. So everything is going to be much easier, in fact almost certain. And you have leave from the governor to appear in a special with no less than Richard and Judy." "Oh my god I don't believe it I have been imagining that." "Well your dreams have come true. I can't stop long now, I'll return with the details." He cocked a glance at his watch, picked up his suitcase and swiftly left.

John departed to have his last meal of the day. He was so pleased, so glad to be alive. He smiled more and more. The closer he got to death the less he thought of it, he was becoming free of his burdens. He practically skipped back to his cell, with a piece of Red Leicester cheese he had saved, "Joe!" he called as he turned the corner of the door frame .he looked in. "There you are, I got this for you." and he sat down on his bed with his best friend and fed him the piece of cheese. Joe being the independent type took it from him and clasped it in his tiny claws and enjoyed. "I wanted to say thank you for listening the other night. You're the best friend a bloke ever had Joe." Joe squeaked as if to say thank you. "That's alright mate!" and then he scuttled off into his mouse hole with the rest of the cheese in his mouth.

Just as quickly as things had gone right, things went wrong. Once the public had all the details and had become aware of the vicious nature of his crime they found the thought of his heart going into an innocent girl, distasteful and 'there but for the grace of god go I' went out the window.' "Fickle you see public opinion, can't be relied upon" his solicitor explained over the phone. "Well there you are, not to worry." "Not to worry!" Dying was his reason for living. "Not to worry!" How was he going to save her now and gain his own redemption? 'Don't give up' echoed around his head. As the days passed he realised there was a way. She needed a heart now; they would have to take his he would see to it.

He sat in his cell with the gun in his hand, "one bullet that's all I'll need. "Joe, you've come to say goodbye .There was Joe sat on the top shelf. "I knew you'd come, goodbye my friend" As he brought the revolver in line with his temple Joe suddenly leapt on to the top of his head with his claws digging in. The gun pointed downward and as he struggled to get Joe off his head his finger squeezed the trigger and the bullet ripped straight through his heart. A long moment of realisation hit as he found himself leaving his body. His last utterance echoing in his cell
"Shit!"



© Copyright 2010 Finn O'Flaherty (fin333 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729843-Judgement-Day