*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730595-Haunted-house-NOT
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1730595
Looks can be very deceiving...
One day, as usual, I was walking home with a group of friends when I stopped in front of a double-storey house. I have passed by this house countless times and have never seen or heard anybody from within it. My friends told me that it has been vacant for quite some time now, though nobody was putting the house up for sale.

Curious, I wanted to have a look around, and if I were lucky, maybe I can catch a "glimpse" inside. I asked my friends to join me but they declined. Either because they were chickens or because they have other business to attend to, which I don't really care at the moment. Being the brave one, and the investigative one, I decided to check it out on my own.

Later that day, after leaving my bag at home, I once again stood outside the house. It was quite an old house, a kid would say it is a hundred years old. It also have the look of abandonment: faded colored walls, cloudy windows, cracked ceilings and an un-watered garden. It was no wonder the neighboring kids called it "The Doom House". But, though the outlook, I was not intimidated.

The main gate was not locked, which surprised me for people usually keep places like this locked to prevent kids from entering. The 3-steps front porch steps creaked as it felt my weight and the next thing I knew, I was at the door. I considered ringing the door bell, but stopped and laughed mentally at my foolishness. Who would come and get the door when basically, there is no one inside? Taking a deep breath, I turned the knob and went in.

The inside was dark as any abandoned building would be. Sunlight coming in from the dust-covered windows helped not for dawn was soon to come. I tried the switch, nothing. I thought about scouting the outside but thought otherwise, seeing as I am now IN the house, might as well take the opportunity.

I turned on my torchlight which I specially brought for this kind of exploration and realized I was in the living room. There were furniture's everywhere: a medium-sized velvet red couch set, bookshelves, a small round tea table and lamps. They were all draped with a white cloth. Somebody was kind enough to prevent them from gathering dust, but who? I thought. As the light beam shone here and there, a picture on the wall caught my attention.

It was a family portrait. A man and a woman were sitting on the velvet red couch. To each of their side stood two little girls while a young boy stood behind them. They were smiling genuinely, or so it seems to me. I wondered what happened to them. As it was an old picture, I assumed the children would be grown ups by now.

Putting that thought aside, I continued my wandering. Somehow, the floor board creaked unexceptionally loud under my weight. Then, some thing heavy fell from upstairs. I stopped my steps and strained to listen. Was someone else in here? Suddenly, I heard the sound of heavy footsteps followed by a door being opened.

I panicked. My heart beat quickened, I felt goosebumps all over my body as the footsteps continued. Coming out from my daze, I searched frantically for a hiding place. There, behind the king-sized velvet red couch! I crouched behind, held my breath, and waited for the person to come.

The couch was facing the staircase, so my "newcomer" would not see me. But the door was five steps away. Can I make a dash for it without getting caught? That would seem impossible, unless you are The Flash. So I waited. He/She/It has now reached the ground floor, straining his/her/its' ears to listen. Then they went in the opposite direction, away from my hiding place, to the kitchen I assumed.

As usual, curiosity got the better of me. With my knees still slightly bent, I looked over the couch, thinking maybe one of my classmates decided to tag along. Alas, I was SO wrong.

I was looking at a MAD MAN. His dark hair looked as dirty as Robert Pattinson's (no offense to you fans...). I also managed to catch a glimpse of his face. Square and unshaven jaw, eagle-like nose and murderous eyes. At least that was what it looked like at the moment and I SO hoped not.

As he went further in, I made my decision, GET OUT! Tip-toeing as QUIETLY as POSSIBLE, I made my way towards the door, hoping he would not look this way, But it was as though he had his "spidey-senses" turned on. He turned, saw me, and all I could do was run.

"Come back here!" his hoarse voice spoke. It sent chills down my body.

I opened the door and ran straight towards the front gate. When I looked back, he was standing at the door, wearing - to my surprise - fresh clothes. Before I could say anything, he slammed the door, and the sound of a bolt was heard.

I never did know who that man was. But one thing was clear: I will never step into that place again!
© Copyright 2010 VinBlack (vinblack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730595-Haunted-house-NOT