*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730616-As-an-older-sister
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1730616
You can't protect her forever...
I would never forget that day.

That very day that made my heartbeat speed up; my hands to sweat; my mouth to dry up. Just like any other case I had handled throughout my years as a FBI agent, reminiscing it and having an argument in my mind of 'what if's, it continues to haunt me.

It was dark, around 7 o'clock and way pass our curfew. My sister, Carol and I were sprinting towards home in hopes that mom and dad will give us a chance to explain ourselves that we stayed back for a late cheerleader's meeting when in fact we actually went over to my good friend Debbie's house for a party.

We were practically running our legs out (I think I did the running while Carol did the skipping - you'll know why soon) and laughing all the way at how this one time, it will be first time we got busted for breaking curfew.

"We are so busted! Mom and dad are SO gonna ground us! I can just feel it." Squealed Carol, obviously the one with the hyperactive and don't-give-a-damn-what's-about-to-happen attitude.

"Well, let's just hope they don't take the computer away, I'd die." said I, sarcastically. True, as children who was introduced to the world of technology, being hooked up to the computer is a regular thing.

"Oh yeah. Dang, now I hope we won't." she said, deep in thought.

"You'd better or your People's magazine will be bumping with me."

"I thought you hate gossips."

"Well, after tonight, they might become my new best friend," I smirked.

"What, no!" She almost shouted, "In that case, I'd better get home first and hide my precious stash before Gossip Hater here finds them." She said, trying hard not to laugh.

I just shook my head.


I love my sister.

As I was older, I always ensure that my baby sisters' safety and happiness. She might have been 13 at the time, but looked like a 10-year-old, which is childlike. Thus, I knew she would be easily picked on. A blue belt in karate, I'd kick anyone's tush if they make her cry (parents are SO not counted, that would just be me signing a death warrant). I'd make sure she always get those butterfly stickers she likes whenever there's a new design. And I'd always joke around just to ensure that smile doesn't fade away from that chubby face of hers.

I'd always thought I would be the one who will grant her every needs, even though she didn't need much. Be the person there to hold her when she's sad; be the person to support her when she's down; be the person to protect her when she's in danger.

But after what happened that day, I knew I was wrong. I can never protect her from the evils lurking behind every shadow.

As we rounded a corner, we came across a simple, dark blue van parked by the pavement. The windows were tinted which made it difficult to identify anything inside.

Feeling uncomfortable, I stopped and grabbed (more like yanked) my sisters' arm.

"Wait!" I shouted.

Just then, the side door slid open and two guys came out. They wore black bandit masks - more like socks that were forcefully stretched to fit their heads in - and dark clothes which makes seeing difficult.

"Well, A, looks like we got lucky tonight," said the bigger-looking guy, his voice low.

"As they say, beginner's luck." The other said. Their voices were gruff yet sounding like young people's, but that could be because of the socks' that were covering their faces.

After recovering from the shock the two men caused, I started to back away slowly, nudging Carol to do the same while looking at them. But alas, as we were taking our time, so were they.

It all happened in the blink of an eye.

One minute I was holding onto Carol's arm and the next thing I knew I was shoved towards the pavement, hardly if not gently. But I did not lose my grip. Instead, I summoned everything inside me to tighten that grip that binds me to Carol, hoping the men-in-socks would have a hard time prying my fingers open. This also cause Carol to fall on the floor with me, but better than being with them.

Carol was screaming frantically as she was being pulled by the guy with the low voice towards the van. Obviously loosing his patience, and not wanting to arouse the neighbors, he covered her mouth with a napkin. In a few seconds, Carol was as limp as a doll.

As I watched, hands still on Carol's left arm, I thought about what my teacher taught during Chemistry lessons that chloroform when breathed in too much could cause unconsciousness. I shook my head, mentally scolding myself for thinking about Chemistry when my sister's being dragged by bad men.

The other guy, A, was prying my fingers desperately. "Come one, girl, let go!" he said, anger and nervousness in his voice. And as hard-headed as I am, I did not. I did however tried to pull Carol (and said men) towards me. Who knew, I just might be able to pull it.

Suddenly, A groaned and kicked me. Surprised by the sudden attack, I let go and fell towards the pavement, again.

"Told ya to let go, if not, we just might drag you along." he taunted. Then, he was helping the other guy, carrying my sisters' limp form into the back of the van.

Anger built up inside me. I stood, and without a second thought, I charged towards them, stopping them from closing on to the van.

"Let her go, you jerk!" I shouted loudly, wondering how come no one was noticing the small commotion happening outside their door. I held onto 'low-voice', almost causing him to lose his grip on Carol.

"Let go!" he grunted, waving one of his arms to push me away. I avoided it, and sent a kick to his groin.

"Ooof!" The air was pumped out of him, but he did not let go. Adamant bastard. Again I tried to pulled his arm away, but while doing so, A-man gave me a back-fist, causing me to stumble back, fall on the road, and scratched my arms.

Everything went slow motion from there: as my head continued its attempt to recover from that blow, I sat, paralyzed, watching the men retreating into the darkness of the van with my Carol, then driving off. Then, someone sprinted from my left; a neighbor - apparently finally man enough to come out of the house - giving chase to said vehicle. A blur of blue and red lights was followed by this; a patrol car. Someone FINALLY called the police.

My ears were still death from the impact my about-to-be abductor gave me, so I didn't noticed arms going under my knees and behind my back, gently picking me up. I turned. A man in his 30's was smiling softly down at me. Slowly, he started walking towards one of the houses nearby. I felt the wind caressing my cheeks and the man's heartbeat as he carried me inside.

During the next few hours, a lot of things happened.

My parents and the police were by my side almost instantly. The police didn't really feel a need to call the ambulance as my "hero" assured everyone that his girlfriend, who worked at the local hospital, has patched me up.

The neighbors gave their full account of what they saw, heard, and smelt. Someone even managed to get the license plate number. The police said they would put a BOLO out on the vehicle. In the mean time, they told mom and dad to look after me while they run some errands.

As I lay comfortably on the sofa, I cried, hard, not caring whether anyone felt disgusted with the snort coming out of my nose (I'm 15, but that doesn't stop me from crying like a baby). I couldn't protect her, my cute, hyper, funny (not to mention chubby) and beloved baby sister. My parents too cried along, sharing the lost the family felt. "Shh, it's okay, you've tried your best..." mom kept telling me that while I rest my head on her shoulder. But I know it wasn't okay. They might have tried to keep the silent accusation out of their comforting words but I heard it, screaming at me. 'Why didn't you try to save her?' 'You could've protected her!' And all I could do was cry, feeling the unspoken words stabbing me in the heart. I knew, any parent would put the blame on someone else if anything were to happen to their child, especially the other children who could've protected them.

A couple of hours have passed. Our cries were no longer filling in the silence of the house as tears were shed enough. I sat there on the neighbors' couch, sandwiched between my mom and dad with mom stroking my face gently, still trying to soothe me while I leaned onto her, dry tears on my face. I would have fallen asleep if this would've been any other ordinary day, but the guilt building up inside me every time I think back to that horrible incident prevented me from doing so.

The neighbors, who introduced themselves as Jack and Anna as they were bandaging my wounds, sat on the opposite couch, each seeking comfort from each other with their hands intertwined. Throughout our outburst, they comforted us, telling us that Carol will come back save. She's a nice girl, and even the heavens won't take her away from us.

"It's going to be okay," said Anna, after we've stopped crying. "What you've done today was brave thing. You didn't save your sister, but miracles do happen, and I've seen my fair share of them in the hospital." She smiled, genuinely, in the hopes of cheering my up.

I smiled back timidly. I wished that were true. Where was my miracle when we were being assaulted my the two men? Surely that miracle could've appeared before Carol was taken away. I bit my bottom lip as my eyes started to blur. I held back the tears, not wishing to cause another embarrassing situation between all of us.

My mom was about to comment about what Anna said when the door bell rang. Everybody jolted at the shrill sound of it, as if something bad was behind that door. Then, as if to see if that statement was true, Jack and dad went, saying it might be the police.

It was, and it wasn't bad news he brought this time.

"We found the kidnappers," said the policeman who identified himself as Officer Rider. "We chased them down the highway but the van skidded and crashed into the railing. But-!" He quickly inserted, knowing that my dad was about to interrupt him, "your daughter, Carol... she's fine."

The words "she's fine" broke the tension that was building up in the room. Everyone let out a sigh of relief, not knowing that they were holding their breaths to ever since they found out it was the police who rang the door bell.

"She's down at the nearby hospital getting a checkup. No serious bruises or anything major that we could see. Seems like those bastards were kind enough to put her seat belt on... idiots." He snarled. "Kidnapper themselves were kids, thinking their first night on the job, they might just get away with it, total amateurs. Let's hope that bleeding nose and broken leg taught them a lesson or two."

We didn't really care much about whatever detail Officer Rider provided after, as we were busy getting up, hoping to get to the hospital. Thankfully, Officer Rider offered us to ride along in his squad car, this way we can avoid traffic AND the media that were piling up the driveway.

The hospital wasn't quite packed as I thought it would be. Anna, who tagged along, asked for the doctor in charge who treated my sister. After that, we were led to a Mr. James Grayson's office.

As the door opened, I stood, too moved to actually move. Carol, my beautiful sister, was sitting on the checkup table with a grin on her face at our appearance. My first instinct was to scold her, asking her how could she still smile after everything that's happened. But my second instinct beat the first.

In three steps I was in front of her, enveloping her in a tight hug. She seemed surprised at the contact at first, but relaxed after. She hugged me back just as forcefully as I did. "Shh, it's okay, I'm alright. There's no need to cry." Carol said.

I leaned back to look at her with glistening eyes. I didn't even know I was crying until I felt tears traveling down my cheeks. "I'm so glad you're okay..." I said, softly.

She smiled back, a small smile that told me it was all right. "I am, thanks to you. They might've took me away, but you tried, Crystal... And look, I'm back." She said, seriously at first, then gleefully. "I was sleeping when you fought hard for me, Crystal. But I heard you, telling yourself to not let go of my hand and let them take me..." At this, she took hold of my hands. "I don't really know how I know this, but... I'm so glad to have a big sister like you. I love you, Crystal..." her smile widened as she said this.

The doctor was kind enough to usher everyone else out of the room to give us two sisters privacy. And as the door closed with a 'click' behind me, I broke down. The tears I held back from Jack's house finally coming out in full force. I bent my head low, and Carol held me tight against her. No other words were needed.


I opened my eyes, eyes blur from the tears that formed every time I think of that incident, and saw Carol walking into the diner with shopping bags in her left hand and her cellphone in the other. She grinned as she saw me and headed towards the back booth where I sat facing the windows that showed the clothing shops, cars and people passing by, and the night sky.

"Hey! Sorry I'm late. I got carried away. I mean, with all this good stuff they have on sale, it's hard not to." She nodded towards the shopping bags beside her which had various well-known labels on each of them.

"It's okay, I just got here myself. With all the stuff that's happening lately, I could use a break, and I don't mind the wait." I said, pretending to yawn in an attempt to cover the true reason my eyes were watery.

"Well, you should really take a break now and then. I mean, come on! This whole kidnapping case, let Mike handle it. He's also good at his job. Plus," she quickly inserted, as I was about to retort. "it's not like he'll disagree with me. You need a break girl, and if he's not giving you one even though you're his girl, then I'll just have to take over that job." She tilted her chin, obviously quite proud of herself for rendering me speechless at her logic.

"But still, I-" I was interrupted when the waitress came and Carol ordered apple juice. "I can't just enjoy my break when a kid's out there practically scared out of his wits..." I continued, speaking lowly so as not to be overheard by other people.

"I know, after what's happened to me, you just can't get your mind off what's happening to every child that gets taken by psychos..." she said sarcastically. "But hey," she reached over the table and took my hand, "just one night. One night of shopping or partying or rebelling with me, at least that'll get your mind of the case."

I shook my head. "Carol, I can't... I-"

"No talking back! I don't wanna hear 'I have to do this' or 'I'm too tired' cause I know you don't really have to do it since Mike's on the case and you're SO not tired." She pointed a finger at me to emphasize her point. "Now, after I finished my juice, you're gonna lose the FBI outfit, loosen up, and take me to the new club up the street, okay?" she pierced me with her clear green eyes. It looked so serious on her face that I just had to say yes.

"Good, now, where the HELL is my juice... Ah, there it is!" the waitress came and left her drink in front of her. "Yum!" Carol starred at it as if it was the only drink of water left in the desert. Then she started drinking.

I looked at her. Young adult, beautiful and gorgeous. Still childish but old enough to think for herself. Dressed in a baby blue blouse, knee-length dark skirt and short pumps. All the while sipping her apple juice happily.

It has been at least 10 years since then, but I'm guessing nobody could tell from the way she drank her juice that such a horrible incident had once been bestowed upon her.

I shook my head again at her childish act, and continued to drink my coffee. Maybe a day off from the case is not such a bad idea. Evils lurks everywhere no matter how you try to hide from them. People die everyday no matter how you try to save them. But one thing stands true: I will get that child back home to his family. I might've almost failed my sister back then; I might've failed some of the people along the way. But I will not fail again as I always learn from my past mistakes.

I might not be able to protect Carol forever, seeing as she's a grown woman now. But I can prevent them from happening to her.

That's why I joined the bureau.

That's why I trained myself to the limit.

That's why I agreed to go relax with her, knowing it would make her happy, even just for a night, even if it makes me forget about the case for a while.

That's why.
© Copyright 2010 VinBlack (vinblack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730616-As-an-older-sister