*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730618-Polly-put-the-kettle-on
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Comedy · #1730618
Isn't it funny how the world has changed!
Polly put the kettle on,
Polly put the kettle on,
Polly put the kettle on,
We’ll all have tea.
Sukey take it off again,
Sukey take it off again,
Sukey take it off again,
They’ve all gone away.

According to my source, the all so wise internet, Polly and Sukey were sisters! They wanted to play with their three brothers, and Polly would put a toy kettle on and temp the boys with the idea of a tea party. When the boys became bored with their sisters’ entertainment they would leave to play with their toy soldiers instead and Sukey would have to take the the kettle off again. Their father was so amused with the game he sang a song about it, and thus the rhyme was born.

If Polly and Sukey had wanted to play with their brothers in modern times their tea party hoax would never have worked. They would have to select a day when their all home, no extra curricular activities in school for any of them! What a painstaking task that would be, but i guess on a rainy day that maybe possible. Then how would they get their brothers away from their games? It would be soldiers but not the old school action figures. No,these boys would be playing a game of bloody massacre on their computers, some morbid game with soldiers on an alien infested battle field. This would make the task much harder for Polly and Sukey. Their brothers would never join a tea party either, how could they? What a risk that would be, they’d be bullied senseless if anyone in school found out they joined their sister in girly games!

Maybe Polly and Sukey could ask their dad for an allowance raise, and they could order a pizza? Maybe that would get the boys away from their games! But then with the rising cost of living and all that wouldn’t be easy. Besides girls have so much more to use their allowance on. Movies, dates, makeup, magazines and what not! spending on pizza is a bit extreme, but maybe they really are desperate to play with their brothers! Or maybe they’v taken a bet that they can make the boys play, because its unimaginable otherwise why they’d want to play with a bunch of moody, rude boys!

Then theres a question of why their father is at home making songs about his children instead of working hard all day! Well thats more likely now than in the recent past, He could be a stay at home dad while the mum goes to work in a pencil skirt and earn them the big bucks! Well it really must be big bucks or they’d hire a baby sitter and both go to work! He surely cant be making songs after work, unless he’s just closed a brilliant deal. In which case Polly and Sukey may actually get that allowance raise!
© Copyright 2010 FunnyBoy (kt.kat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730618-Polly-put-the-kettle-on