*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730765-Radio-Waves
Rated: E · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1730765
Story about racers, whose idea came from Speed Racer.
Radio Waves
Intro

Speed. That’s all we really care about. Speed and acceleration, science terms. I guess, in a way, you could say that we are science nerds. But were much too cool to be nerds, at least that’s what people say…

Chapter 1
         It’s the first day of summer and I was excited. Sleeping in, not doing any work, doing whatever I wanted, being at home by myself all day, hanging out with my friends until midnight. This is what summer means. And racing, the need for speed is always building inside of me.

         I ran downstairs after getting dressed at nine o’clock, which is pretty early for me. I walked over to get my shoes when I heard the door bell ring.

“Come in, it’s open,” I shouted.

“Hey Natasha,” Jeff said, closing the door behind him, “Are you up for a joy ride?”

“A little early, don’t you think?” I commented, picking up my shoes.

“Yeah, but it’s the first day of summer. I’ve got to burn some rubber, man,” he said.

“Understood,” I smiled, putting on my last shoe and standing up, “Where are we headed?”

“Mitchie’s Track,” he stared, “Where else?”

“Round-about circle,” I gleamed evilly.

“Come on, after last year you know no one is going back there,” he responded bluntly.

“Hey the guy is still alive,” I retorted, and then added, “Come on, let’s go get Ryan.”
“Alright,” he said, letting the subject drop.

         I really did want to go back to round-about circle, though. Last year we were all there and this guy thought he could beat us out in a speed race. He almost died, because the round-about circle track isn’t held up well around the last turn. He fell through, car and all, into the water. But he did manage to get out and is alive still.

         It didn’t matter to me, though. Many people have gone around that turn before him. And I heard that they fixed it, so a lot of people could go around it until it fell again. But nobody wanted to try for fear of dying. I wanted to try, though. No one would come with me but that hardly mattered, I promised myself that I would go now that I had my license.

I just turned 16 so I just got my license. All my friends said I should start out small, and work my way up. Even my friends that are the same age as me and also just got their drivers licenses. They’re all just watching out for me, but I’m a thrill seeker. I guess that’s why they try extra hard.

I got into my car and turned it on. I loved being in my new car. I had never gone speed racing when I was driving before. I thought about the excitement running through my veins as I pulled out of the driveway and onto the road.

“So,” Jeff grinned, “Are you ready to tear it up for the first time?”

“Yeah, I sure am,” I responded, “I can’t wait for the thrill you guys always get driving.”

“You know the thrill,” he laughed, “You have been in a car during a speed race before. At least twice with me driving.”

“I know, but…” I trailed off.

“I read you,” he replied, “I felt the same way when I started driving. It’ll pass quick, it’s still the same thrill.”

         I’m not so sure. I think that when I start driving on the track it will be way better. More of a thrill for sure. But, I guess I would just have to wait and see. I thought about this as I pulled into Ryan’s and stepped out of the car. I left Jeff in the car listening to the music and walked up to ring the door bell.
         
         I rang the door bell and waited. After about a minute Ryan came out, beaming. He seemed particularly happy, smiling at me with his crazy grin.

“A little early, street girl,” he laughed, “What’s the damage?”

“Ask Jeff,” I smiled, “He’s calling the shots. And who are you calling street girl. I do have my license now.”
“Yeah,” Ryan retorted, “Now it’s time for you to play catch up before you get a real name.”

         Ryan got into his car and followed me onto the road. All I could think about was Mitchie’s Track and a name. Whenever a person sits in a car with a racer he or she is a street. Then, when that person starts to drive, they get a nickname known around the town and to all other racers.

         I wanted a name badly. I have been called street girl for way too long. I was going to get a name. All I would need is to be challenged, or to put myself into a race. But it was only the first day of summer, so the races weren’t here. Not yet, anyways.

         I pulled into Mitchie’s Track and parked in the first space I could find. Of course, being a new driver, I needed an ID all – access pass into the track. I climbed out of the car while Ryan and Jeff waited for me.

When I had finished I came back to the car and we all went into the track. It would be my first time driving, and I was a little nervous.

“Well,” Jeff said, taking off his seat belt, “I think you should pre-view the track on your own. I’m going speed running with Ryan.”

“Alright, but I only need one test run,” I said sternly, “then I’ll come out and join you guys.”

“If you say so, but be carful,” he shook his head as he got out of the car.

         I only need one test run. I could go speed running right now, but I’ll wait. I guess I could use a little bit of a pre-view. I drove out onto the practice course.

         The course was completely disserted. I drove around once and then went to go look for Jeff and Ryan. That’s when I noticed Mitchie putting up a bulletin. I drove over to see what was going on.

         A race was going to be held. A race! I can’t believe there is going to be a race! Jeff and Ryan came over, and soon everyone else on the track. As I drove around the track, speed running, I couldn’t stop thinking about the race.

“Yo,” Jeff smiled playfully, “Let’s race. Just a speed running race. No big, but it will get you ready for the real deal.”

“Yeah, you’re on,” I smirked and rolled up my window.

         I took off and hit the brakes at the starting line. Jeff was just a few seconds behind. This would be exciting. I was totally pumped and couldn’t help but smile as the flag was waved and we took off.
“Hey look, Ryan. Isn’t that the street girl who rode with you when you placed second at The Junction?” Eric asked.

“Yup,” Ryan answered confidently, “she is one of us now.”

“Almost,” Arnold retorted, “but the chicka still needs a name. Until then she is just a street, whether she can drive or not.”

“I know, but,” Ryan trailed off as he watched the race.

“She good,” Eric noted, “I have to say, I’m impressed.”

“Didn’t think she would be this good?” Ryan asked with satisfaction.

“Well,” Eric started in amazement, “Yeah.”

“Me either,” Arnold noted with a smile, “but there’s the proof.”

“Arny,” Eric asked, “where are you going?”

“Car,” Arnold answered without turning around, “The race is almost over. Natasha is going to win. She’s good. Then we can continue our speed running.”

         I could not believe the inevitable fact that I was winning. Against Jeff, too, a real professional. As I rounded the last turn I saw Ryan and Eric cheering me on. I crossed the finish line and skidded to a stop. It felt good to go ninety.

         I stepped out of the car with a crazy grin on my face. Ryan and Eric were rushing towards me. Before they surrounded me, though, I saw the look on Jeff’s face. He was shocked; maybe he didn’t take it easy on me like I thought.

“You did great!” Ryan exclaimed, picking me up and spinning me around.

“Wonderful, with talent like that you will get a name in no time,” Eric said, giving me a high five after Ryan had put me down.

“Let’s run it!” Arnold smiled from in his car, “Come on street girl.”

“I’m coming,” I called as everyone got in their cars, “Jeff.”

“Nice racing,” Jeff smiled, “Sorry I’m not more happy for you. I really am, but I am so shocked. Great job, I didn’t know you were that good.”

“Let’s run it,” I winked, turning and running towards my car.

“That girl,” Jeff whispered as I turned, “What a girl.”

Chapter 2
“What?” I asked as Arnold stared me down.

“Speed,” he replied casually.

“Is that supposed to mean something?” I asked, confused.

“Yeah,” he replied with a small smile, “You’ve got it.

“Really?” I asked, eyes growing wide.

“Yeah, don’t get cocky, though,” he said, putting his arm around me, “Having natural racing speed is the least to being a great racer.”

“Hey…” Jeff trailed off, looking between me and Arnold, “What’s going on?”

“Nothing,” I replied, shrugging Arnold off my shoulder. Arnold, however, kept his arm in place.

“Tash and I were just heading back out to the track. Right, Tash?” he gestured.

“Right,” I agreed quickly.

As Arnold got into his car I asked, “What’s up?”

“You and Arnold?” Jeff asked absently.

“No, no, no,” I shook my head, “He was just giving me some pointers. That’s all, no big deal.”

“Alright. So, Tash?” he smirked, “My I ride shotgun?”

“With me? Yeah!” I practically screamed.

“Alright, maybe I can learn a thing or two from the new master,” he winked, and walked towards my car.

“Yeah, maybe you can,” I whispered even though he could not hear.

I shook my head and realized my car was locked and Jeff was staring at me. I blushed slightly and took out my car keys. I could not even believe I was racing. Speed. I really had the speed to go somewhere. Now I needed technique, and a name. Maybe then I would start to be known.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
         I got home around noon, and man was I hungry. I had already dropped Jeff off and opened the refrigerator. Nothing. That figures. I took a corndog out of the freezer. So hate turning on the oven in summer. I turned on the oven anyway and heated the only eatable thing in the house. Sighing, I plopped onto the couch and turned on the TV. Maybe there was something good on for once.
© Copyright 2010 Veronica (veronica1600 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730765-Radio-Waves