*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1731292-Keepin-it-Real---2
Rated: E · Chapter · Young Adult · #1731292
Teen friends have their eyes opened to a world normally hidden from us.
         "COME!"

         Javan entered, strode confidently to the front of Gumerick's desk and bowed with some exaggeration. Gumerick may have been his boss, but they went back. Way back. Five thousand years way back.

         The two of them had been key players in persuading Nimrod to abandon the worship of Jehovah and build a tower to man's own glory during Babylon's early history.

         The tower was never completed, due to Jehovah's intervention. The resulting babble of languages that emerged from that time, had however, been used by the Fallen, to good effect ever since to bring misunderstanding, prejudice and war throughout the world.

         Javan had missed his boss's company and knew that he had too.

         But when Javan rose from his bow his smile faded as he now noticed that Gumerick was not alone. It had been two millennium, but Javan recognised the tall and broad form of Commander Draca of Deceptor Sector behind Gumerick, even before the shadows pulled back from his frightening form.

         "Welcome back, Javan." Draca's voice was overly polite sounding almost like mockery, but not quite. No one was ever sure what Draca really meant when he spoke. The power of his station caused all, including Javan, to be silent in his presence. "Reports of your success in the hub of the Ten Horns has cheered us for some time, Javan. Good work!"

         "You are too generous, sir."

         Draco waved Javan to a chair. Javan sat and waited, trying to work out whether he was in trouble or not. Satan's hierarchy did not reward anyone for anything. Draco's personal attendance was more likely to be for punishment, but Javan could not begin to imagine what for.

         Gumerick put him out of his misery quickly. "Draco has a special assignment for you, this time, Javan. You are honoured." Gumerick stood and moved around his desk. "This assignment must be highly confidential, therefore I will leave you for the duration of your briefing. I will catch up with you later, but we will not be able to discuss this matter."

         Javan nodded to his friend and he left the room. He turned to Draco, who was seating himself in Gumerick's chair. Javan tried to maintain a blank expression to disguise his confusion, but failed miserably.

         "For a master in the art of deception," Draco spoke slowly, with a smirk. "You are not hiding your confusion very well."

         Javan cleared his throat. "I must confess a visit from an esteemed and busy Commander for a footsoldier's debriefing, is cause for ... well, it is confusing. How can I be of assistance, Commander?"

         "We have a problem developing that could do with your particular skills." Draco stood and began to pace slowly with his hands held behind his back. Javan's face was set, but his eyes followed the Commander. "There is a situation brewing, in an area we thought was our stronghold.

         I must confess, there have been lapses in security, which have allowed the occasional breach." Draco turned to look directly at him now. "Do you follow?"

Javan nodded, but he did not. "There is a Mission Brief?" he asked, hoping to read up on it later.

         Draco sighed and returned to the chair. "Nothing will be in writing this time. This mission is one given to me from our Unholiness Satan himself. I have discussed the details with no one until now. Gabriel has visited the so called stronghold, at least twice during the passed moon that we are aware of."

         Javan leaned forward. "Archangel Gabriel?" Draco nodded slowly. "Well, where is this stronghold?"

         "A school in a small part of a town in the north of England. Until, last year there was no opposition. The whole population were safely under our influence. They were either against Jehovah or were too busy, rich or depressed to care."

         Javan waited. Draco continued still speaking soft and evenly.

         "Then a family moved to the area with a boy who was to attend the school. He was initially of concern, because his parents serve Jehovah genuinely and with such ... love ..." Draco had to clear his throat at the mention of such a powerful Word of Light. "Excuse me. They are genuine and transparent and well loved in their community, which is on the border of our stronghold.

         However, we succeeded in turning the child through the pressure of his school mates. We even got him to befriend a child in a family we have had a long relationship with.

         But another child has moved into the area. We had tormented the family for while and thought the unit would split, but they called on Jehovah. Well, you know the drill. Her armour is strong. We cannot get anywhere near her."

         "Excuse me, Commander," Javan was confused. "A boy … a girl … a school? Why would children be problem?"

         "This one has strong armour and has begun to befriend others at the school in our stronghold. We are nervous for two reasons. Firstly, we cannot get through her armour and secondly ... she is already becoming popular with influential members in that school."

         "I am sorry, Sir," Javan did not want to make the Commander angry, but he had to be clear about what he was being asked to do. "This child ... how strong can her armour be? This is England after all. The self-proclaimed most secular society in the world. And even proud of the fact."

         Draco started to drum his fingers on the desk as a display of his impatience. Javan had to recover Draco's favour quickly. "I am sorry Sir. What am I to do? Has Jehovah granted permission to cause her to die? Do you want me to cause her death?"

         "No, we have not approached Jehovah with that request as of yet. We would like know why Gabriel is so interested in that school," Draco stood up and paced back and forth for effect. “I do not need to remind you of what happened the last time Gabriel made a number of visits to the same area.”

         Javan grimaced. Two millennia ago, Gabriel had visited a priest, a carpenter and his fiancé and Jeshua arrived nine months later. The work of the fallen had not been so straightforward after that.

         "You are to maintain our status at that school. If you can turn the girl, all the better, but if not ... give her problems enough to wear her down. But we want to discover the reason for Gabriel's interest. If you can, deduce this. If not, secure our position there."



         Javan looked Draco in the eyes and nodded. "I wont let you down," he said with as much authenticity as he could muster.



         He fought hard to hide his thoughts. My talents used on a school ... in England ... to tempt children ... no a child! One child?

         Draco seemed oblivious of his thoughts. "You are to report to the existing Stronghold Manager for handover. He is not too happy at his own failure, but do not allow him to short change you on information or cooperation. Any lack in assistance must be reported to Gumerick, who will inform me directly."

         Draco had walked to Javan's seat and leaned over him to whisper in a deathly breath. "Failure is not acceptable in this stronghold. I advise you not to take any chances at all. The appearance of Gabriel can only mean Jehovah is on the move there. I don't like it.

         A school seems a small thing in the world, but boys become men and girls become women at schools. We don't know who Jehovah has His eye on, but you can be assured He has spotted someone."

         "I understand, Sir," Javan hoped he sounded convincing. He had no doubt that if he messed this up, Draco would send him to the abyss long before Armageddon.
© Copyright 2010 PaupersPen (stevetownsend at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1731292-Keepin-it-Real---2