*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1732302-Improve-your-child-confidence
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1732302
Exceptional tool to be a more available parents.


After school activities are good for health and have an excellent impact on a child's development. More activities can also mean, less family time. A lot of parents work up to six days a week. On the other hand, kids stay after school until 6pm for sports, hobbies, or at the care center.

When our kids wake up, we rush them to take a shower, get dressed, have breakfast, and jump into the car for school. The available time to chitchat about the kid’s day is in the car, on the way back home. As soon as we step in the house, the routines begin: snacks, homework, dinner and next day lunch preparation.

Before bed time, our kids will try to get our attention. Often, we will be half listening and half preoccupied by some office work brought home. Despite our best effort to take good care of our children, they might end their days missing us. Not to mention, the greater challenge it represent for the single parent family.

Dr. Russell Barkley PhD is specializing in the ADHD (attention deficit disorder.) He developed an exceptional twenty minutes method that parents can incorporate in a daily schedule.

Think commitment. Let your child know that each day, both of you will have a twenty minutes of special time together. If you have more than one kid, pick one for each day or alternate with your partner. When trying something new, even with a child, the first few minutes can be intimidating. Don’t be shy, just do it!

Attention and Participation. The goal is to let your child lead, and for you to actively participate and enjoy the moment that you are sending together. You are asked to play in a car circuit? Go ahead mommy, be a car racer. Your daughter is asking for you to be a princess? Show her that you enjoy being in her kingdom daddy.

Exclusivity and Security. Restrain yourself from watching television, responding to the phone or letting anyone else disturb this quality time with your child. To avoid interruption, inform the other family members that the moment is for you and the child you are with. If it is another kid, nicely remind him or her that twenty minutes is available for them as well.

Consistency. The key is to keep the same time frame. You might want to set a timer for your toddler. This way, you will help him or she to incorporate that there is a start and ending to all activities.

For the teenagers, chances are that he or she will not ask you to play. Show your interest for your teen passions, activities, accomplishments, and struggles. I cannot stretch enough how important it is to don’t under estimate teenage worries, and to keep their secrets private.

Confidence Instead of playing, your child might want to talk. Take the time to listen; it will develop their sense of trust toward you: you will built their self-esteem, attract better behaviour at school, and construct their strength in the society.

There is a reward for the twenty minutes routine with your little bees. The amazing result is a fewer chance for your child to seek affection or friendship at the wrong place, or from ill-intentioned people.

Dear parents, set a twenty minute per day for your child. I’ll bet you, this is better than winning the lotto!

Tell me what you think. What do you do to be a more available parent?


© Copyright 2010 Indexmind (violetzskin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1732302-Improve-your-child-confidence