*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1732446-The-Birthday-Wish
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Family · #1732446
Happy Endings To Help The Children Grow. The Poetic Storyteller.
The Birthday Wish
Inspired by The Birthday Party, a painting by Dr. Burroughs. Written By: Oba William King-The Poetic Storyteller.


This year is going to be different, Sarah Jean promised herself. It was her quiet wish when she blew out the candles on the pink frosted Transformer cake at her eight-year-old birthday party. Sarah Jean was the typical, eight year old, Daddy's Girl... Beautiful locks of hair, and eyes as bright as the morning star. She was tall for her age, and tough as lioness with the heart of an angel. She was very popular, and had friends from school and church as well as family members on both sides.  Today is Sarah Jeans, Big Day!!! Her Birthday PAR-TAY : Day! Her nothing can stop me from my dream, day!....

All the children laughed and played. The presents were piled high. She had pizza and burgers and hot dogs too. There was veggie chicken salad for sandwiches, Kool-aid, Sunny D and Capri Sun to quench their thirst.

The water hose was attached to the air jets on the swing bar, forcing a fine mist spray over all of the children. The children enjoyed the back yard activities and all the many fun toys. Sarah Jean’s Uncle G, made most of the obstacle courses and games stations in the back yard. Uncle G was such a great mechanic; he fixed everything around the house. But, he could not fix Sarah Jean’s big problem.

It was the middle of July on a Saturday, A perfect day for the party. The grown-ups were talking under the large gazebo, and the barbecue grill was smoking with charcoal and mesquite wood.

Sounds of soul music blasted from Sarah Jean’s auntie Nikki’s I-Pod stereo. The sunshine was bright. The breeze was cool. Everything was great, well almost everything. Sarah Jean’s couldn’t ask for anything more, except for her one wish.

Sarah Jean was the only child of Bob and Sandra. Bob and Sandra, married young, right after the baby was born they were divorced. Sometimes Sarah Jean stayed with her mommy and sometimes she stayed with her daddy, but never did they ever do anything together. She felt like she was different and her wish would make her normal.

Just once she wanted to have daddy and mommy together to share good times with her. Sarah Jean didn’t like having to split herself between the two of them. She loved them both. Why didn’t they love each other? Why didn’t they live together? What can she do to make things better? She had more questions than answers, so she just wished and prayed.

She prayed at night before she went to sleep. “Now I lay me down to sleep. Keep me safe all through the night, and wake me up at morning’s light.”

Sarah Jean wished on stars. “Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight.”

Sarah Jean wished on falling stars, wish flowers and pennies in the wishing well. Today, somehow she knew, when she blew the candles this time, this time, her wish would come true.

Sarah Jean had two of everything. She had a hat for mommy’s house and a hat for daddy’s house, a bike at daddy’s house and a bike at mommy’s house, a dog at mommy’s house and a dog at daddy’s house. She had two of everything except for the one thing she wanted most of all.

The birthday party was a huge success. Everyone she invited came to the party. Her daddy helped her make the invitations and send them in the mail. They wrote the addresses on the envelopes and sealed them with a kiss. The children played drums and made up songs and dances to go with the songs. They played Hokey Po-key, Simon Says, Brown Girl and Little Sally Walker. They hoisted the flag of the African people and sang out loud, red, black and green, the most beautiful colors We’ve ever seen. They even had a storyteller, he used his… IMAGINATION!

Just after the middle of the party, Sarah Jean’s dad gave her a big surprise. Her favorite magician joined in with the puppet show. The children all sat around and watched with amazement as the funny characters came to life.

Then it happened, right there in the fun of her party, smack dab in the middle of the show. A long blue car drove up and stopped in front of the back driveway. All the adults stopped and stared. Slowly the rear door of the mysterious vehicle opened. Uncle G moved quickly toward the curb. Daddy and auntie stood in front of the children. The magician turned the music down.

When the door of the mysterious car, slowly opened, Sarah Jean froze. Like she couldn't move a muscle or believe her eyes.  Then Sarah Jean ran as fast as she could, headed straight to where the car was parked and she jumped in her Mommy’s arms.

Sarah Jean hugged her mommy as tight as she could, super tight with her Ninja power grip. Mommy laughed and kissed Sarah’s cheek.

Looking over Mommy’s shoulder, Sarah Jean caught her daddy’s eye. She smiled at him and daddy smiled too.

Sarah Jean had her birthday wish come true.

End
© Copyright 2010 poeticstoryteller (rafikioba at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1732446-The-Birthday-Wish